The missing iPhone model

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by echo44, Sep 21, 2014.

1. echo44, Sep 21, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2014

echo44 macrumors 6502

So I have had my 6 now for two days.

I am missing the smaller form factor of the 5s
    Steve once compared the design of the iPhone to a Leica
    camera and it was an incredibly accurate observation. If the 5s was a leica camera the 6feels like a Canon or Nikon DSLR. Similarly to the camera analogy the 6 and 6 plus have more features, yet IMO the phone feels "cheap". I realize this is subjective.

I would love to go back to the design of the 5s however, I really want the features of the 6 such as 128gb, Apple pay, better camera, better contrast screen.

It would be awesome if Apple released a 3rd model in the form factor of the 5s
    with updated internal features. Add a sapphire screen and I would be willing to pay a premium for this device. It would have been interesting if this hypothetical iPhone was released simultaneously last Friday. My guess is it would have outsold the 6 and the 6 plus.

2. ionjohn macrumors 65816

ionjohn

Not gonna happen, just grow larger hands like the rest of us

3. LostMyiPhone macrumors 6502

After a couple days with the 6, I love the screen size -- coming from a 5. But I think I have pretty large hands. My wife has smaller hands and I wonder how she would fare

4. ninethirty macrumors 6502a

I've got normal sized hands, and my wife's are a little smaller. Neither of us can comfortably use the 6, but like the OP has said, I wanted the better camera, Apple pay, etc.

5. echo44, Sep 21, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2014

echo44 thread starter macrumors 6502

I totally respect those who want or need a larger phone

I am just saying there is probably a huge market for those of us who want a smaller phone decked out with high end features!

How many here would have choose a 5s form factor with the following added features:
    Saphire screen (as a high end feature)
    Improved resolution and color contrast
    upgraded cameras
    Apple pay

As for myself I would have paid more for this hypothetical iPhone than the 6 or 6 plus.

I have talked to several friends who are not upgrading because they do not want a larger phone. Now lets say this consortium of users only represents 20% of iPhone fans. That still is a huge amount of phone and would represent a large amount of additional sales at relative small investment in R&D as the form factor is already there, it would just be about upgrading the internals.

PS
    I have large appendages and feel comfortable holding the larger phone I just want my phone to be a smaller device.

Here is where you can give Apple feedback requesting for a 3rd model smaller in size with upgraded features

http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

6. ionjohn macrumors 65816

ionjohn

I'm loving it too! The added space in optimized apps is awesome!

7. malevolant macrumors 6502

No offense, but those feedback emails you send asking for a 3rd model are just going to get marked for deletion.

8. Lava Lamp Freak macrumors 65816

I don't think any of us can say with certainty what Apple will or won't do. History has shown that Apple does listen to customer feedback, and there is still a market for a smaller iPhone. Most of Apple's competitors offer "mini" phones, so it isn't out of the question for Apple to do the same. It'll be interesting to see how Apple addresses that market next year. For now, we still have the 5s, and it is a great phone.

9. echo44 thread starter macrumors 6502

I think one of the major differences is how people use their phones

I don't spend any significant time watching movies or playing games on my phone.

its major use in order of frequency

phone calls and communication
    scheduling appointments and calendar functions
    todo list
    texting
    checking email and sending emails
    listening to music
    using internet to find information
    taking pictures and movies
    guitar tuner and metronone
    calculator
    other apps

for all of these functions the smaller screen is more than adequate!! Would a bigger screen have its advantages? Yes. Would those advantages outweigh the advantages of a smaller form factor such as keeping the phone in my front pocket or keeping it on my body when I exercise etc absolutely not.

If i played a lot of games and watched a lot of video maybe I would want th bigger form factor.

----------

No offense taken, yet I find that highly unlikely as Apple has responded directly to me in the past when I have made previous suggestions, including from the highest level! They real do listen and care!!

10. mantan macrumors 68000

I would add 'about making money' to your last line. If there is truly a market that would be lucrative to fill, Apple will fill it. If there aren't enough customers to make it worth their while - they won't.