The mess that is iTunes and Digital Booklets!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by imacken, May 19, 2014.

1. imacken macrumors 65816

Can someone explain what is going on with iTunes and digital booklets for music?
    Some time ago, it was simple, the DB just got downloaded with the album and appeared in iTunes along with the album tracks.
    Recently, there seems to be no logic to what happens. Some are still showing in the album section, but others are transferred to iBooks! Why on earth would we want to load another app to see the booklet?
    I thought that if I copied the DB to the relevant album folder, then I could see it in iTunes and then change the metadata so that it stayed there. But.....no. Doing that, iTunes immediately moves the db pdf from the /Music/Artist/Album folder to /Music/Books/Artist folder.
    What a mess!
    Does anyone know how to make the db permanently stick in the album folder?

2. arefbe macrumors regular

arefbe

For me, the digital books are opening up in Preview. When did that start?

3. imacken thread starter macrumors 65816

Yep, they open up in Preview if they are visible in the album view. Those pdfs have not been hit by iBooks because the metadata will show the same as the album e.g. Media Kind = Music (not book), Album Artist, etc.
    As I said above, I still have some showing up in the album view, but others go straight to iBooks.
    It used to be possible to edit the metadata in iTunes, but now certain DBs are moved immediately from the album folder and into Books whenever iTunes start after copying a DB into the album folder.
    I think this all started about 6 months ago.

4. arefbe macrumors regular

arefbe

I appreciate the info. I gotta start paying more attention! Thanks!

5. APPLENEWBIE macrumors 6502a

I agree that iBooks and the Books app are a complete mess in terms of management. Why do I have to use iTunes syncing to manage books and PDFs in iBooks and Books.app. It would be much more intuitive if it was all done through iCloud. I still have not figured out a way to sync my iBooks collections accurately between iOS and OS X machines.

6. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Haha I just stumbled on this thread - funny because I was going through my library, and it was sorted by everything NOT in iCloud - I saw these digital booklets, and i just laughed... Deleted them all - problem solved.

7. imacken thread starter macrumors 65816

Helpful.
    Is there no one here that can offer a solution to this issue? For example does anyone know how to edit the metadata outside of iTunes?

8. SUPERJAIME macrumors newbie

I lost ALL digital booklets about 3 months ago when I went from PC to MAC (mini). Lost everywhere, not in itunes not in iBooks not in newsstand. What a mess! Makes me want to not buy from itunes store anymore. Does anyone have advice. Thanks for your trouble.