The Macbook Monitor...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by openflap, Nov 1, 2008.

1. openflap macrumors newbie

Ok guys...i just sat down to finally watch a dvd (Die Hard 4.0) and realized the my new notebooks monitor SUCKS...its bleeding like heck...so much its annoying...and im not ubercrtical...

will the folks at the macbook store exchange my notebook for a new one...if i got it within the last 30 days? def over the 14 days...but i think i bought it the day after it came out...

2. mac jones macrumors 68040

they are all going to be like that. You would have to go with the Pro version.

Apple's base model doesn't play DVDs correctly .You have to move up to the higher end model for the DVD thing.

They put in a DVD player as like a demo for the Pro.

3. rs7 macrumors regular

Are you saying that a MacBook can't play a simple DVD? I hope this isn't true...I would think something as simple as playing a movie would be able to be done on the MacBook...my garbage Dell w/ Vista played DVD's fine... :\

4. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Uh... no. Every single one of Apple's current offerings is capable of playing a DVD (minus the MacBook Air without it's optical drive) flawlessly. They all include the same DVD player, and I'm pretty sure the optical drives are the same model for the MacBook and Pro. What's being referred to here is backlight bleed, as in how an LCD is lit. OP, if you think it's over the backlight bleeding standards take it to the Apple store and see what they see.

5. rs7 macrumors regular

Good...I was getting worried :p but... "Apple's base model doesn't play DVDs correctly .You have to move up to the higher end model for the DVD thing." <--still wondering what that means...and what exactly is bleeding?

Thanks

6. PeterQC macrumors 6502a

PeterQC

7. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

They play DVD's just fine - it's the seeing part that'll get ya'.;)

The display is less than great for any dark scenes or if there's a lot of dark hues intermixed. There have been a few threads in here that go into detail about the mediocre MB display panel.

You should see the same issues if you download say a free iTunes HD show. 30 Rock and Office have a couple of free HD episodes in iTunes you may want to download and try. At least that takes the DVD out of the equation leaving you with a bad display.

8. mac jones macrumors 68040

YIKES

Sorry, I was being Sarcastic as it's debatable that you would 'want' to play DVDs

The displays are ok but they have some serious glow that might make dark scenes terribly 'not dark'

if you watch DVDs you might not be all that pleased.

I'm keeping mine. I don't watch DVDs on laptops.

9. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

The MB monitor ain't that bad. I see slim to none leakage. Not enough to mess up dark scenes.