The missing features from the iPhone and the SDK

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by waywardsage, Jan 19, 2009.

1. waywardsage macrumors 6502

waywardsage

I was just curious where in the SDK language does it prevent App developers from creating Apps for the following features:

video recording/sending
    MMS
    landscape texting, (I supposed this would have to be intergrated into the iPhone OS for REAL landscape texting)

I don't want this thread to turn into a complaining session of what the iPhone doesnt have. I just got mine and I love it! The other features that the iPhone has far outweigh the small drawbacks.

Just curious why developeres can't just create Apps to do MMS and video recording and offer them in the App store. How EXACTLY do these kind of apps violate the terms of the SDK?

The last part of my question is: With the softening of Apples hardline stance on the terms of the SDK recently with the allowing of browser apps, and "adult style" apps. Does anyone think that the apps i was talking about earlier will eventually happen?

2. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Apple doesn't really spell out what they won't allow (beyond things that "duplicate" Apple app functionality... or income). They just leave some submitted apps in limbo. Others (like Opera or Java or Flash) never get officially started since Apple refuses to cooperate with those companies.

Hopefully when Jobs finally steps down as CEO forever, some of this can change... just like the way that Castro's brother is slowly loosening some control.

3. The Phazer macrumors 68030

The SDK terms state that you cannot make API calls that aren't documented in the SDK (though Google do in their app... no one said this process was fair or accurate).

There are no documented API calls for the things you've described, hence they are not allowed under the terms. Full MMS functionality would also require baseband access, which is completely blocked (for very good reason, a badly coded hack could play havok with the phone network with that level of access and no network operator would allow it).

Phazer

4. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    WinMo, Blackberry and Java Mobile programmers all have access to APIs for things like MMS clients.