Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CE3

macrumors 68000
Nov 26, 2014
Wow, I'm speechless. I've seen so many shows and limited series that seem to be building up to something but in the end the payoff just isn't there. This is not one of those shows.

An overall fantastic first season and one of the strongest finales I've ever seen. Season two has some big shoes to fill.
[automerge]1576896602[/automerge]
But I do hate cliffhangers.

Is it really a cliffhanger, though? I mean, I'm looking forward to season two and as far as the story is concerned I definitely think there's a lot of meat left on the bone, but if this were a limited series I would be fine with this as the ending.

Last edited:

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
I thought Alex’s about face was too sudden. Like she was fine upholding the status quo one moment for her paycheck and the next, she’s all for upending the current world order in the name of a justice she has never exhibited through the entire season.
SPOILER CONTENT BELOW

I think the overdose made something click with her. Like it was a sudden dose of reality and a reminder that actions and inaction leads to consequences. She didn’t get serious about it until she found out about Hannah’s death.

countryside

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2016
I really enjoyed the finale. I think this was overall a great show that will likely be the sole reason I subscribe to Apple TV+.

I was disappointed that they added that "trigger warning" about the overdose/suicide... I understand the intent (huge backlash for 13 Reason's Why not having one) but it was not graphic at all and it spoiled the entire episode as I was expecting it to happen at any given moment.

I wouldn't mind a "skip warning" feature (similar to "skip intro") or a toggle in settings to simply turn trigger warnings off.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hawaiian Starman

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
Seriously, WHAT A BLOODY ENDING to the season.
Anyone know how long before the next season (it is like typical TV series, i.e. next summer, etcetera)?

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
What a finale! Unbelievable!!

First attempt at making show and this is already better than anything Drama on Netflix. This episode is so intense.

Good job Apple and everyone involved. $5 for that? Charge me please..

The.316

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2010
25100 GR
Hannah is the kind of person who'll backstab anyone in order to achieve her goals. I don't like her to be honest, the way she withheld info from her superior so she could outshine him, but in the end I kind of felt sorry for her. Good episode, the last 15 minutes or so were quite unsettling. Great performance by Carell, going from "Mr. Nice Guy" to a total creep.

I don’t see how Hannah gave you that impression at all. Because she kept info from her supervisor, who was a total prick?

I think Cory is good. He comes across smarmy, but yet he follows through on everything he says. And he has talked about his crap upbringing so much that I think he tries to live his life the opposite way.

I LOVE Cory, especially with that little f**k you wave to Fred towards the end. Crudup does an amazing job with that character.

rmoliv

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2017
I don’t see how Hannah gave you that impression at all. Because she kept info from her supervisor, who was a total prick?

What gave you the impression her supervisor was a total prick? Not sure if he was but either way keeping info from your boss doesn't seem the most honest thing to do (she did it because she coveted his place). Moreover she totally forgot about her friends and family but then called a friend she hadn't spoke to in a long time out of the blue when she needed a favor to get a senator on the the show. Hannah is/was not a "saint" - of course that does not excuse the way she was used/abused nor does it mean I should feel less sorry for what happened to her. But in real life she'd be someone I would rather stay away from.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I think Cory is good. He comes across smarmy, but yet he follows through on everything he says. And he has talked about his crap upbringing so much that I think he tries to live his life the opposite way.
True. Cory is far nicer than Chip. Chip was fully aware of Mitch, he just didn't "act" on the knowledge like Fred did. Alex's surprise suggests she knew Mitch was flirty and slept around with coworkers, but didn't know any specifics -- at least not enough to raise a flag.

I don't think Chip will be invited back to The Morning Show, at least not right away. I think he will move to a competitor, possibly bringing Daniel Henderson (black co-host) with him.

countryside

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2016
True. Cory is far nicer than Chip. Chip was fully aware of Mitch, he just didn't "act" on the knowledge like Fred did. Alex's surprise suggests she knew Mitch was flirty and slept around with coworkers, but didn't know any specifics -- at least not enough to raise a flag.

I don't think Chip will be invited back to The Morning Show, at least not right away. I think he will move to a competitor, possibly bringing Daniel Henderson (black co-host) with him.
But I thought Chip did the act? He said he was the one who leaked the #MeToo info about Mitch to the Times?

