Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

On this week's episode of The MacRumors Show, we talk through all of the top features and improvements we'd like to see come to tvOS 17, the HomePod, and HomeKit at WWDC later this year.

Apple is expected to unveil tvOS 17 and "audioOS" 17 at WWDC in June, offering a range of enhancements and new features. 2022's tvOS 16 was only a minor update to the Apple TV, so we discuss where we would like the OS to go next with features like widgets, Up Next improvements, and apps like Weather and Home.

We discuss how the HomePod could make better use of its top display, true surround sound, and synced alarms. Last year, Apple's Home app got a significant upgrade with a full redesign and a new HomeKit architecture. We consider how the Home app could take another leap forward with more powerful automations and camera feed improvements.

We also look at some of the latest Apple news, including iOS 17's rumored journalling app, mood tracking functionality, new Lock Screen, Apple Music, and App Library features, iPadOS 17's Health app and Lock Screen customization, Apple's AI-powered health coaching service, 32- and 42-inch OLED displays planned for 2027, and more.

Listen to The MacRumors Show in Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Overcast, Pocket Casts, Castro, Google Podcasts, or your preferred podcasts app. You can also copy our RSS feed directly into your podcast player. Watch a video version of the show on the MacRumors YouTube channel.

If you haven't already listened to the previous episode of The MacRumors Show, catch up for our discussion about all of the latest rumors about the software updates and new hardware expected to be previewed at this year's WWDC with Bloomberg's Mark Gurman.

Subscribe to The MacRumors Show for more episodes, where we discuss some of the topical news breaking here on MacRumors, often joined by exciting guests like Marcus Kane, Christopher Lawley, Frank McShan, David Lewis, Andru Edwards, Tyler Stalman, Jon Prosser,

Article Link: The MacRumors Show: tvOS 17, HomePod, and HomeKit Wishlist – What Do We Want to See?

mrr

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
We want to see an iPhone Pro support the Apple Pencil.

MrRom92

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2021
HomeKit devices need user permissions/parental controls

Videos in the Safari or the native video player need a rotation button

“Music” App needs FLAC support

Siri needs to get her GED

sjsharksfan12

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2020
San Jose, CA
Just started listening. Thank you for introducing yourselves to start the podcast.

I wish they would just do something to keep TVOS fresh. They really haven't changed it since the first Apple TV, and it's a little boring. I really hope they make it easier to update apps if you don't have auto updates on. I know with Roku, they have an option to update the app in their channel menu for each app. Why not have something like that for Apple TV, where you put it in jiggle mode and when you see what the options are and you have Folders or delete, you have another option for "Check for Updates". Either that or going into the app store app and you have a section for updates to be installed. It shouldn't be that hard to implement but Apple seems to not care about TVOS over the years.

stickyd8

macrumors member
May 26, 2009
How about the ability to make custom Video Playlists from our owned content on TVOS!?! I'm actually surprised it's been this long without the feature.

Reactions: subjonas

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
The only way Homepods would ever be of value to me would be if the "smarts" were modular and replaceable.

A speaker, especially one of this quality, will undoubtedly outlive the capabilities of the "smarts". The original homepods are now ~5 years old and by Apple standards about to go vintage and obsolete in another couple of years and in theory that means software support and connectivity could become challenged at any time. Why not make the speaker a "base" with a replaceable puck at the top that contains the "smarts". If this were replaceable we could get updated functionality to match the life span of the physical speaker. This would also protect ones investment in the speaker in case something happened to the "smarts", adding repairability. This opinion is not limited to Homepods but to any expensive "assistant" speaker.

sjsharksfan12

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2020
San Jose, CA
I agree about having a Home App on the Apple TV itself. The reason I bought the Homepod was to use it as a speaker with the Apple TV (And this was the original HomePod so I might consider selling it back and getting the newer ones, have they made the HomePod Mini be able to be default speaker on the Apple TV yet?) so why can't I update it on the Apple TV.

Reactions: 5786735

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Apple is expected to unveil tvOS 17 and "audioOS" 17 at WWDC in June, offering a range of enhancements and new features. 2022's tvOS 16 was only a minor update to the Apple TV, so we discuss where we would like the OS to go next with features like widgets, Up Next improvements, and apps like Weather and Home.
Expand the very limited Siri interface on tvOS. Give tvOS a version of Safari that allow its to show answers or links to Siri asked questions about entertainment content and many stats that people would like to make suggestions related to content.

The biggest issue with tvOS has is the lack of suggesting what to watch compared to MacOS and IPadOS with all the all app or web page interfaces.

That right there is what it needs not this use a Apple TV 4K for HomeKit/Matter because you can't get past doing nothing with tvOS for the last few years other then improve audio/video playback with tvOS apps.

Greyland

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2017
Eugene OR

On this week's episode of The MacRumors Show, we talk through all of the top features and improvements we'd like to see come to tvOS 17, the HomePod, and HomeKit at WWDC later this year.

