the most practial way to do offsite backups?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by steve knight, Jul 10, 2014.

1. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

I am looking for something instead of paying 13.00 a month for crashplan. something like wd's my cloud? but I don't know what it uses to back up to offsite? whats the cost effective way to go about this?

2. m4v3r1ck macrumors 68020

m4v3r1ck

You could place a small (Synology) NAS in a friends / family members home to do your offsite backups.

3. steve knight thread starter macrumors 68020

steve knight

might be a bit more then I want to spend. I mean have a windows computer at work and the critical files are backed with dropbox and local backup for basics dropbox is on my mac at home and that's backed up with time machine and both are backed with crashplan. plus my wife's music is backed up with icloud and mirrored on my work computer.
    so replacing crashplan is all I want 2tb would be plenty. the western digital mycloud is only 150 or so. but not sure what software or how it accesses the remote drive?

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Do you maybe have a friend looking for the same thing? You can use the Crashplan app free without a Crashplan account to backup to another computer remotely. So if you have a friend, you could both setup the Crashplan app to backup to one another's computers online.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

By a portable hard drive, and take that into your office. That's what I do.
    Every week (or there abouts) I bring it back, run Carbon Copy Cloner, and then bring it to the office the following day.

6. madsci954 macrumors 68030

7. steve knight thread starter macrumors 68020

steve knight

I am the friend with crash plan. I don't want to drag a drive around I tend to forget it I want it simple and automatic. Crash plan does not rub right on my wife's Mac mini even when I did a fresh os install. So what is a cost effective 150 or less off site backup and how do the macs access it?

8. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Mozy and Carbonite support Mac and are less than $13/mo. I think more like 60/yr or 5/mo.

DropBox/iCloud is not backup, it's live sync. Huge difference. Virus or accidental deletion could take data out.

WD MyCloud, I have one sitting up on my father's network. Don't do it. It's poorly supported, it's usefulness is frustrating and limited.

My old school projects and documents, and financial records are backed up to the free Mozy personal account. It's more than enough space, and I'm very pleased.

9. steve knight thread starter macrumors 68020

steve knight

I have 20 gigs free on Dropbox with the lifetime versions so nothing gets deleted permanently. That's been the most important thing. It has saved my butt many times. I think crash plan costs less since you can use it on several computers and it seemed faster. I know I tried corbonite and mozy. I know one would not work at all and the other had issues. So a personal backup will let me go back as far as I need. That seems to be what I use backup for most. So is there a practical way to do it for around 150? What about a drive hooked to my AirPort Extreme ? Can it be practically accessed remotely ?

10. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

Check this Link, they claim yo be Mac compatible with free apps for computer and mobile devices.