The never-ending Time Machine backup

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ascender, Jan 25, 2009.

1. ascender macrumors 68000

I've got a Drobo setup for Time Machine. It has 2.7TB of free space for data. I'm trying to back up a total of 1.7TB to it which is made up of an external drive containing my iTunes library.

The backup has been going for about 3 days now. I knew it would take a day or so to complete and thought it had done so yesterday morning. At some point TM has kicked off again and while it says its backing up up all the items, the total its backing up is constantly increasing. So instead of saying its backing up 10 Mb of 100Mb (for example) both totals are constantly increasing. Currently sitting at 356 GB of 356 GB. Now 360 GB of 360 GB.....

Meanwhile, this backup has taken up 2.6TB of my Drobo. I've not had any warning from TM about it having to delete old backups yet, so I'm a bit confused as to what's going on.

Any ideas?

2. notsofatjames macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

might be worth starting it all from scratch... just a shame you've lost 3 days! Cant think of any other solution.

3. ascender thread starter macrumors 68000

Just gone in to Time Machine to check what's there and there's no historic backup, so whatever its doing, its never completed a full backup yet.

Sheesh.

Guess its back to square one then.