Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

musiclover166

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2008
i'm looking to make my big first mac book pro purchase tonight, pretty excited! i'll be getting a 2.5 mbp with added memory, but am still having difficulty deciding about the matte/ glossy issue after sifting through allll of the many many threads about it. i use photoshop a bit as well as the iDVD and the video editing software, but i will be on the computer for hours a day just writing away, and i get headaches easily...so would glossy be a poor option? advice would be helpful!!

also, is there a big difference between the 2.5 and 2.6 version? i have lots of music and use safari and have many many photos but aside form that, would 2.5 cut it?

thanks!! :)

bix21

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2008

get the 2.5- you wont be able to tell the difference and it will handle everything you need. I would also get the matte screen as it is nice to be able to view the screen from an angle without receiving glare.

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
the best advise that i can give you is:

go to an apple store and check them out, they have both
or a best buy store

you will see for yourself

edit: matte lcd's for laptops are really old school

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
For your applications, you probably wouldn't notice any difference at all between the 2.5GHz and 2.6GHz processors. A bigger difference would be upping the RAM from 2MB to 4MB.

As far as the screen, your best bet, if you can, is to go to an Apple store and spend some time with both the matte and glossy, noting how much the glare affects you. I have chronic daily headaches from back problems and can comfortably spend 12-18 hours a day on my MBP with a matte screen. The eyestrain from dealing with the glare on a glossy screen would have me running in 15 minutes. But that's me. Everyone is different, which is why it's best to check for yourself.

kabunaru

Jan 28, 2008
Get matte. My eyes started to hurt/strain after a long use with glossy. So, matte. Matte would be better for people who spend a lot of time on the computer.

GaryKessler

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2008
Get the Matte Display and buy a screen protector

I made the mistake of NOT buying a clear plastic screen protector on my previous G4 Titanium Powerbook and in the first year managed to scratch the display with a ball point pen. Not serious, but VERY annoying. Apple wouldn't initially replace it, but Apple eventually replaced it when it went in for other fixes in the last week of apple care. (in the last week of the extended warranty they replaced the display, hard drive, optical drive, mother board, keyboard and airport card - essentially a whole new computer) I bought a new MacBookPro last year and bought a Macally clear plastic screen protector, which protects the display from scratches and dumb things like a ballpoint or felt tip pen sweeping across it, and turns the matte screen into a somewhat glossy screen, but not as glossy as the glossy screen you'd order. I'm a writer too and it's not a problem staring at it all day and I wouldn't have another laptop without a screen protector. It's great for staring at the blank page for hours and hours on end. LOL It's $7 versus well over $1,000 to replace the screen.

Gary K

musiclover166

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2008
thanks for the responses, I'm pretty sure of the matte now, although I'd now love to see it in person before I purchase.

Do apple stores offer mbps with the option of extra ram all set up so customers can just walk in and buy them, or is BTO only online?

swingsong

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2001
Matte. As a print designer for over 10 years, I can assure you the colors are accurate enough for Photoshop and will reduce your eye strain and look more like paper. Save glossy screens for gamers and DVDs nuts I guess.

KingYaba

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2005
Up the irons
Do apple stores offer mbps with the option of extra ram all set up so customers can just walk in and buy them, or is BTO only online?

Only online and I would suggest saving a lot of money by purchasing your upgrades from a 3rd party vendor. Upgrading memory does not void your warranty and you can get 4 GB for under $100 now. Apple charges $400. :eek: A few suggestions:

http://www.macsales.com

http://www.datamemorysystems.com/

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
matte vs glossy really is a personal preference. no one can tell you which is 'better'. get to a store and take a look at the different screens and see which one works the best for you.

and ram? always install yourself. easy to do and much cheaper.

virtualinc

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2007
Carrboro, NC, USA
For your uses, I'd say save five hundred bucks and get the 2.4. And you'll probably be happier with the glossy screen. I'm a designer and have a matte display for work, but I prefer a glossy screen on my laptop. Much better contrast makes for much easier reading. Photos look fantastic on it, too.

tmelvin

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2008
I agree with some of the other posters here; go to a store and take a look. Those that say the glossy is terrible is based on their opinion. I have a glossy White MB 2.2 and it's fine. I don't write novels, but do a ton of business corespondents and some light HTML, and it's great. Light, portable, fast, and easy to use. Plus, how often do you look at your notebook from an angle? I don't...I usually sit right in front of it.

If you're editing photo/film, and need the best possible color, etc. then get a Mac Pro, ACD and knock yourself out. But my refurb MB/2.2 for under $900 is always with me...like a good friend :) [Okay, I know...I need to get out more :p)

Lunja

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2005
Lincoln UK
I echo what's already been said. The matte screen will be far more comfortable to work on for long periods of time, and the 2.4 will be powerful enough to handle video.

If you are going to be spending a lot of time writing, it may be worth looking into external keyboards. If you've been writing on desktop keyboards in the past and then switch to the flatter laptop keyboards, you may find them uncomfortable. If writing is your profession then you can't afford any downtime because of an uncomfortable keyboard...

Just my 2p :)

athenaesword

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2008
Um.... how about not trying to write on the screen? It's free! :D

lol that cracked me up. although it's probably not such a good idea at the poor guy who scratched his screen. he did get it fixed though under warranty so i guess u do get to annoy him. can't decide.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.