The MR Jeremy Lin Thread

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by donga, Feb 10, 2012.

1. donga macrumors 6502a

donga

i can't believe this hasn't been up yet.

watching first quarter lakers v. knicks and jeremy's been great so far.

so #linsanity, your thoughts?

2. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

not even close to the talent of Kobe

3. cuestakid macrumors 68000

I dont even care about the NBA or basketball but i just want to brag that he went to my high school and I saw him play a couple times and he is for real.

4. Spencie macrumors regular

Spencie

His 20+ points are getting ordinary now. Oh and he visited my church =)

----------

Gunn high?

5. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Good game against the Lakers tonight: 38 points 7 assists 4 boards - in 38 minutes...Kobe came up short with 34 points 10 boards in 42 minutes.

Knicks 92 - Lakers 85 :D

6. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

^^^ eat me! :D

Lin certainly showed up Kobe tonight, that's for sure!

7. malman89 macrumors 68000

He's Asian. He went to Harvard. And he's in the NBA.

What's not to love about linsanity? First decent Asian player since Yao. Still turns the ball over way too often. Practically 1:1 assist:turn over ratio the last few games I caught his stat line.

8. cuestakid macrumors 68000

no he transfered in my (junior?) year to Palo Alto-but I think he did go to Gunn as well

9. Liquorpuki macrumors 68020

Liquorpuki

I heard about him in 08 and starting following his career after he upstaged Wall in summer league. I actually bought league pass last year and watched half the Warriors games hoping to see him break out, which never happened. And I've followed every Knick game this year since he got picked up off waivers.

He's legit and one of the best guards in the league at running the pick and roll. Needs to cut down on turnovers but his game is ridiculously cerebral.

And he dropped a bomb on Calderon earlier tonight

10. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

How did this kid fly under all pf these teams radars for so long. The Knicks finally caught a lucky break.

11. donga thread starter macrumors 6502a

donga

LINSANITY!!!!!1111!!!!1111

lin can't stop won't stop

12. chordate68 macrumors regular

chordate68

As a Laker fan, I'm pissed at Lin. These Steve Nash-like point guards always give the Lakers problems. On the other hand I'm glad the kid is doin' work and getting paid. With his talent I'm surprised he didn't start sooner. The real tests come against the Heat and Bulls.

13. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

-Floyd Mayweather

Unbelievable.

Perhaps because he's Asian and didn't fit the basketball stereotype he was previously at a disadvantage.

Playing in the shadow of Stanford and trying to got there to play, he got no athletic scholarship offers out of high school. He was undrafted out of college. Waived by the Warriors. He's been underestimated his whole life.

14. Liquorpuki macrumors 68020

Liquorpuki

Lin only excels at one type of offense, and that's pick and roll. To be effective, teammates have to trust him to run the floor. Last year, the Warriors never ran the pick and roll last year and Monte was always yelling for Lin to give the ball back. I remember a few times Lin would call for a pick and the rest of the team would ignore him.

I'm a Laker fan too and I think our biggest problem is offense. We look like how the Knicks looked earlier this year when Douglas/Bibby were running the floor - all isolation plays and forced shots because neither point guard can get in the paint. If video coordinator Mike Brown was smart, he'd bring back the triangle since his point guard wouldn't have to do anything other than pass to the high post and run to the corner. Instead, he's trying to make sure we never break 90 points a game.

15. ILikeTurtles macrumors 6502

I hate all sports in general, but he is a hottie!

16. chordate68 macrumors regular

chordate68

I totally agree with you. The starters played terrible last night. It wasn't until the second unit when in that the game started to pick up. If Brown doesn't want to go back to the triangle, then why not run a high/low post with Gasol/Bymun?

17. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Watching highlights of #JeremyLin on espn - USA can't get enough of this guy! As a lifelong Knicks fan I see highlights and an hour later hungry for more! - via @billmaher

:D

18. carbonmotion macrumors 6502a

carbonmotion

Will Jeremy Lin be a legendary basketball player like Wilt, Kobe, or Jordan? I don't know and no one does because its too early to tell. But, what does capture my imagination and the imagination of many of my friends (black, white, middle eastern or asian) is that he's really a lot like us. He's like every other guy we hung out w/ in high school and part of us lives vicariously though him. Many of us were all-american in swimming, basketball, or wrestling when we were in high school, but we had to shelve dreams of being a professional athlete for brainier pursuits. Now, we're engineers, doctors, and lawyers and we sometimes wonder what it would be like if we threw caution to the wind and went for it. With the NBA, you get so many players like Kobe and LeBron, talented basketball players who were selected at a very young age by talent scouts. Especially in the case of LeBron, I don't think there was any doubt since early high school that he was going to play for the NBA - he was chosen, if you will. Unlike King James, and in may ways like Jordan, Lin was passed up over and over again. He didn't really even play in a competitive college league and yet he went for it and the impossible happened, he became a professional basketball player. The way he talks and acts, it reminds of me of myself and my friends at that age. Many of my friends feel like we can live vicariously though this guy and that adds another layer of excitement to watching the game. On an unrelated note, I think its nice to have players like Landry and Jeremy on the NBA, they're relatively straight edged and very well educated. They set a good example for kids that even if you are athletically talented, you shouldn't eschew a good education. Statistically, 60% Of NBA Players are in dire financial straights only 5 years after retirement. Which is why having an education is so important because you can dove tail to another career should your basketball career end.

19. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

No one could hog the ball more than Kobe!

20. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Really? The guy has had a few good games. He's not even the best player on his own team yet.

Come back in 10 years and maybe you can start to possibly have this discussion.

21. carbonmotion, Feb 21, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2012

carbonmotion macrumors 6502a

carbonmotion

I believe the following was the exact quote, let's not take things out of context shall we?

It's perfectly justifiable to feel excite for the potential birth of another basketball star. I've been following this kid since his Paly days and can't help but feel excited. In any case, I feel like he (any many other athletes like him) set a good example for kids.

22. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Exactly. He's smart. He's "competed" at the top ranks of academics at Harvard. And now he is competing at the top ranks of athletics. I bet he already has a plan for himself after his NBA career. Jeremy is a true role model for many people today, young or old.

23. Liquorpuki macrumors 68020

Liquorpuki

Only time will tell but I'd put down money the guy will be an all star within a couple years tops. First guys were saying he can't shoot, then he starts punishing guys who go under the pick and dropping bombs like he did on Pau and Calderon. Then they say he can't go left, so he starts driving left and finishing with his left. Kobe pretends he doesn't know what's going on, then he eats crow. Jason Terry tells the media Lin is all hype and he eats crow too. Ultra-critical commentators like Steven A Smith thought he was trash 2 weeks ago are now supporting him and defending him. And a bad game for Lin still has him scoring 20 points and almost 10 assists and playing Iverson minutes.

Far as the Knicks, they have something like a 30% increase in efficiency rating when Lin is on the floor vs when he's off. They actually play team ball now instead of crappy ISO ball. He made Steve Novak look like Ray Allen out there. He helped Chandler get one of the best games of his career. He turned Jefferies into a decent looking rollman. Schumpert is now back to his natural position and exceling. D'Antoni has gone from being regarded as one of the worst coaches in the league to an offensive genius. I'd argue that even though Carmelo is the better player, Lin has a stronger effect on how well the team plays.

On top of that, Lin has made Knicks fans more excited about their team than anything else that's happened in the last decade. That by itself is legendary.