The name "iPhone "

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tigert07, Aug 2, 2011.

1. tigert07 macrumors regular

When will apple follow the names of their other products and name all future iPhones "iPhone". The iMac line is an example. You don't see iMac line with names such as, iMac S or iMac 2. I would love to see them go with the simple iPhone title for future iPhones. Plain and simple. What do you guys think?

2. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Phones are different from many products because models come out so often.

People therefore expect them to have alphanumeric designators so they know which one they're buying ... and so they know they're getting an updated device. :)

Also along those lines, Apple sells more than one model. The iPhone 4 and the iPhone 3GS cannot both be simply called "iPhone".

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The iMac has had model names in the past. There was the iMac G3, iMac G4, iMac G5, and Intell iMac. With the release of the aluminum iMac, Apple dropped the model name and simply called it iMac.

4. Dandrews524 macrumors 6502

well said!

5. Sixtafoua macrumors 6502

Sixtafoua

I agree, though i was happy enough with iPhone 4, rather than iPhone 3GS.
    I think these phones with crazy names with XYT1000029 at the end are ridiculous, and I expected apple to be different, and I was surprised when they came out with the iPhone 3GS because the name didn't sound like an apple product.

Also, i don't think people have trouble with knowing about upgraded products, the iPod line has never had anything attached to it, (except the U2 iPod) and consumers don't have difficulty differentiating iPod versions.

6. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

Another part of it is that Apple is still selling the 3GS for 50$ (or less) with contract in the US. It makes sense to have some way to differentiate between the two models that are being sold at the same time.

Plus, this way when the 5 comes out, Apple can push the 4 down into the cheap spot and it's crystal clear that it is the same thing as last year's expensive model.

7. Kraicat macrumors newbie

So, if they don't drop the iPhone suffix designator like the OP suggests, will they continue the number thing? iPhone 6, iPhone 7 ... iPhone 9, iPhone X

8. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

According to the buyers' guide, iMacs come out a lot faster than iPhones. So based on your argument they're the ones that should need the unique names.

I think your conclusions are right, but you seem to have started with facts that differ from reality.

9. srxtr macrumors 6502a

I guess it wouldn't be bad if they dropped the numbers and called it just "iPhone", but people will start adding years to it instead. e.g. iPhone 2012, iPhone 2013... iPhone early 2014?

I guess it wouldn't be a bad thing, but for now the numbers make sense.

10. tigert07 thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I agree that they must find a way to separate the new models from the old, but the numbers could get out of hand sooner or later. iPods are one of the best examples. I cant imagine an iPhone being called iPhone 7, or some other number. It almost makes it a little too unoriginal name-wise. Just an idea, makes me wonder if they've contemplated this issue.

11. Bloodraw850 macrumors 6502

Bloodraw850

but the Mac line updates every year just like the iPhone :confused:

12. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

They can't? There are five different MacBook Pro models, all of which are simply called... "MacBook Pro".

The 3rd-gen iPod touch was sold in essentially two models, with the 8GB model running old hardware, but both were simply branded "iPod touch".

That isn't to say I necessarily favour dropping the number suffix, but not because Apple has trouble selling two (or more) models of the same product with the same name. :)

13. MagicMouse macrumors regular

MagicMouse

I think they should have iPhone and iPhone Pro

That solves the 3GS low price and iPhone 4 high price situation.

14. tigert07 thread starter macrumors regular

Something like this maybe, who knows.

15. schaffinosx macrumors member

It wouldn't surprise me if the iPhone 5 was the last iPhone to carry a number. The name iPhone 5 resonates with me, as does the name iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS. Each of the names have a natural flow to them, and don't take any time to get used to. The iPhone 6? Yeah, not feeling it.

I can't say I've ever been displeased with Apple's product naming, so I'm confident that when the time comes, they'll change the course of the iPhone's naming and either a.) come up with a newer, better name, or b.) simply stop adding a number to the end of each new iPhone.

At the end of the day, though, the product itself is infinitely more important. I might not be jumping in joy when telling my friend I got the new iPhone 15, but hey, if it's a good phone, it's a good phone.

16. Savor Suspended

Savor

I kinda hope that happens.

When JJ Abrams rebooted Star Trek, they just called it Star Trek. When that new Sonic the Hedgehog came last year and Sega rebooted it back to 2D, they just called it Sonic the Hedgehog. The new Tomb Raider for next year with a revamped Lara Croft will simply be called Tomb Raider.

I like iPhone being called just an iPhone. I don't want to have a numeric number after it like if we were buying Air Jordans. The only prob is if Apple introduces other models, harder to differentiate unless they start attaching nano or mini next to it. iPhone is what works for me. It is the name that is stamped on the back of the phone. But who knows if iPhones will still be popular by its 11th version? Nothing stays on top forever. This happened to Final Fantasy. After FFX, it went downhill from there.

17. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Yes, but the tech-savvy differentiate between models by year. :D