The most RANDOM MBP question ever!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by flynnst0ne, Apr 21, 2012.

1. flynnst0ne macrumors regular

So... you know how the Macbook's all have the LED lighting which shines through the metal casing when the Macbook is sleeping? Does anyone know what the size of the holes are, within the metal case which allow the LED to shine through??:confused::apple:

2. JD92 macrumors 6502a

JD92

No... and the people who do know probably won't look read your post thanks to the title.

3. simsaladimbamba

Can this help? The second post has a vague answer. I used "unibody macbook pro sleep light holes size" and a www search engine of someone's choice.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You want to know the size of the glowing Apple logo in the back?

5. flynnst0ne thread starter macrumors regular

Not the size of the Apple on the cover, but the size of the tiny holes drilled into the frame on the front of the laptop. The little slit that glows when the Macbook is asleep.

6. simsaladimbamba

The OP wants to know, how big the holes are here:
    [​IMG]

7. flynnst0ne thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you! That is exactly what i'm talking about.

8. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

9. antster94 macrumors 6502a

antster94

Almost nothing, you can't even see the holes.

10. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

It's not a hole by the way, it's completely flush with the unibody.

Anyway, from my measurements I make the LED 7.5mm by around 0.5 mm using a standard 30cm ruler (so there's an error margin of +/-0.5mm). How important are these measurements?

11. JasonR macrumors 6502a

JasonR

I read that Johnny Ive insisted on those holes being so small you can't see them the human eye. Apple had to buy special equipment to create holes that small.

12. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

They are holes. But being so small, they have the appearance of not being holes. They are drilled with lasers, much like the microphone holes on the top of some aluminum iMacs.

13. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Have you got proof of this? I'm pretty sure there is just very thin material there.

14. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Here's a source on the iMac's microphone port: https://www.macworld.com/article/1059454/aluminumimac.html Look under the iSight paragraph. The holes for the sleep LED and the microphone look the same, except the sleep LED's are more dense.

What very thin material would Apple be putting into the tiny almost microscopic holes? Transparent aluminum? Just because the human finger cannot perceive any hole, doesn't mean there isn't one there. For example a pore in human sink. They cannot be felt, but they exist.

15. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

This video talks about the holes, I believe. They are laser-drilled as Intell stated, so small that you cannot feel them but just enough to let the light through. I'd guess there's at least 100 holes that make up just that one spot, perhaps more.

jW

16. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

17. flynnst0ne thread starter macrumors regular

The detail and thought that Apple put into such a small feature is amazing. I'm working on a project, where similar sized holes will be needed. If anyone comes across the size please let me know!

18. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

Tell me more about the project. I'm curious.
    The holes could be punched rather than lasered (as I'm guessing you don't have a laser) or drilled.

19. PAPO macrumors 6502

it's similar (if not the same) to the technology Koenigsegg developed for their "Ghost Lighting" on the dashboard, tiny holes too small to see but enough to let light shine through.

20. MR.BUTTON macrumors member

the sleeping indicator

the macbook pro's sleeping indicator are not one hole, they are like microphones, which has many tiny holes, you can't even see it. btw, what the thing near the sleeping light? i have a macbook, its sleeping light is big, just like the one near the sleeping light in MBPs

21. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

I believe what your referring to is the infrared sensor.

22. MIDI_EVIL macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

They're so small that they appear as one longer strip. Each hole is almost impossible to see with a human eye. In fact, they could be considered 'Retina Holes'...

;)

23. Puevlo macrumors 6502a

It's not actually a hole, but they use light that is the same frequency as the metal casing so it shines through it.

24. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Lmao they really don't!

25. saberahul macrumors 68040

Why not use a caliper, a magnifying glass, a stand to prevent your hand from shaking, and measure in mm or maybe µm (if you can find a caliper supporting that)?