The most awkward update to MBP...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RiCEADDiCTBOY, Jun 17, 2009.

1. RiCEADDiCTBOY macrumors 6502a

RiCEADDiCTBOY

yes we all know if you wait - something better will always be out later...however, in roughly 4-5 months the MBP could be seeing a nvdia 200+ placed inside and usb 3.0 and quite possibly expresscard 2...

the timetable on this update and the relatively close updates on three of the most anticipated (not including the new processors coming during the same timeframe) is enough to question a purchase so close to the refresh on hardware across all notebooks in general.

i know i am going to probably hold onto my 2 grand (although if i can find a previous gen 15" unibody macbook pro - i'll probably buy it and save the grand for the upcoming changes in the mbp that i will bet will occur december - january time frame). this upcoming refresh will be the influential change.

(this post isnt to change anyones mind about what they purchase but more for those questioning if to bite the bullet or not)

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I, for one, agree that we'll probably see the 230M with the Arrandale update. :cool:

3. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

Buy what you need when you need it. Otherwise, you will be waiting for the next update in perpetuity.

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

On USB
    http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/40865/135/

Readers who have been following the history of USB may remember that USB 2.0 was a rather underwhelming technology when it showed up in first products in late 2001. While it promised a data transfer rate of up to 480 Mb/s, the real life numbers were much closer to 250 Mb/s (). It took several years until the technology improved and finally came closer to its specification.

expresscard 2
    What device that you use exceeds the current express card speed? Almost none.

nvdia 200
    Yes people are always interested in having something "better" but if you are interested in paying for it you won't have the 13" MB. Probably will be for top end MBP only.

Also, anyone interested in better performance won't have 2gb of ram.

5. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Apple better shoot for Clarksfield IMO

The lower end Clarksfield is 35watts and delivers quad core 1.6Ghz performance.

Arrandale is just not exciting for a notebook that calls itself "Pro"

IMO of course :D

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

*looks at join date* *looks at words posted*

:eek::eek::eek:
    ;)

But Apple doesn't use 35w processors in their laptops. :(

7. iMacmatician macrumors 601

We may be waiting closer to 8 months for Arrandale.

I agree completely, but I have my doubts.

8. RKpro macrumors 6502

+1

All the people asking if they should buy now, or wait until the next update, probably don't need the computer.

9. RiCEADDiCTBOY thread starter macrumors 6502a

RiCEADDiCTBOY

hate to break your heart but the 200 lineup has the 9400 replacement.

10. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

;)

11. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Yes, they do

12. adamfishercox macrumors 6502

The worst "update" has been taking dedicated graphics OUT of the lower classes of 15" MBP.

13. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Sure they do though they constrain the 3.06 C2D proc to the 17 in MBP. It's a 35 watt TDP processor (T9900)

http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=39312

I think Apple would be smart to do some engineering to give them a buffer.

Initially I thought that the low clock speeds of Clarksfield would pose a marketing problem but Intel has neatly avoided that with Turbo Boost Mode. When on the road you can use one or two cores and stay easily within the power envelope or say "the hell with battery life i'm going 4 core strong...plug it into AC and you've got all 4 cores humming away.

14. iMacmatician macrumors 601

They didn't take it out, they added a cheaper model without the 9600M.

15. adamfishercox macrumors 6502

They carefully implied that they were just cutting prices, though. And so I would expect the bottom of the line to match the previous bottom of the line plus be upgraded. Had they simply said they were adding another, no big deal. But that haven't made it any cheaper to get a real pro notebook.

16. Bearxor macrumors 6502a

The 3.06 is an option in the 15" now.

17. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Oh, good; I was going to ask about the 3.06.

Well, that sucks. Now we don't know if the next update will be Clarksfield or Arrandale. :(

18. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

+1

Why do people always assume that companies will just update new technology w/o a premium. You'll be paying way more for that expresscard 2 and USB 3...they're not going to upgrade them as a standard feature. Look at SSD's. By the time they're mainstream, they would have been on the market for 3 years. The technologies you mentioned are all brand new and I guarantee will NOT be on the next MBP updates in early 2010.

19. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

I've got a hunch that we may see Apple split the Pro lineup.

MBP 17 - 1.73Ghz Clarkfield
    MBP 15- 1.66Ghz Clarkfield
    MBP 13- faster Core2 Duo

Then the next refresh will likely bring faster QC MBP and the 13" and perhaps lower end 15" will
    transition to Arrandale.

They only need to offer SSD as an option like they do now with the Air. I doubt USB 3.0 makes it but FW3200 has been ratified for a while and uses the same circuitry as FW800. We'll see if Apple takes it to the next level.

20. iMacmatician macrumors 601

That is a good thought and I have thrown this around in my head. I'm thinking something like the 4/8 core "split" in the Mac Pro (except with 2/4 cores). Apple did put in a low clocked 8 core model with higher clocked 4 core models, but I'm not sure if this will extend to other lines (iMac, MacBook Pro). They didn't put quad-core in the iMac.

A while ago I was also thinking that the MacBook and Air (and 20" iMac) might get an update with Core 2 Duo while the MacBook Pro (and 24" iMac) goes Clarksfield shortly after, then the lower-end Macs get updated to Arrandale.

21. aleksandra. macrumors 6502a

They have been doing just the opposite recently, actually merging 13" with 15" and 17" into one line, making 13" and 15" more similar to each other and different from 17" (matte option, ExpressCard). I would say if they're going to split this line it would be between 17" and the rest. If they even keep 17" as a "pro" model.

22. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

The more difficult task for Apple is explaining to people in a clear cut manner that the Quad Core 1.66Ghz computer is smart enough to shut down inactive cores and thus boost the remaining cores to a higher megahertz.

How do you effectively advertise a processor that can scale from 1.66Ghz to 2.8Ghz?

I think Arrandale is going to have Turbo Boost as well but no one knows for sure but Intel.

23. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

That would be a little confusing.

I guess a more clear way to put it.

All Macbook Pro that offer integrated GPU only will move to Arrandale.

All Macbook Pro that offer discrete GPU will move to Clarkfield.

24. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

Its only one, but that is true..

25. aleksandra. macrumors 6502a

Makes sense as they offer both 25 W and 35 W in 15" MBP.