The mystery of the roving files: an alignment query

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Parpar1836, May 29, 2010.

1. Parpar1836 macrumors newbie

Parpar1836

I've been using Macs for ages, so I'm not a novice, although I may not be an expert. Lately I've been having some trouble with viewing file icons. I've checked the "Snap to Grid" viewing option so I can have all the folders neatly arranged in the file, viewable by icon. Then a couple of days later I find that the "grid" seems to have shifted, and that files being moved into that folder aren't aligned with the ones I've already moved there . . . I have to realign them if I want them to look orderly. What's causing this? I thought that once I checked "Snap to Grid" for all my files, they'd all get properly aligned.

My other problem involves moving new files into existing folders, using the "Save as" application with the rippling slidebar at the bottom. The newly-saved file ends up in the bottom of the folder. Even if I've carefully limited the viewable size of the folder, I'll find that when I retrieve the new file so I can snap it to the grid near the other files in that folder, that the folder is huge and the new file's at the bottom of this enormous void. I'm worried that I'll overlook files that end up in the bottom this way. Is there any way I can regulate the dimensions of folders? I guess it's not possible for me to snap newly-saved folders near the existing ones unless I do it manually.

So . . . I'm eager to "read" from the experts.

2. Parpar1836 thread starter macrumors newbie

Parpar1836

The mystery: still intact

Over one-and-a-half months later, 141 views . . . and no responses.