the move to 128 bit rate?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by FortWorthMac, Sep 7, 2010.

1. FortWorthMac macrumors 6502a

Hello all,

Just simply wondering if the move to 128bit rate songs is reversible. In other words, can I uncheck the option and revert back?

My 32MB phone is getting low in space and I need to try and free some up.

Thanks

2. tak437 macrumors newbie

Unfortunately not. You can do it, but the quality lost when converting down to 128 can never be reacquired.

If you keep the original source mp3's on your computer (outside of itunes, to play it safe), then you can just add those back at a later time. Hope that makes sense.

3. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

When you use this option, it creates a copy of each of your music files at 128kbps. That copy is then stored on your phone and nowhere else (so the original music files remain in iTunes at whatever bitrate they are now).

If you later decide to stop using the feature, iTunes would copy the original files back to your phone.

4. FortWorthMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the reply. So based on your reply, I can simply check it now and uncheck it at a later day to revert back to the higher quality. Is that what you are saying?

David

5. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Yep.

It'll only apply to your phone as well, so if you want to listen to the higher quality songs on your computer, you can do that.

6. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Yes

7. FortWorthMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks all.

About to do it, and hoping to free up ALOT of space...

David

8. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

The others are correct. The only thing to consider is that it will do that conversion on the fly as it syncs to your phone. This means that depending on the speed of your computer, it will take anywhere from a long time to a very long time to sync that first time (ie. maybe 12-36 hours for ~40 gigs of music). After that first time though, it won't be a big deal, unless you do a complete restore or change a large amount of music.

9. FortWorthMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah I get a decent speed iMac and it's converting 3171 songs and is 600 songs into it.

I have to leave for work in about 3 hours. What'll happen if I need to disconnect the sync before I'm done?

10. specops macrumors regular

My guess is it will cancel, and stop converting at the point you are at. I would let it finish before stopping it.

11. FortWorthMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

K, thanks.

I'm hoping it'll be done but if not I will have to cancel it to take with me to work.

Regards all

David

12. gage006 macrumors regular

gage006

I've never noticed this option. Where is it? Wonder how much of a space savings it ends up netting. I've got about 17gb of music, mostly in 320. I wouldn't mind losing some quality if I could actually fit all my music on my 16gb iPhone with my apps and photos.

13. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

Really? A bit of an exageration don't you think? On a 5,1 MBP running Dual core at 2.4GHz it took just under an hour to convert 2,672 songs to 128AAC.

You find it under the main "menu" or info tab of your device in iTunes. The same place where you see the image of your iPhone and the serial number, etc...

Just scroll down and you'll see the option to enable 128AAC format.

14. FortWorthMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well as soon as I clicked the 128 option I went from .1gb free to about 9gb free. So for me that's a noticeable increase.

I so want a 64gb option for an iPhone........

15. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

No, I don't think. I've been using this option since day 1. Core2 iMac @ 2.8Ghz. Perhaps it's because the majority of my music is stored on the iMac in lossless. If most of your library is already 128k or less, then it will take considerably less time.

16. southerndoc macrumors 65816

southerndoc

I did this for my iPod Nano (older generation) last night after seeing the option in the iPod summary of iTunes after I hooked up the iPod. Finally was able to fit everything on my iPod that stays in my car.

My iMac 2.8 GHz C2D (late '08 model) took 3 hours to convert 1700 of 2700 songs. I had to leave for the night to travel, so I just left the iPod plugged up.

So yes, it can take a while if you have a lot of lossless music stored. The more 192 bit music you have instead of lossless, probably the less time required to convert it.

17. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

If "one's" music was already in 128k or less, why would there be a need to convert to 128AAC, you would lose more than you would gain - think about it.

Lossless, I can understand to a degree, however 12-36 hours is still a bit of a stretch. For the record all of my music is stored in 320K.

18. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Obviously - if a decent portion of your collection is already 128 or less, there is no conversion performed at all. That could be a big reason some people convert faster than others - itunes merely looks at say, 1/3 of their collection, notes that no conversion is needed, and moves on. That'd be very fast.

Again, to convert ~45 gigs of lossless music into ~16 gigs of 128k, my iMac takes ~ 12 hours. If I start it in the evening after work, it will be done sometime in the morning. Maybe it takes 9 or 10 I don't know, I'm sleeping then. In any case, if it takes that long for a dual core 2.8 desktop, I can easily imagine it taking a day or more for someone still using a single core 2ghz or less laptop.

19. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

My mid 2009 MBP takes about 5-6 hours to convert 2800 songs to my iPhone 3GS. Not sure if my iPhone 4 would be faster, I haven't tried.

20. Fuzzy.Dunlop macrumors regular

Why not try this? http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=891852

I did and got my library down from 45gig to 12gig (still have 1000 songs to do) - I have 2 smart playlists in itunes one at +80kbps and one @80kbps much easier as it's a one time thing and you can't tell the difference whilst listening on the phone