The "Minnesota" Dictionary? WTF?!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MatthewLTL, Mar 23, 2015.

1. MatthewLTL macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

I came across this on a website where I found some HTML code I needed for my personal website. This reminds me of the Movie about Minnesotans where it deplicts us as hillbilly trailor-trash. We in Minnesota DO NOT TALK LIKE THIS!!!!!
    Most of these seem to be a play on words such as "Honest" being spelled without the "H" (which is obviously how it's pronounced anyways!) Another example is "BA-TREE" or "BA-TREES" that is techincally how "Battery" and "Batteries" is pronounced. Whats with the back-woods hillbilly spelling/lingo?! I don't know about Northern Minnesota (where this "Dictionary" is based on), but here in the Southeastern part of Minnesota WE DON'T TALK LIKE THIS!!!!

2. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Seems like you do, however, write in Comic Sans. :eek:

3. MatthewLTL thread starter macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

the entire website is written in Comic Sans MS, What's that gotta do with anything?

4. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Comic Sans is a bit of a joke on the intertubes, that's all.

5. MatthewLTL thread starter macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

I don't get it? The only reason I like Comic Sans is because it's a font that is cross-platform whereas my font of choice, Impact, Seems to be strictly Windows

6. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

It's not particularly important; I meant no offense to you.

7. adk macrumors 68000

adk

Isn't this the third thread about Minnesota you've started in about 24 hours?

Also, Minnesotans most certainly do say Uffda.

8. bunnspecial, Mar 23, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2015

bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Comic Sans is probably one of the most hated fonts in the world, primarily because it's a perceived as being child-like and casual.

It's never appropriate in business or professional correspondence.

I'd also say that Impact isn't much better.

Arial is a good general purpose, cross platform, serious font, although I'm not a fan of it as it's really a rip-off of Helvetica that Microsoft created to avoid licensing fees

I use Helvetica wherever Arial is called for and is available, although it's not one of the font options available on this site.

Times New Roman is also a good font and what I'm currently using for important stuff like journal articles and my dissertation, although it's considered a bit dated and somewhat stuffy.

Georgia is my personal preference for a Serif font, although it's not as widely used or as cross platform

I would classify Impact as not being much better than Comic Sans in terms of being serious fonts. In fact, to my eyes it's substantially less readable than Comic Sans. I can at least stomach reading something in Comic Sans. If I came across a document or website written in Impact, I don't think I'd be able to put the paper down or hit the back button quickly enough.

If you want to a safe cross platform font that makes your stuff not look like it was written by a 12 year old, either Times or Arial are good bets.

BTW, with regard to the subject of the original post, I'd venture to guess that Kentucky/Appalachia and the South has been much more of a punching bag for many years than most on this sort of stuff. Although I don't use many of the expressions and phrases I've seen in many of these lists, I do use some of them and have most certainly heard them. Don't take it personally, but take in the spirit that they were originally intended.

There was an interesting dialect quiz making its rounds on the interwebz a while back that asked a series of questions about how you refer to various common things. When I took it, it pinned me down to Lexington as being the #1 most likely location I was from, and Louisville as #2. Since I was born and grew up about 20 miles from Lexington, and have lived in Louisville for 5 years(while still spending a lot of time close to Lexington), I'd venture to guess that it was pretty accurate.

9. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

What movie was that?

10. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

OTOH, I am offended by the over-3,000 words that you copy-pasted here, for no good reason.
    Content (funny!), but not the length. TL,DR!

BTW, I lived in NE North Dakota, not far from Minnesota border, and know several folks who offer an "uffda!" in a variety of situations.

11. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Some of you do.

12. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Honestly, I hate when people use different fonts unnecessarily on forums. It takes away from the clean, uniform look. That's why I also appreciate the small, pictureless signatures we're allowed here.

Impact and Comic Sands are two overused fonts that are just not comfortable to read in my opinion.

13. MatthewLTL thread starter macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

What about the American Typewriter font?

----------

not sure, never seen it, my mother told me about it. I cannot recall if she ever saw it though

----------

I can read Comic Sans MS just fine. Impact, on the other hand, IS hard to read expecially on a CRT display. I do like American Typewriter font though. Seems cleaner and easier to read from a distance, AND on a CRT. Since my eyesight is not great, and that I am making my personal website with my eMac, American Typewriter seems to be a serious, readable font.

14. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Courier New for the win!

Wait, what were we talking about here again?

Wow, an eMac? That takes me back...

15. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Typewriter front aka Courier New is excellent for one specific reason- each character is the same size. Therefore, you can make things line up nicely if you need that to happen, like making an equation look nice.

It's not that Comic Sans is hard to read, it's just not comfortable to read. Impact, even on my Retina display is hard to read. In my opinion, when reading a lot, a cleaner, finer, well defined font is easier to get through than fancy, swirly, chunky, blobby, thick lettering.

----------

Minnesota Obviously.

Though we could also discuss the necessity of quoting a 70 page website rather than just providing a hyperlink.

16. puma1552 macrumors 601

Please stop. Nobody in the Twin Cities pronounces "batteries" "BA-TREES" like you do down in little ol' Rochester.:(

17. TSE macrumors 68030

Ummm... as a Minnesotan I say a lot of stuff like that, and have heard almost all of those. :p

18. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

There's a dev editor** that has a 30 day trial, and if it's not licensed within that time frame it continues to work - but uses Comic Sans as the font :D

I can't image the horror of _coding_ using Comis Sans :eek:

(**I think it might be Chocolat)

19. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

LOL. They have a sense of humor!

20. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg