The main thing holding me back from buying rmbp

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hyloba, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Hyloba macrumors 6502

Hi,

I have one major problem with osx in general, it's using an external mouse. I could use the trackpad for casual use, but I need a mouse for more work related stuff. It already annoys me that you can't have natural scrolling for trackpad, and reverse scrolling (actually normal scrolling) for mouse, seperately. But the worst is the accelerated scrolling, where 1 slow scroll moves down the page with 1 pixel, but one fast scroll, takes you down the whole page. And the last annoying thing is when I do have reversed scrolling on, volume control is still upside down, so scrolling up silences the sound, which is not right at all.

Oh, I don't like the apple mouse, so that's no option for me.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Get a mouse then.

I use a mouse most of the time myself. I don't like the trackpad and so I opt for the mouse.

I'm not sure why you attribute that to OS X but either way, getting a mouse should be a show stopper

3. Cablekevin macrumors member

I'm coming from a full blown desktop, and i'm never regretting switching to my rMBP for my main workstation. You'll get used to it once you can get your mind to be open for this idea.

4. Hyloba thread starter macrumors 6502

I did. The whole post was about me having problems with an external mouse.

Well yeah, I'd also like to switch but I find mouse important. I know there is a program to separate mouse and trackpad scrolling, but that leaves me with 2 problems:
    Accelerated scrolling on mouse
    Reversed volume scrolling when everthing else is normal on mouse

5. Merode macrumors 6502

Merode

6. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Don't buy one then

To be honest if you don't like OSX and how it works buy a different laptop.

7. Hyloba thread starter macrumors 6502

It does indeed solve one of my two problems, which is something!
    And I don't want to come over as a whiner, but that still leaves me with 2 problems. Sorry for complaining though. It's just that I don't want to regret a purchase.

8. sfwalter macrumors 68000

sfwalter

I would just pull the trigger. I think in the end you will be happy.

9. Hyloba thread starter macrumors 6502

So I mention I don't like how it handles an external mouse, while searching for a solution, and you claim I don't like a complete operating system? Then I don't like any operating system. I hate all, and all have problems that annoy me...
    I'm just trying to get the best OS at the moment for my needs, no need to get defensive..

10. nudoru macrumors regular

I bought two MS Sculpt Comfort mice, use SmoothMouse and love mousing on my Macs - both of them. I use the same scroll direction on both, because "natural" is backwards :p

11. snaky69 macrumors 603

Not trying to sound like an ass, but... How about just getting used to how it works like every single person that ever has bought as MBP ever since natural scrolling came to be?

EDIT: Double post, my router is being funky.

12. Hyloba thread starter macrumors 6502

That's actually because I'm afraid I can't get used to it and might regret my purchase.

But maybe I should try to get used to it. If I can't within 14 days, I can always send it back I guess.

13. vmdc macrumors regular

vmdc

You can also try this:

http://www.usboverdrive.com/

I've been using it since I started using Mac. I use both mouse and trackpad and it works great. It doesn't solve your reverse scrolling for volume though.

14. blooperz macrumors 6502

Humans are a very adaptable species =p. You will be fine...It takes a bit of a break in period but after a while you won't believe you did it any other way, just need to get that muscle memory working, like any other habit. cheers

15. Tourgott macrumors member

Personally I got used to the trackpad. And now I can't imagine going back to a mouse. I don't know why but working with the trackpad is so much more "natural". Plus I love all the swipe gestures. They are really useful.

16. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Sorry but I don't understand your problems.

1. There is a separate scroll speed option for the mouse (System Prefs > Accessibility > Mouse Options). I find the accelerated scrolling a good feature. You should be able to adjust quickly.

2. Do you have to use the mouse to adjust the volume? I never do it. Is this really something you will base your purchase decision on?

17. snaky69 macrumors 603

I forgot to mention: you can adjust the volume with keys on the keyboard that are already programmed to do so out of the box. You don't even need to use a mouse to do that.

18. Hyloba thread starter macrumors 6502

Op here, I'd like to respond to some comments in general.

I went to test the mbp again with my mouse, and I think I'll get used to the accelated scrolling. And I guess adjusting volume will also be no problem to do with the keyboard. And I can indeed download a program to do some fixing as well.
    So it's good that I can adept, and I will of course, it was just a little bridge to cross. So thank you all for the comments!!

However I have one small question left. If you install parallels with windows 8, will mouse settings transfer, or will the mouse act differently in windows?

19. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

The mouse wikll act according to your settings in windows as that will be the OS and drivers controlling it.