The Never-ending iSight Problem

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dgrizzell, Dec 29, 2008.

1. dgrizzell macrumors member

dgrizzell

I have an early 2007 Macbook Pro 17". The iSight worked fine until maybe 5 or 6 months ago unexpectedly. No new software, hardware, or damage. I've done the PRAM reset, physically examined connection behind monitor, and various other online fixes. The iSight is not present on the system profiler at all (neither normally nor under vendor specific).

What do we know about this widespread issue? Has anyone gotten any real substance? I've hear of people getting it repaired at the Apple store but never heard what the real problem was? I'd prefer to fix this myself.

2. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

It could be a glitch in QuickTime. I had this problem with iMovie not recognizing the iSight as a camera.

3. dgrizzell thread starter macrumors member

dgrizzell

Are you aware of any fixes? It is shown as not connected in all software: Photo Booth, iMovie, iChat, etc. It's not in the system profiler whatsoever. All evidence points to a hardware issue but my gut tells me this is a software problem.

4. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I would try doing a fresh install of Leopard. And then, before doing updates, checked if it's working. Then apply each update one by one. Reboot each time and maybe test if it's working?

For my problem, here's what I did. Go to ftmp's post.

5. johto macrumors 6502

johto

I have found that the isight camera with programs that uses quicktime library(quicktime, imovie etc) has a lot slower framerate! It used to give fluid 30fps all the time. Now barely 15fps.

I believe the key issue is something to do with quicktime !

I found that quicktime 7.5.0 worked fine, but newer updates made the isight slower. Then again, recording with other software, skype, screenflow etc, gives fluid 30fps. Just wanted to tell you this so you dont pull your hairs out!

6. dgrizzell thread starter macrumors member

dgrizzell