The name you entered cannot be used

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dpk, Mar 17, 2008.

1. dpk macrumors newbie

This is my first time using a Mac since OS 6 days. So far, not so good.

I just received a MacBook Pro, straight from Shanghai. I'm at the "Create Your Account" screen and it had my name ("David Kirchner", without quotes) and a short name ("davidkirchner", which incidentally is only one character shorter) in the fields. I changed the short name to "dpk". I clicked "Continue" and I get a dialog box stating:

"The name you entered cannot be used.
    This name is not available. Please enter a different name."

Red arrows appear next to both the name and the short name, suggesting both are invalid. As far as I know, there's nothing invalid about my name. It's served me well for decades.

According to Google, I am the first person to ever see this error message. I'm both honored and humbled.

Any ideas?

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Interesting. I use TEG as my short name (in CAPS) and my First Name, Middle Initial, Last Name. I had a problem when I used Panther, but I restarted the comptuer and it worked.

TEG

3. Wiredrawn macrumors regular

Hmm, seems quite an odd one.

Since I don't really have much expertise in this area, I suggest ringing the friendly bunch at Apple.

Have you got a Careplan? If you have, even better, you get to ring the even friendlier bunch at the CarePlan call centre.

4. dpk thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm at work, and gave up on it for a while. I closed the screen. When I had time I re-opened it, and it was at the same screen (sans dialog box), with the same red arrows. I did not touch anything but the lid (not the keyboard or trackpad, that is).

But a few seconds later, it moved on to the "Complete Your Mac Experience" screen. So, I guess, success?

One thing I forgot to mention: It had "Setting your computer's clock" at the bottom of the screen. Maybe that was failing, so OS X saw a failure of some type, and then generated the wrong error message.

At "Complete Your Mac Experience", it wouldn't let me choose "continue" or "go back". I tried my famous "close and open the notebook, wait 3 seconds" fix, but no joy.

5. Wiredrawn macrumors regular

6. dpk thread starter macrumors newbie

Turning the notebook off and back on, while Apple was on the phone, fixed it. My Apple fix toolkit now consists of "jiggle the handle". Cool.