We discuss how the HomePod could make better use of its top display, true surround sound, and synced alarms. Last year, Apple's Home app got a significant upgrade with a full redesign and a new HomeKit architecture. We consider how the Home app could take another leap forward with more powerful automations and camera feed improvements.

We also look at some of the latest Apple news, including iOS 17's rumored journalling app, mood tracking functionality, new Lock Screen, Apple Music, and App Library features, iPadOS 17's Health app and Lock Screen customization, Apple's AI-powered health coaching service, 32- and 42-inch OLED displays planned for 2027, and more.

Listen to The MacRumors Show in Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Overcast, Pocket Casts, Castro, Google Podcasts, or your preferred podcasts app. You can also copy our RSS feed directly into your podcast player. Watch a video version of the show on the MacRumors YouTube channel.

If you haven't already listened to the previous episode of The MacRumors Show, catch up for our discussion about all of the latest rumors about the software updates and new hardware expected to be previewed at this year's WWDC with Bloomberg's Mark Gurman.

Subscribe to The MacRumors Show for more episodes, where we discuss some of the topical news breaking here on MacRumors, often joined by exciting guests like Marcus Kane, Christopher Lawley, Frank McShan, David Lewis, Andru Edwards, Tyler Stalman, Jon Prosser,

Article Link: The MacRumors Show: tvOS 17, HomePod, and HomeKit Wishlist – What Do We Want to See?
I would like tvOS to finally mark movies, both purchased and on a connected computer, as watched as it currently does TV shows. I’ve been asking for this feature for at least a decade.

Axl2023

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2023
For a boom in the world of fans of home theaters and movie halls, tvOS 17 only needs to add bitstream support. If Apple does this, Apple TV 4K sales will grow very much. And, Apple TV 4K will become the most popular player.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
For a boom in the world of fans of home theaters and movie halls, tvOS 17 only needs to add bitstream support. If Apple does this, Apple TV 4K sales will grow very much. And, Apple TV 4K will become the most popular player.
Lets please clarify what you mean?

If you meaning that Apple adds bitstream support then from what streaming source? The entire streaming ecosystem doesn't provide lossless audio that accompanies any 4K or HD VoD via HDMI. Even if we look at this from apple lossless it is not supported for bitstreaming over HDMI.

Ellis.adam

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2016
I agree that Apple TV needs some fine tuning. Picture in Picture across all apps would be awesome, but likely require 3rd parties to use apples video player. Knowing where I would normally want to watch a sporting event/show when it’s available multiple places. Home Screen widgets like weather, sports scores from ESPN, tweaking up next. I know a lot of these would rely on 3rd party apps using the features that Apple offers which seems to be the issue across all operating systems at the moment; look at how few apps use the dynamic island or widgets.

I currently use Sonos for my speakers/ soundbars in my house. I feel like for me to switch to an HomePod based setup Apple would need to offer products across all areas such as soundbars to replace my arc and beams, portable speakers to replace my moves and roam, subs. Sonos also has the ability to mount devices which is nice. I have some things sitting on furniture, but others are wall mounted or hidden. I also don’t like to piece together between multiple brands so it would be an all or nothing.

Axl2023

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2023
Lets please clarify what you mean?

If you meaning that Apple adds bitstream support then from what streaming source? The entire streaming ecosystem doesn't provide lossless audio that accompanies any 4K or HD VoD via HDMI. Even if we look at this from apple lossless it is not supported for bitstreaming over HDMI.
I mean, the bitstream of sound for a bundle of Apple TV 4K + infuse (firecore). Then it will be possible to play all existing audio tracks. These include TrueHD (Atmos) / DTS-X.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
I mean, the bitstream of sound for a bundle of Apple TV 4K + infuse (firecore). Then it will be possible to play all existing audio tracks. These include TrueHD (Atmos) / DTS-X.
That would not be legal or possible. reference https://firecore.com/infuse
Go beyond iTunes and avoid wasting hours converting or transcoding files. Infuse's powerful, super-efficient playback engine supports just about every video file ever created including: MKV, MP4, AVI, ISO, DVD, BDMV, and many, many others.
While people can buy non-licensed media players instead of licensed 4K UHD BD/BD players and do their own file ripping to a storage medium and use that for that purpose. Apple 4K digital streaming receiver is not licensed for specific lossless audio playback over HDMI. The fact that this product says it works with ISO says it's a no can do. Saying that it's permitted in some EU or Asia countries won't fly either. It is the way it is. The content owners get the last word. ;)

hagar

macrumors 68020
Jan 19, 2008
How about Siri not responding with
- I don’t know who’s talking
- please unlock your iPhone first
- I don’t know how to do that
- something went wrong with x
- one minute…
- try again later
- you’ll have to use your phone to do that
- check your phone for web results
- I can’t find a home accessory called x when there is in fact a home accessory called x
- *silence*
- …

Axl2023

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2023
That would not be legal or possible. reference https://firecore.com/infuse

While people can buy non-licensed media players instead of licensed 4K UHD BD/BD players and do their own file ripping to a storage medium and use that for that purpose. Apple 4K digital streaming receiver is not licensed for specific lossless audio playback over HDMI. The fact that this product says it works with ISO says it's a no can do. Saying that it's permitted in some EU or Asia countries won't fly either. It is the way it is. The content owners get the last word. ;)
Bitstream was in early versions of tvOS. His support was removed in 2018. Among licensed players, bitstream support is available, for example, in Nvidia Shield.