I hope Chip stays with show.

Reactions: mollyc

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
But I thought Chip did the act? He said he was the one who leaked the #MeToo info about Mitch to the Times?

It all started with Chip trying to protect Alex (UOB wanted to fire Alex and hired new co-host to Mitch). If not for Chip, Mitch would still have his job.
[automerge]1576988543[/automerge]
I think chip will be back.

There is no way Alex would work with that new guy she just thrown water to his face.

Reactions: Buz Burton

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
The end of the final episode didn’t fly with me. Not the least bit realistic. Especially Alex.

Do we know if Hannah really OD’d or if someone else had something to do with her death?

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
I think Hannah actually ODed. I think she broke. ?

Alex has never been a particularly realistic character.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
The end of the final episode didn’t fly with me. Not the least bit realistic. Especially Alex.

Do we know if Hannah really OD’d or if someone else had something to do with her death?

She’s ODed. Hannah wasn’t as tough as she’d like to think she was.

Everything can be realistic. A serial killer can have a kind heart in some circumstance for example. The question should be can we suspend our disbelief on Alex? I believe so.
Alex lives in confusion period. She wasn’t wanted by UBA so she fighted every which way she knew to survive it, including betrayed Chip which broke her heart. In a way, what Alex exploded in the finale is simply she’s getting angry at herself. If we think of Alex as a cold hearted bitch then the finale doesn‘t make sense. If we see her as simply an ordinary woman who trying to survive in an extremely hostile environment the it makes sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: jonblatho

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
She’s ODed. Hannah wasn’t as tough as she’d like to think she was.

Everything can be realistic. A serial killer can have a kind heart in some circumstance for example. The question should be can we suspend our disbelief on Alex? I believe so.
Alex lives in confusion period. She wasn’t wanted by UBA so she fighted every which way she knew to survive it, including betrayed Chip which broke her heart. In a way, what Alex exploded in the finale is simply she’s getting angry at herself. If we think of Alex as a cold hearted bitch then the finale doesn‘t make sense. If we see her as simply an ordinary woman who trying to survive in an extremely hostile environment the it makes sense.
But what happened on air isn’t realistic. It would never happen that way on any network.

FightTheFuture

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2003
that town east of ann arbor
I’m just realizing, this show is probably best when binged watched. I might let all 10 episodes of season 2 come out, then watch them all on a free day.
I binged this the past two weekends after the Golden Globes nom. It does work as a binge show, because IMO the cliffhangers don't hook you as a traditional serial drama. Not sure how to explain it, the stakes are somewhere between a network series and a cable series.

I agree with the consensus here: the finale was fantastic and overall the show is quite good. It definitely has it's flaws. I think the script is pretty weak yet somehow Witherspoon and Crudup make it work. The production quality, cast and "streaming" quality makeup for some other flaws the bug me. And you can't beat the price.

triangletechie

macrumors 65816
Apr 21, 2017
NC
After 45 minutes of the first episode I turned it off. What I saw was some truly awful overacting and poor acting and dialogue in general. With spare time limited, there's no way I'm going to invest anymore of mine in this show. There's just too many more great shows out there to watch.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
But what happened on air isn’t realistic. It would never happen that way on any network.

Exactly. I enjoyed the finale, but it was improbable wish fulfilment, facilitated by a network exec in the vicinity who let it happen. Completely implausible.

rmoliv

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2017
After 45 minutes of the first episode I turned it off. What I saw was some truly awful overacting and poor acting and dialogue in general. With spare time limited, there's no way I'm going to invest anymore of mine in this show. There's just too many more great shows out there to watch.

Agreed but it changes from episode 3 onwards. If you’re willing to give it a chance... I don’t regret it.

panag

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2015
She does NOT ODed, minute before her "suicide" called the network and accept the promotion ..it doesn't make sense.
[automerge]1577982241[/automerge]

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Original poster
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
She does NOT ODed, minute before her "suicide" called the network and accept the promotion ..it doesn't make sense.
[automerge]1577982241[/automerge]
Not to make this a dark conversation, but that's pretty much how suicide is. It doesn't make sense a lot of the times.

Reactions: matrix07
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.