the mouse i got for my mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kannesss, Aug 24, 2008.

1. kannesss macrumors 6502a

has been great, until now.

i was scrolling through my iTunes like usual, and i tried to scroll down with the little gray ball on it and it didnt move at all. so i scrolled up and it works. so basically it wont scroll down, but will go in other directions.

any helpful tips on something i can do?

i really need it for editing with final cut so i need answers asap.

2. bartelby macrumors Core

Useful tip 1) try searching the forum. This has been asked countless times before.

Useful tip 2) turn the mouse upside down, roll it around on the scroll ball on a clean sheet of paper. Use a fair amount of force, this should clean the ball.

3. passingXstorm macrumors regular

i had the same problem 3 days ago, and my mouse is 2 1/2 weeks old. Anyway, just put a little more pressure on the ball when scrolling down, then after a while it should work like normal again. (this was the case with mine, anyway)

4. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

dirt gets in, and screws it up. I had to throw mine out -- now I use a regular mouse made for PC. One day i'll get the mighty mouse back.

5. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

You threw it away? That wasn't the most intelligent thing I read this morning.

Useful tip #3) Wash your hands people.

I've had 2 mighty mouses for 2+ years and have cleaned them maybe 3-4 times as described above. They work fine.

6. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Here is a question for all: I am not trying to start up a war between sides or anything BTW, I just am truly curious about this-

With laser/optical mice available so reasonably now (both cordless and corded) that don't suffer from the problems associated with the "crudding up" of older technology ball-based mice, what is the draw of sticking with ball based mice?

I really don't see it and just wondered if someone could fill me in on what I am obviously overlooking Thanks! :confused:

7. logana macrumors 65816

logana

It is the scrolling ball on the top that gets covered in dirt - the mighty mouse is optical.

The ball on the bottom of pre-optical mice used to get covered in dirt and needed to be cleaned - the rollers did too. The problem with the small scroll ball on the top of the mouse is that it has the same problem just the components are so much smaller !!!

8. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

DOH! :eek: Thanks for clearing that up- since I fell in love with my MX Revolution mouse with the hyper scrolling wheel I never even considered a ball ON TOP. Guess that would be a problem then!

Thanks again- another reason to stay with mine then! :D

9. MynameisMud macrumors newbie

my scroll ball hadn't worked at all in weeks. but i just followed the advice of turning it upside down and rubbing it on clean paper. it really does work you just have to push really hard.

yay my mouse is fixed!:D