The Mouse we've been waiting for? Could it be?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by scottrods, May 31, 2018.

1. scottrods macrumors member

scottrods

I was tech browsing around this morning and found this little gem. It says it can be used with the iPad as well as about anything else out there... not a standard mouse, but a lot of useful in this little package - Kind of pricey for now, but this could be the one that makes the iPad into a Laptop for a lot of folks. (I know... not the power users and special situations, but for the consumers and basic users)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/granto/propoint

2. sparksd macrumors 68000

No, it's just another mouse for remote desktop work, e.g. Citrix mouse.

3. scottrods thread starter macrumors member

scottrods

Well Shoot... I went and looked at the Cyrix and see what you mean. They didn't cover much about the use of the Pro Point on their "teaser" but showed a couple of windows type app being used... makes much sense that it would work similarly to the Cyrix mouse. There I was all Giddy again... Would love it to be normal support for bluetooth mouse connection on the iPads... the weakest link for me.

4. chabig macrumors 603

iPads don't have a mouse based user interface, so you'll never see "normal support" for bluetooth mice.

5. sparksd macrumors 68000

Yeah, I have Essential Tremors (like 7 million other Americans) which makes a lot of activities difficult if not impossible on an iPad. With a mouse, I can operate fairly well (and a pencil, which I have, is not a substitute).

6. scottrods thread starter macrumors member

scottrods

I was just hopeful that someone had come up with an app with a mouse type item that would allow it to work ... as a mouse. wishful thinking on my part.

I'm getting the basic shaky hands as I grow older as well, and a mouse, since there's plenty of contact with little pressure makes computing much easier. I like being able to use the pencil for Gross Movement things, but details I am very troubled by. The Art work side of things has to be blown up huge for me to keep things from looking too rough in my artwork... I enjoy it, but it's certainly nothing worth showing at all. I use it as a therapy of sorts. I stay so tired due to poor resting from Sleep apnea, that I don't have the energy to get very detailed and all the expanding and contracting to check my work would be easier to do with mouse controlled apps, like on my MBP... I use both for the art work and photo mods... but most of the art is MBP based for ease of control for now... Still hopeful Apple comes around on the mouse support thing eventually. These tablets are so unbelievably powerful and offer so much.

7. sparksd macrumors 68000

Much as people like you or me need a mouse for a lot of interaction, I don't see it ever happening with iOS. And it's why my laptop will continue to see significantly more use and for me the iPad is simply a convenient consumption device.

8. sracer macrumors 604

sracer

That is true. In order for system-wide support for mice (bluetooth or otherwise), Apple would need to include that into the base of iOS.

iOS has had unofficial mouse support since the iPad 1 days. It required jailbreaking and it worked just like mouse support works under Android. When no mouse/trackpad is in motion, the pointer is invisible, but as soon as the mouse moves, it appears. It worked surprisingly well for being unofficial. So all that to say, it isn't a technical limitation, but a deliberate decision by Apple to withhold that support.

This causes me to wonder why Apple continues to refuse to offer mouse support for iOS. This is especially puzzling since the accessibility benefits are obvious and they've already gone to great lengths to add accessibility aid options to iOS. o_O

9. sparksd macrumors 68000

Maybe they think we should use the pencil in our mouths.