The Macrumors.com Dungeons and Dragons thread!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ozreth, Nov 3, 2010.

1. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

So I was wondering if anybody around here plays d&d, or possibly has some fond memories of days passed when I thought to myself "It's a computer forum, of course there are!" So I'm just going to drop this thread here and see what happens.

Which edition are you currently playing?
    Started with 3.5 right around 2003. Switched to 4e last year and played it a bunch before deciding it just isn't for me so I am back to 3.5 and happy : ) Would like to try out some 2e though!

What kind of game are you currently in or running?
    I am running Expedition to the Ruins of Greyhawk and playing in Red Hand of Doom. Both are great. I am slowly gathering resources for a Forgotten Realms game I want to run.

A character you haven't gotten the chance to play yet but would like to?
    Catfolk Bard!

2. bartelby macrumors Core

I last played D&D about 22 years ago. Have great, and nerdy, memories of me and my mates spending huge chunks of our summer holidays sat indoors hunched over die and character sheets!

3. ozreth thread starter macrumors 65816

ozreth

4. bartelby macrumors Core

There's no one I know who still plays it. I do get a good D&D type fix from World Of Warcraft though.

5. allmIne macrumors 6502a

allmIne

Aww, I remember playing D&D. It was great at the time.

Very fond memories of staying up til 7 or 8 in the morning, bickering and arguing amongst ourselves! We had no respect for the DM's authoritah!!1!!

Loved it.

6. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

I played regularly until about 3 years ago. We had a great group, but people getting new jobs and moving kind of killed the group. I was the DM, and it really died when I got a new job and moved to my current location. I still haven't found a new group around here.

That last campaign I ran was a hybrid between 3 and 3.5. I was running in a custom world I created about 15 years ago. The setting would take forever to describe, so just imagine ancient Greece (I used Greek gods) meets renaissance level Italy (about that level of tech). I have a soft spot for Greyhawk since it was the first campaign world I ever played in or ran in. I have played in FR under other DMs, but I never got into all that much.

As far as characters, I don't know. I have been playing for 20+ years, so I have played an entire spectrum of characters. I never really got into playing the off the wall type characters/races, though. I just never had an urge to play something like an orc paladin for very long.

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

It has been even longer for me. I think the last time I played D&D was when I was in junior high back in the late 70's & early 80's.

8. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

I started playing in college in '79'-'80' and have played all versions up to 3.0 . I stopped playing about 4 years ago when I left my gaming group. I recently joined a gaming group but it's running a Star Wars campaign game.

9. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I haven't played since the early 80's, I don't even remember which version that was. When they started "tweaking" the rules, adding specializations and stuff, I felt like it overcomplicated an already complicated game, and left.

10. TSE macrumors 68030

My dad played while he was on the submarine between 1979-1981.

I still play with my brothers and friends regularly about every other week. We play 1.0 with all the same books.

Interesting fact: My dad played Dungeons and Dragons with Gary Gygax about a month before Gary died, and when my dad asked Gary to sign his version 1.0 Dungeon Master's Guide, Gary put his signature coming out of the unicorn in the front's ass. Supposedly that's where he always signs it.

11. ozreth thread starter macrumors 65816

ozreth

Haha this is great! Please post a pic if you ever get the chance!

Your world sounds amazing : )

12. Queso macrumors G4

I played this many many years ago, starting off with the classic D&D then moving to the advanced version with a Greyhawk campaign. I always liked to play a "magic user" (or an elf in the classic one) as I thought the rest of the other types were a bit dull in comparison.

LOL. "The Keep on the Borderlands" just popped into my head. Yeah, once a nerd, always a nerd :D

13. ozreth thread starter macrumors 65816

ozreth

I feel the same way, I typically play casters.

I hear a lot of good things about Keep on the Borderlands. I might have to run it if I ever get an AD&D game going.

14. TSE macrumors 68030

I'll put a picture of the signature tomorrow.

Dungeons and Dragons is so awesome... I used to be ashamed of liking it but now every single person I know knows that I play and at first they were all hesitant but the people that I've invited to play all enjoy it a lot.

15. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I could be wrong, but I thought "The Keep on the Borderlands" was a Basic D&D module, as opposed to advanced.

[/nerd] :eek:

16. ozreth thread starter macrumors 65816

ozreth

I think it was originally but there are sometimes revisions of popular modules (tomb of horrors for instance has been revised for every version). I know it was rewritten for 3.5 at least.

17. Fezwick macrumors 6502

I have played D&D on and off for about 15 years. Started with the Rules Cyclopedia (basically simplified 1.0 rules), went on to 2nd edition, then 3rd and 3.5. I haven't played in a few years now. I have read the 4.0 rules but they really don't interest me.

I've played in Forgotten Realms, Mystara, Dragonlance, Eberron and various homebrewed worlds. Eberron is probably my favorite world as it seems pretty unique to me. Actually had my Eberron Player's Guide signed by Keith Baker when I was at GenCon a few years ago.

I'll have to get back into it again sometime soon. I was looking at getting into a Pathfinder game. The rules seem like a good compromise between 3.5 and 4.0.

18. CaptMurdock macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

I played in high school in the early eighties. Our DM was a genius when it came to games and puzzles (he was one of those guys who could solve a Rubik's cube in less than three minutes). He came up with all sorts of stuff...parrying tables based on the the type and speed of your weapon and the dice rolls. He expanded on the modules and the stuff he got from The Dragon (the official D&D magazine -- remember that) and continually blew us all away. And all this before any of us had a personal computer!

My older son was into D&D for a while. His manuals looked almost nothing like the stuff I had.

19. ozreth thread starter macrumors 65816

ozreth

I hear a lot of good things about Pathfinder. From what I can tell it is a super cleaned up version of 3.5, which could be awesome but I am happy with my 3.5 books. My group play pretty rules-light games and don't bother with balance and min/maxing etcetera.