The most complicated iPhone question EVER.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AREM, Feb 14, 2008.

1. AREM macrumors newbie

This is not for the faint of heart, I must warn you.

Ok, here is the deal.

I just sold my old 8GB iPhone to a friend who does not have internet. So, I activated the phone on her account on my computer, the one that the iPhone has been synced to all along.

Well, my 16GB iPhone comes in today, and I am worried that when I activate my new iPhone, it won't let me restore my backup of my old iPhone, the one that I sold. Does that make sense?

I mean all my contacts, emails, settings, text messages, etc. I know that whenever Apple sent me a new iPhone after mine went out, all I did was hook up the replacement up, and it synced back all my info and crap that was backed up. And since I activated my old iPhone on my friends account on the same computer, I'm worried that it won't let me sync back all that stuff.

What do you guys think?

2. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

Did you give them your old SIM card with your 8GB phone?
    If so... you aren't getting anything back.
    The iPhone backup is tied to the SIM card (IMEA #), not the phone.

3. bosxe macrumors member

bosxe

BINGO

And for the record, that question wasn't THAT complicated.

4. AREM thread starter macrumors newbie

No, I still have my old SIM card that I will put back into the new phone. Does that mean I can get everything back?

5. chr1s60 macrumors 68000

chr1s60

If you are on a Mac I don't think it should be an issue for the most part. The contacts and iCal should sync for sure. If you have your SIM you should also get back your settings and text messages.