The Madeleine McCann case just gets weirder and weirder

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Hello.there, Mar 20, 2008.

1. Hello.there macrumors 6502a

Hello.there

Car belonging to Madeleine case witness destroyed in blast

A CAR belonging to Russian computer expert Sergei Malinka, who has been questioned by police as part of the Madeleine McCann investigation, was destroyed in an explosion in the early hours of this morning (Thursday, March 20) in Praia da Luz.

The incident is said to have taken place at around 5am next to his apartment, where the word “fala” (talk) had been written on the pavement next to the car......

[​IMG]

2. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

You are right Hello.there, this case just gets weirder and weirder. I wonder who destroyed his car?

3. djellison macrumors 68020

We've had the McCann's private investigative team tell the press, on several occasions, that they're 'going to get her' and it's been lies every time.

I really don't know what to think of the whole case. It's very very weird.

Doug

4. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

Definitely right on that one- very odd and widely reported too... at least by the daily mail!

5. roisin and mac macrumors 6502

Yeah, this whole story is kind of iffy... I can't remember any kind of case lasting so long in the public eye--ever, in any country. Been going strong for what over 10 months now:eek:

6. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JonBenét_Ramsey

7. roisin and mac macrumors 6502

Ah yep, I think you're right on that. I knew about this one (heard of it a few months back when they caught that guy who allegedly had something to do with it? Not sure whether he's been convicted or what became of that though) But I'd never made the connection, strangely enough. Still, it bears similarities in terms of the media coverage, but that's pretty much it; they had a dead person there, which makes the whole thing rather different I daresay. Plus the parents were never actually charged were they? Here they are in a sort of 'formal suspect' status, which I guess shows that the police really suspect them.

I still can't think of anything quite this big happening before in terms of Europe. It's still strange though in the way the parents had started this great big PR campaign. It certainly isn't a regular occurrence to see parents who have lost a child to what they say is stranger abduction to engage a PR man--one previously used by their country's government.

Hmmm. Maybe it's just me and my suspicious mind ;), but all this seems a bit unusual.

8. MacHipster macrumors 6502

We can't go on together with suspicious minds.

Unsolved cases of this nature never die. JonBenét Ramsey, Natalee Holloway, Jack the Ripper, etc.

9. DividedByZero macrumors newbie

Weird indeed, also the other one, I think her name is Shannon is pretty weird.

10. roisin and mac macrumors 6502

Gawd, I hope not (the unsolved bit I mean). Never finding out the truth of what happened to the poor mite would be awful for all those loads of people who are heartily sick of being fed all sorts of dodgy stuff and outright lies by a press that is on the whole rather lazy in terms of investigative journalism, as well as by the parents' spokesperson guy. Plus, wouldn't you get pissed off if someone came out and said that people in britain leave under-fives alone all the time to go and partay! and that it's just a 'cultural difference' <insert snooty facial expression here> I mean, it's no wonder so many folks in the UK are pissed. I'd be too, it makes them look bad and for no reason as that's not what they're like!

hee, thanks for the video. I love getting links like videos and stuff like you did, it's like getting a present ;)

Yeah, nowhere as weird as the Madeleine McCann case though; you know, there's the length, and the media involvement is very strange, especially over such a long time.

11. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

A big part of that media attention is due to her parents, who have understandably put a lot of effort into making sure their daughter's case stays in the public eye.