Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

YouTuber and electric vehicle expert Ben Sullins joins us on this week's episode of The MacRumors Show to talk through all of the latest rumors and expectations around the Apple Car.

Apple initially intended its electric vehicle to have many unique design features, including no steering wheel or brake pedal, and inward-facing seats in a limousine-like configuration, but the company has since scaled back its ambitions. Now, the car is expected to have a more traditional design with a driver's seat, steering wheel, and conventional pedals. It was also planned to start at around $120,000 with full-self driving functionality, but now Apple is aiming for a sub-$100,000 price point with only limited autonomous driving capabilities on highways. Apple is purportedly aiming to launch the vehicle around 2026.

We discuss what Ben expects from the Apple Car's identity, unique selling points, driving style, and go-to-market strategy. Ben analyzes where the vehicle is likely to be positioned and its sub-$100,000 price point, and whether it can compete with Tesla's offerings. We also discuss autonomous driving functionality and where the broader electric vehicle market will be by the time Apple's car launches, how Tesla is likely to respond, and more. See more of Ben's work over on his YouTube channel.

Listen to The MacRumors Show in Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Overcast, Pocket Casts, Castro, Google Podcasts, or your preferred podcasts app. You can also copy our RSS feed directly into your podcast player. Watch a video version of the show on the MacRumors YouTube channel.

If you haven't already listened to the previous episode of The MacRumors Show, catch up for our discussion about the announcement of Final Cut Pro and Logic Pro for the iPad, the latest iPhone 16 Pro rumors, and more.

Subscribe to The MacRumors Show for more episodes, where we discuss some of the topical news breaking here on MacRumors, often joined by exciting guests like Mark Gurman, Marcus Kane, Christopher Lawley, Frank McShan, David Lewis, Andru Edwards, Tyler Stalman, Jon Prosser, Sam Kohl, Quinn Nelson, John Gruber, Federico Viticci,... Click here to read rest of article

Article Link: The MacRumors Show: Ben Sullins Talks Apple Car

Hey Siri, drive to Whole Foods.

Siri: I'm sorry, but I'm not allowed to drive in the woods. Also, driving in a hole may not be a good idea.
I wouldn't rely on Siri when it comes to Apple Car. Siri can't even get the annual year right..

This is with the latest iOS software 16.5 which was released yesterday. 🙈🙊

1684514855488.jpeg

NEPOBABY

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2023
Stop saying 'Full Self-driving' and start saying 'Advanced Semi-Autonomous Driver Assistance',

Because that's what it will always be for the majority. The only true self-driving cars are in highly controlled and designated areas that are not reflective of streets and organic cities around the world. The world does not want boring long ass streets with empty sidewalks like California. The world doesn't want to make jay walking illegal.

vegetassj4

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2014

MacAddict1978

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2006
Steering wheel is a fabulous idea. Who would trust Siri to drive them anywhere??? "Siri, take me to grandma's house."
Sometime later - "We've arrived at a local crack house."

Autonomous vehicles use camera recognition for lots of things - which Siri is supposed to be able to identify things in photos but is wrong half the time - imagine the possibilities of things that could go horribly wrong. I imagine death and destruction from her sheer stupidity.

Cross walks - Siri thinks its a lane and drives through it.

Playground signs - thinks they are yields and yields into a playground full of kids.

deebinem

Suspended
May 7, 2017
Converting 20** into 24hour time??? as in 8:16 PM and leaving off minutes in the answer????
I thought that was the case as well but when I just asked "how long ago was 2017" I got the answer 15 hours ago. It is 11:15am for me currently and 20:17 (10:17pm) should be 13 hours in the past.

Reactions: arkitect

vegetassj4

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2014
Steering wheel is a fabulous idea. Who would trust Siri to drive them anywhere??? "Siri, take me to grandma's house."
Sometime later - "We've arrived at a local crack house."

Autonomous vehicles use camera recognition for lots of things - which Siri is supposed to be able to identify things in photos but is wrong half the time - imagine the possibilities of things that could go horribly wrong. I imagine death and destruction from her sheer stupidity.

Cross walks - Siri thinks its a lane and drives through it.

Playground signs - thinks they are yields and yields into a playground full of kids.
At least that's better than some Uber driver's I've had.

TheWatchfulOne

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2009
That would require it to take you over the river and through the woods. A previous post claims Siri is not allowed to drive in the woods. And Michael Scott would advise you not to let it take you anywhere near water. Therefore, requesting to be taken to grandma's house sounds unreasonable and downright dangerous. 🤔

sjsharksfan12

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2020
San Jose, CA
This was a very interesting show/interview. It still bums me out that my Car Play on the 2016 Honda doesn't work anymore because while I do make do on the car mount, I miss the whole Car Play feature. I also don't know if it is worth changing out the entire infotainment system just to get car play back. I am not happy with Honda for this whole issue though. In terms of the electric car, I want it to be successful, but it's too much money and I need to be sold on it's reliability. There needs to be fast charging stations, a way to not be stressed driving from the Bay Area to either Reno or LA with it, and just make sure it works. Apple has promised the car for years and I hope they deliver. Would be nice to fix Siri though before it becomes widely available on the market.

Reactions: wilhoitm

wilhoitm

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Stop saying 'Full Self-driving' and start saying 'Advanced Semi-Autonomous Driver Assistance',

Because that's what it will always be for the majority. The only true self-driving cars are in highly controlled and designated areas that are not reflective of streets and organic cities around the world. The world does not want boring long ass streets with empty sidewalks like California. The world doesn't want to make jay walking illegal.

Full self driving will be a reality sooner of later! Have you used ChatGPT 4? It it like 100 million times smarter than Siri! It's so smart it is scary!

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2008
Given how highly buggy iOS 16 still is today, eight months after its release, and even after getting to the 16.5 update, I have to ask: How could anyone risk his life and the lives of others by buying an Apple Car and trusting that Tim Cook was competent enough to ensure that the autonomous driving software doesn't have bugs?

BobSc

Suspended
Mar 29, 2020
I wouldn't rely on Siri when it comes to Apple Car. Siri can't even get the annual year right..

This is with the latest iOS software 16.5 which was released yesterday. 🙈🙊

View attachment 2204331
I think it's very unfair to blame Siri and Apple for this. Although it seems that some expect Siri to read minds, Siri can't yet do that. "2016" is ambiguous. Without a label to indicate it's a year, Siri assumes it's a 24 hr time.

If you put year in front of 2016, you'll get the correct answer. In actuality Siri is quite good. The statement "How long ago 2016 was" places the verb "was" as the end of the sentence. That's not proper English grammar. But even with that, if the sentence was "How long ago year 2016 was", Siri will overcome the grammar and give the correct answer.

In my book, that makes Siri quite clever. And I use Siri all the time and rarely have any problem with it. Thanksl

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.