Reactions: caliguy

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
I want to see the iOS 15 version of the TV app restored. That’s all I really want. The one that actually helped me keep track of what I wanted to watch instead of the one that is constantly advertising at me.

I’ve given up hoping that anything I actually want will be announced. I am prepared to be blindsided by new limitations like removing the SIM slot, or for features I never imagined them wasting time on like karaoke.

TechRemarker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
Most people with AppleTVs presumably have more than one person in the home, often several. ATV has profiles, but relatively unhelpful, since very little is profile specific. One would expect the option for ones own home screen of apps but instead every use kids to adults have to have the exact same. And most importantly apps aren't cached per profile. So not only do you have to manually choose your profile each time, then each app you open you have to choose your profile again. All of which most probably never do consistently and thus everyones watch list is mixed with others. Thus ones up next and recommendations (the one thing that is unique in profiles) is also relatively useless since it's muddled with everyone's results. Wish each time it turned on the tv rather than just saying what profile you are on, there was an option that forced you choose a profile. Off by default, but option for families since that would make it 100% more likely people would choose their profile when turning on the tv.

Also having to sign into all your apps on every tv every once in a while is a nightmare. While apps don't seem eager to make it easier, it would seem there would be ways Apple could make it much easier.

Right now their an app home screen an an up next home screen. These should be combined, one homepage, with always most importantly a row of what you have watched easily to continue to watching, and a row of recommendations and a row of apps and a more button to view a full screen of them all when needed. Also be notified with marking seasons as want to see.

Finally, adding the ability to much more easily mark as seen, including marking a full season as seen or up to a certain episode as seen like JustWatch and ReelGood and Google TV to an extent with a mobile app and mac app for this. They have it in the AppleTV but very limited.

Of course Siri is integral to AppleTV but is aweful compared to Google's, but there is little no chance we'll see a change in that regard since Siri needs to be fundamentally rebuilt for that and that is not happening anytime soon.

The remote is too minimal. A remote with a few customizaeable action buttons that you could use for opening up your favorite apps with a click or opening a Guide on Hulu, or switching profiles. And if they won't then allow third party remotes to access deep links to apps, and Siri as currently only a few remotes off that which are several thousand and require third party setup and maintenance.

Looked switching to Chromecast and while it fits the bill far more than AppleTV in so many ways, there hardware does not. There are some chinese brands that do but no guarantee of support or that they will last. Nvidia Shield is the closet, but hasn't been updated in years, and still slow performance wise compared to AppleTV and Android Apps on TV in many cases lack more of the polish, and doesn't integrate with the Apple ecosystem as well.

Finally (think I already said that), adding a social component, such as by buying Letterboxed and or RottenTomatoes with thriving ecosystems and integrating into the single app would be amazing.

But I expect almost none of this in iOS 17. Lots of it they probably don't do because content providers don't want them to, and Apple rarely completely reinvents their apps, and anything we see will be minor and over the next decade.

ahovis

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2016
What is desperately needed in HomeKit is a way to review notifications. Why is there not a log to check for a history of what happened over a time period?

Reactions: Burger Thing

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Bitstream was in early versions of tvOS. His support was removed in 2018. Among licensed players, bitstream support is available, for example, in Nvidia Shield.
Yes some did have several years earlier when UHD 4K was brand new , then Mediatek FW removed it when discovered. The Nvidia Shield is a streaming media player, not a licensed 4K UHD BD player is my point. Apple can’t legally do the same as they are involved with studio productions with the content they provide with Apple TV +.

v3rlon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2014
Earth (usually)
I would like to see HomeKit better designed for how people live.

Include the word “and” so “turn on the living room lights AND the dining room lights” or “turn on the living room lights AND make them blue” or “turn on the dining room lights AND the air purifier.” Make it work only for the same speaker so no one can piggy back on your commands.

Make it dead easy to set up routines. Wouldn’t it be great to “hey Siri, when my wife gets up, tell her I went to get tacos.”

Or to set multiple timers with names? One for the roast and one for the potatoes? The competition does this one pretty well.

Or to dismiss the doorbell image on Apple TV when you can see it’s a false alarm.

Or program custom messages like to remind a certain teenager not to be late to school.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.