The MBA 13" Screen Bezel

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by VNJ85, Jul 3, 2015.

1. VNJ85 macrumors newbie

I just received my MBA 13" and I had to do a double take as soon as I opened it.

Does anyone else think the bezel around the MBA 13" screen looks outdated?

I just upgraded from my 2010 MBP 17" to a brand new MBP 13". The first thing that popped out at me was the bezel around the screen. It feels like an antiquated design.

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed this?

Please don't misunderstand my intentions here, I love my new MBA... but the design just popped out as vastly under par for the device. I would hope they take a look at this aspect and think of a way to revamp it for the next model. Perhaps a black bezel like the rest of the MB/MBP lineup, or perhaps a bigger screen with less bezel space around the screen. The current bezel just gives the physical screen a crowded feel to it... it feels like something you would expect to see on an old PC laptop.

2. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

It's outdated because it was last redesigned in 2010. The real redesign is the new 2015 MacBook thats more "Air" than the current Air but Apple couldn't just ditch the MBA because it's got the ports, the power, and the battery life going for it that they couldn't match with the new MacBook just yet. Maybe in a few years, but not now.

It's also silver instead of black glass like the rest of the lineup but I kind of like it because it doesn't attract as many fingerprints and it's just different. I'll take my rMBP over it any day but for my work machine I love it.

I wouldn't mind if Apple went the way of the Dell XPS 13 which has nearly no bezel and looks amazing, but oh well. It does provide a bit of protection I guess.

Here's a perfect example of the XPS and the MBA: [​IMG]

3. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Unfortunately the bezel is just one of several ways that the Air now feels outdated compared to the rest of the lineup...

4. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

You only realized this after you purchased the computer? ;)

Personally it doesn't matter to me one way or the other. I look at the screen when I use the computer, not the bezel.

5. cerberusss macrumors 6502a

cerberusss

I've come to enjoy that bezel because, like the other poster stated, it resists fingerprints.

6. motrek macrumors 68020

The unibody MacBook [Pro] had a black glass bezel and that was released before the MBA.

So if anything the silver bezel is more recent and up-to-date. :)

7. Significant1 macrumors 6502

If you ordered the unibody Macbook pro with the higher res antiglare display, it also came with alu bezel.

8. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Ha! It certainly doesn't look that way! I feel like my wife's Air is like looking at the screen through a picture frame.

9. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

I like it. Gives you something to grab to close the lid. I'd be in a pickle trying to grab the screen itself to close the lid. I like a bezel that's the size of my fingers.

10. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

I actually like it and wish it were on my model. It's 10x better than glossy black embedded behind a glass panel. Some of the AG 15'' MBP models from back in the day have that same bezel as well.

It's much better than other options trust me.

11. Xplode35 macrumors newbie

I guess I'll go against the grain of this thread and say that I prefer the more aesthetic black rather than the silver bezel. Just looks so purrrrty. It's what's kept me from buying a MBA after my MBP15 (non-retina) was stolen :/. The new MB is a freakin rip considering its specs and lack of ports (wtf were they thinking). We should refer to it as the M2B, as you should only get it if you have Money 2 Blow. Hoping for a MBA revamp in the fall. Will even wait for it to launch in the Spring if I have to. What I realized after starting my first full-time job is that I can go without a computer at home, so I got time to wait.

12. ucfgrad11 macrumors member

I do wish they would have had a space gray version come out for the 2015 model. I do prefer the black but after a month or so I don't really notice anymore.

13. SSD-GUY macrumors 6502a

I really like the look of the XPS 13, however the bottom bezel just kills it. It's thicker than the MBA bezel and just ruins the whole look in my opinion.

14. Digger148 macrumors member

Digger148

Personally, I like the silver bezel very much. Also, I wish the keys were painted to match as in the pre-unibody MBP.

15. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

The bezel has pretty much remained unchanged since the original MacBook Air was released in 2008. In fact, if anything, the bezel on the late 2008 MacBook Air I'm posting this with is a tiny bit smaller than the current Airs.
    Incorrect. The original MacBook Air was released some months before the unibody MacBook Pro.

16. motrek macrumors 68020

Good point. I forgot about the original MBA.

17. Splitbolt macrumors regular

Yeah, I wish they fit a 14" display into it since there is plenty of space.

18. krspkbl macrumors 6502

krspkbl

It could be a bit smaller but I prefer it to the black/glass of other models.