Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

On this week's episode of The MacRumors Show, we discuss our expectations about Apple's upcoming "Scary Fast" event, which is widely rumored to see the announcement of new Mac models.

We talk through the unusual nature of the event, with Apple announcing it less than one week in advance, opting for an unorthodox 5:00 p.m. Pacific Time start, and even offering an explicit nod to the arrival of new Macs with a Finder easter egg. The event is expected to see the debut of the M3 chip and some of its more powerful variants. Two Mac models are currently in the running to be announced, with the iMac and high-end MacBook Pro rumored to be on the table. We also discuss our feelings about the AirPods Max as we approach three years since their introduction and more.

The podcast is now on its own YouTube channel, so head over and subscribe to keep up with new episodes and short clips going forward:

You can also listen to The MacRumors Show on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Overcast, Pocket Casts, Castro, Google Podcasts, or your preferred podcasts app. You can also copy our RSS feed directly into your podcast player.

If you haven't already listened to the previous episode of The MacRumors Show, catch up for our discussion with Luke Miani about the new Apple Pencil with USB-C, the direction of the iPad lineup, and Vision Pro.

Subscribe to The MacRumors Show for new episodes every week, where we discuss some of the topical news breaking here on MacRumors, often joined by exciting guests like Mike Bell, Sara Dietschy, iJustine, Jon Rettinger, Andru Edwards, Kevin Nether, Arnold Kim, Ben Sullins, Marcus Kane, Christopher Lawley, Frank McShan, David Lewis, Tyler Stalman, Jon Prosser, Sam Kohl, Quinn Nelson, John Gruber, Federico Viticci, Thomas Frank, Jonathan Morrison, Ross Young, Ian Zelbo, and Rene Ritchie.

The MacRumors Show is now on X @macrumorsshowhttps://twitter.com/macrumorsshow, so be sure to give us a follow to keep up with the podcast. You can also head over to The MacRumors Show forum thread to engage with us directly. Remember to rate and review the podcast, and let us know what subjects and guests you would like to see in the future.

Article Link: The MacRumors Show: 'Scary Fast' Mac Event Expectations

wilhoitm

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Since this is a strange event, maybe we will see a M3 Mac Pro! Let me start that rumor now! 🤣

carloslegarda

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2007
Scary Fast. Short notice is scary fast. "Night time" schedule is more scary than day time.
I think if they announce new chips, they will be scary fast.
I'm guessing they will talk about how they plan to use AI and that will make getting things done on your Mac... scary fast as well.

For the accessories, I'm hoping for a backlit Magic Keyboard and an ergonomic Magic Mouse.

Announcing new MBPs makes sense in October because that's when companies determine their budgets for the next year and that's also enough time for power users to think about whether to give themselves an upgrade for Christmas.

Reactions: bumblebritches5

N0ughtsAndCr0sses

macrumors regular
May 30, 2017
UK
1698433648802.jpeg

picpicmac

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2023
"They can't plug and play these things" - oh, c'mon. The M3 will be 100% instruction compatible with the M2. And the AVP designers of the processing component will have had access to engineering runs of the M3 just as much as the laptop designers. Furthermore, the 3nm chip will likely draw less power, always a good thing when one has to carry a battery (as in the AVP.)

ric22

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2022
It will be 1 am in Europe, but 9 or 10 am in Beijing. Could it be Apple's way to attract the Chinese market ?
Beijing are currently 6 hours ahead of Europe, but the clocks go back here at the weekend, so 7 hours difference on Monday. I agree that it might be considered a 'treat' for the Chinese market, though.

Ahmamies

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2020
Beijing are currently 6 hours ahead of Europe, but the clocks go back here at the weekend, so 7 hours difference on Monday. I agree that it might be considered a 'treat' for the Chinese market, though.
Europe has three time zones.

Reactions: Frixos

DPL145$

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2020
"Beijing are currently 6 hours ahead of Europe: Huh?? How is this related in any way? Did Apple move their HQ to Europe (ok being a smart ass on that one)? The US doesn't end Daylight Savings until the first weekend in November...so that eventual time change will have no impact in the time difference between China and Cupertino California on Monday/Tuesday for the event 'presentation'. The 5pm event start time in Cupertino will be an 8am start time in Beijing.

Fuzzball84

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2015
There seem to be rumblings that the speed improvements are not as great as people expecting.

Yeah, there may be hardware ray tracing coming… but the time of this event just seems so odd.

Likely less attention all round… pre recorded…

I doubt base M3 is going to be the thing some people on here are making out. Especially if comparisons to A17 are considered.

Reactions: ralph_sws

ric22

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2022
"Beijing are currently 6 hours ahead of Europe: Huh?? How is this related in any way? Did Apple move their HQ to Europe (ok being a smart ass on that one)? The US doesn't end Daylight Savings until the first weekend in November...so that eventual time change will have no impact in the time difference between China and Cupertino California on Monday/Tuesday for the event 'presentation'. The 5pm event start time in Cupertino will be an 8am start time in Beijing.
I was just pointing out the other chap got his maths wrong. You got your maths right- 8am.

Frixos

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2020
Cook just recently visited China, which is a big deal. This event could be another way to appeal to Chinese market.

bumblebritches5

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2012
Michigang
A game console to replace the Apple Tv device for their upcoming VR device makes an awful lot of sense, especially with the prime time 8 EST time slot and the halloween trick or treat theme.

Warped9

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2018
Brockville, Ontario.
There seem to be rumblings that the speed improvements are not as great as people expecting.
I recall something about this awhile back. What I also recall is although the gain is not quite what was expected it was still respectable.

But candidly it’s meaningless speculation until the actual devices are tested and reviewed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.