Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

goborgh

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2020
I don't know it this has been said before, but I noticed when the hand flips the pencil, it looks like an Apple Vision barcode, like the ones for pairing the Zeiss lenses.

• Wow
Reactions: SidricTheViking

Arthur75

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2015
paris, france
Maybe you should get a gym membership? 🤣
:) Already have one, but seriously it doesn't feel confortable at all to read a book (currently I have an Ipad air)

Weight ipad air : 462 grams (and that's without any cover)
Weight kindle paperwhite : 205 grams

Weight ipad mini : 300 grams

Misuteri

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2018
When you add in a protective case, keyboard you are competing weight wise with a very thin laptop. When I have my Pro out of a case I am amazed how much smaller it feels.

Reactions: SidricTheViking

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
:) Already have one, but seriously it doesn't feel confortable at all to read a book (currently I have an Ipad air)

Different types of devices with different purposes. The iPad is considerably larger (even the mini) and it uses higher end materials instead of plastic. Sounds like you would want Apple to make an ereader.

RichHI

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2018
Princeville, HI
I am looking forward to upgrading an elderly iPad. My question which goes so far unanswered is, will Apple ruin the iPad 13" with an island or a notch. As I understand it I have three shots. 1) Buy an existing 12.9" with large storage micro led and no notch or 2) Buy a new type 12.9" iPad Air, with large storage or 3) Buy a 13.1" OLED iPad Pro with big storage. I guess I just have to wait and see but bringing out a new OLED screen for better viewing experience and thens ticket a large black circle in the picture makes no sense to me at all. If you get any pre realeases please let us know. Then there is the matte glass issue. Why make an OLED screen with improved backs and sharper picture and then stick a milky fuzzy covering to the screen? I hope it is actually a benefit.

Reactions: kazmac and jazz1

anthogag

macrumors 68020
Jan 15, 2015
Canada
Two keyboard zombies talk about moving the camera to landscape orientation….and they say they barely use their iPads 🤪

Maybe Apple will use AI to turn the face so the user doesn't look to the side.

Vision Pro does not replace iPad.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Wait and see. I want to pick up a couple of 9th gens due mom and I preferring the original iPads (I've been drawing on my iPad 7th gen almost exclusively for five years now. It's great for my use and mom could use a lighter iPad due to arthritis.)

That said, I'll be curious about the iPad Air, especially the 12.9", a mini would be most welcome though. I miss owning an iPad Mini.

Arthur75

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2015
paris, france
Different types of devices with different purposes. The iPad is considerably larger (even the mini) and it uses higher end materials instead of plastic. Sounds like you would want Apple to make an ereader.

Yes, for my use cases the Ipad is clearly a content consumption device and not a content creation/edition device. But of course that is because I use a macbook pro for content creation/edition, and I'm not a gamer (except for a current backgammon addiction on the Ipad, on which I should work on :) )

But Apple pushing the Ipad towards content creation edition in parallel to the notebooks, not sure about that.
(and I don't care about the cameras either, maybe the front one for video conf or calls, even that I never use it for)

So yes would really appreciate a "content consumption" oriented Ipad line, pushing on being light, not that powerfull, great screen and good autonomy.

And a pure ereader wouldn't do the job either for me, as I do quite a bit of web browsing and video watching (youtube or others) on the ipad as well.

And why there is no proper whatsapp app on the Ipads ? Considering the number of years both exist, quite strange !

Last edited:

David1964

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2017

Still hardly heavy.

• Disagree
Reactions: tonmischa

Crow_Servo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2018
America
I want to buy my wife an iPad for mother's day. She just gave birth to our first baby in Feb and she's done an amazing job as a mother so far. The last time I bought her an iPad was 8 years ago (16gb iPad mini) and she used it every day until it died a couple years ago. Which one should I get her?
She had a Mini before, so maybe another Mini?

Does she ever talk about iPads? If not, maybe she doesn’t need a new iPad after going two years without one. Has she replaced that iPad with something else by now?

But if you want to get her the best one, get her one of the upcoming iPad Pros. That’ll definitely surprise her, and it’ll be the latest and greatest version.

Besides, the Mini 6 (2021) is two and a half years old, so I wouldn’t really recommend it at this time. Maybe last year would’ve been the last good time to buy that model.

nottorp

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2014
Romania

Three body problem omnibus on paper weighs 1886 grams :)

I kinda regret I'm not reading it on the iPad...

GREEN4U

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2010
She had a Mini before, so maybe another Mini?

Does she ever talk about iPads? If not, maybe she doesn’t need a new iPad after going two years without one. Has she replaced that iPad with something else by now?

But if you want to get her the best one, get her one of the upcoming iPad Pros. That’ll definitely surprise her, and it’ll be the latest and greatest version.

Besides, the Mini 6 (2021) is two and a half years old, so I wouldn’t really recommend it at this time. Maybe last year would’ve been the last good time to buy that model.
Thanks! We have a 2024 15" Macbook Air M2 that we share right now and she uses daily. She also uses her iPhone 11 all the time even though it's dying on her. She would definitely use an iPad all the time (which would probably replace her iPhone at home until we get a new one for her).

Reactions: Crow_Servo

wmmead

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2017
Davis, California
for episode 101: What will Apple look like in 20 years? Apple 2044? Who will be in charge, what would the products be? Would they still be a huge company? Still at or towards the top in value? Will a government come into power that forces them to break up "ma-bell" style? Lots of fun stuff to wildly speculate on. Paint a picture for us of what you think it might look like in 20 years! Will Dan still be testing products and making review videos in 20 years?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.