the need to force quit apps to improve battery/performance?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TwoBytes, Aug 17, 2008.

1. TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

We don't have a task manager but do any of you force quit apps and notice a difference in battery, performance?

Also, has apple but in some sort of auto-quit feature which closes an app if it's not in use. I know Apple casually says just leave everything open but if it's all taking up memory, surely closing apps will improve the memory..

you thoughts.

2. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Force quit Apps?:confused: Why not just push the Home button?:D Apps don't run in the background.

3. stevin macrumors regular

Apple doesn't allow 3rd party apps to run in the background so yes I believe there is an auto-quit feature which closes an app one you press the home.

That being said, I do feel like sometimes my battery is draining way to quickly even when nothing is open and I usually restart my phone... but that could just be me being paranoid.

4. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

It will be interesting to see what happens when background services are implemented.

5. iblastoff macrumors 6502

background services are NOT being implemented. its just push services.

pressing home does NOT automatically fully close apps.

for example, both safari and mail apps remain active and eat up memory. you need to hold down the home button for 7 seconds to fully close them.

i have to do this ALL OF THE TIME while using teleport. teleport likes to repeatedly tell me that i am low on memory and just quits on me until i have to open up safari and mail, force quit them with the above method, and then go back to teleport. only then does it start working again.

pain in the ass.

6. TwoBytes thread starter macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

Apps, well the apple ones anyway, are open in RAM and are using memory.
    Silly how the iphone doesn't memory manage itself...i would of thought so :confused:

7. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

whenever I get SMS typing lag, i force quit safari and all is well. annoying but effective. viva la 2.1.

8. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

Force quit by holding down the home button until the app closes.
    I usually only do this when an app freezes.... (which isn't a rare occurrence haha)