The Need For Desktop Systems - It's About Balance!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by saytheenay, Aug 3, 2012.

1. saytheenay, Aug 3, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2012

saytheenay macrumors member

I find it ironic that Apple seems to be neglecting their desktop systems. The i-devices are used primarily to consume content, right? And the primary way to provide that content is via iOS apps, which requires Xcode, which requires a Mac.

Its not a serving the pro/pro-sumer vs consumer issue--its a serving both content creators and content consumers issue. Graphics/video content creators (pro or not) typically work/edit on desktop systems, as do many developers--including Apple's developers.

While the demand for desktop systems is low, Apple is neglecting them, and content creators, at their own peril. Consumption devices are only as good at the content served on them and if Apple continues alienating the content creators, they may very well decide to neglect Apple.

Apple needs to provide for both the content creators and consumers--you can't sustain a successful ecosystem in one area without the other.

EDIT: I am a software engineer and moved to Mac primarily for Xcode and iOS development. If Apple would release a Windows/Linux version of Xcode, I have no problem switching back and saving cash on more modern hardware.

2. Scythe5 macrumors regular

Honestly, I'd rather program for Android than iOS.

3. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

Why does nobody remember that last year it was the iPhone that was very "late"?

Manufacturing issues aren't "neglect". Lack of needed components isn't "neglect".