The new 1.5GHZ 12" PowerBook is the new 2.4GHZ MacBook

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Bobjob186, Dec 26, 2008.

1. Bobjob186 macrumors 6502

Let me start this out by saying I've owned about 25 Apple computers since 1998 when I got my first Apple; a 333mhz Purple iMac Original. From there I was hooked and started buying and selling and upgrading to the next. From '98 till now i've owned: a purple DV 400; probably 4 iMac G4s; 2 iMac G5s; 2 G5 towers; an iBook G4; 2 Mac Minis; 3 PowerBook G4s (12" and 17"); 2 intel iMacs; 4 MacBooks (two 2.0s, two 2.4s); 2 MacBook Airs; a MacBook Pro; and as of a few days ago an aluminum 2.4ghz MacBook.

I've been through my share of these bad boys and I can without a doubt say that when it comes down to the overall best notebook apple has made, it's the 2.4ghz aluminum MacBook.

Now by no means is this the fastest, or the best looking, or the one with the best screen, or the lightest, or the cheapest.

It is however the most computer you get for the price you pay. This thing easily keeps up with my 2.5GHZ Early 2008 macbook pro on most fronts. It keeps me happy on the design side even though I miss the macbook air looks. And it feels like it was built with some quality, no more squeaking like my old macbooks.

It's really built a lot stronger than any other notebook I have ever owned. I gave my blackbook to my dad and typing on that you can literally feel your wrists bending into the plastic, I can push down incredibly hard on the alu and the thing won't even budge.

The screen, yeah it isn't a MacBook Air screen, which is pretty much the best screen I've seen at the beloved 13.3" size, but it holds it's own. It's miles ahead of the previous gen MacBooks. When I first got it, it was pretty washed out, but 2 seconds on MR and I had a profile that brought the blacks right in line to where it needs to be. The thing looks great if you don't want to get too picky.

Backlit keyboard needs to be standard on every apple computer. The 17" PowerBook I had for a few months was the first notebook I had that came with the backlit keys, it was nice but not a deal maker. Once I got a MacBook air though I vowed never to go back to non backlit. The light under the black keys just make the computer look a lot better and is something that will help hold its value. The 2.0's will suffer in resale value once the backlit becomes standard across all lines.

The improved graphics = finally apple! Do you understand we used to but computers with intel GMA950's?!?! How the heck I let myself by more than 1 computer with an intel integrated graphics card only god knows.

Weight: No macbook air, but for the punching power it has, i can deal with 4.5lbs...easily.

Trackpad: Ehh, I have no problem with the actual trackpad button, but this looks better? And it works just as good so no complaining.

No firewire?! I know, I was and still am a huge fan of firewire. I always bought firewire/usb drives because I wanted my usb ports to be open and firewire always was faster....but, you can't say that firewire is on it's way out. Yeah i'll miss it, but I won't lose sleep over it.

This computer pushes the 12" 1.5GHZ PowerBook G4 to the number 2 spot on my list as the best notebook apple has ever made. If you're in the market for a new computer, or looking to upgrade, look no further than the 2.4GHZ Aluminum MacBook. The 12" 1.5GHZ PowerBook G4 was $1699 when I bought it brand new, this guy is definitely worth the $1599 it costs today.

bob

2. Bfat567 macrumors 6502

Bfat567

Interesting thoughts,i also perfer the 12 powerbook to the new macbooks. Though i like all the older g4 and back styling better.

3. FireArse macrumors 6502a

hhmm

Boobjob, thanks for that. But this is all subjective. I must admit, my 12-inch powerbook still reigns supreme in my head (and also the Mac Genius I saw Xmas eve)

The smaller footprint is something Apple aren't going to get right in a while. I do think the new MacBooks are more solid, but will they still feel as solid after 4 years of use like this PB in front of me?

The lack of FireWire is a big ommission. Many were saddened, handy-cams aren't the only use of FW. I refuse to buy a handy-cam without iLink / FW / 1394.

My PB still rules. :)

4. Bobjob186 thread starter macrumors 6502

No I fully agree with you. The 12" PB's will always be the great computers they were and are. When I see people using them in coffee shops or libraries I always do a double take because they are just perfect in size and they catch your eye. But there's no denying that the high end MacBook is up there in the fighting.

5. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

My daughter's graduating this spring and I offered to buy her the new MacBook for graduation so she'd have a brand new freshy for med school next fall. She said "no way, I'm keeping my 12" PB" and it even has 2 missing keys. But, she thought the aluminum MacBooks are cute.

6. cogsinister macrumors 6502a

My old 12 inch PB was dropped twice (once with the screen open) onto a floor and second onto a metal heating register......and not one single scratch was incurred !!!

I hope my unibody is half as tough !!!

7. California macrumors 68040

California

I have owned a whole lot of macs myself since 1990. The 12" PB was very very hard to part with, especially as I had one that was one of the last ones made in March 2006. (Though I didn't buy it until August 2006.)

And i swapped for the 2.4 macbook al and I do like it. Don't LOVE it yet,but that is because of the Fujistu oem drive that will be flying out of the case the moment i get the new 500gb seagate.

With 4gbs of ram, this baby is the replacement for the 12" PB.

And lucky for me, it still fits in my Hobo brand leather backpack/case while inside its orange Zeroshock sleeve. It's a bit larger than I like on a airplane traytable, but it is the new 12" PB in as you said.

There were drawbacks to the 12" -- mainly the 1.25gb ram maximum.

8. cogsinister macrumors 6502a

What is wrong with the Fujitsu drives ?

9. tsice19 macrumors 6502a

tsice19

I love the new MacBooks. It sucks that I needed a computer when I did last March, but what can you do.

I better love my White MacBook, because it has to be my computer for the next 3 years.

10. California macrumors 68040

California

Crappy. Usually test slower than Seagate/Hitachi. Smaller cache drives were used back in the day on oem drives in Apples than the oem Toshibas or Hitachis or Seagates.

They fail fast, too.

11. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Well I'm a fan of my 2.0 alum. MacBook thank you very much :D

12. nylon macrumors 6502a

nylon

In regards to Firewire:

I too am a fan of firewire but have found that the USB 2.0 speed on the new Macbooks is surprisingly quick and consistent. Mine sustains a 34 Mb/sec rate when reading/writing to a drive. Maybe something to do with the Nvidia chipset.

13. pesc macrumors regular

I'll keep using my 12" PB and won't buy a MacBook. The Unibody is very nice, but the MB still has a larger footprint than my 12". The dealbreaker for me is the glossy display. I would pay a $500 premium on a MB with a matte option (and a bezel that isn't black and reflective).

14. FireArse macrumors 6502a

I couldn't agree more. With this whole thread being subjective, I'll continue this theme - I'll never own a Mac with a Glossy Display.

I must admit, my 12PB is now limited to browsing & e-mail (i'll get my iTunes library on it one of these days...) so the 1.25GB of RAM is plenty.

F

15. Gordy macrumors 6502a

I've had the 12in pb (Last version), 1st gen mbp, 3rd gen mbp and the new 2.4ghz macbook.

The 2.4ghz is the best of the lot, its the best comprimise between size and performance for me personally. I use a 20in screen when in the office so screen size isn't a concern.

My old 12" pb is still in use, but I'm always amazed just how dated it now looks as well as just how heavy it is.