The "new" 17'' MacBook Pro and its GPU

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chrisi29, Oct 15, 2008.

1. chrisi29 macrumors member

Hey everyone:eek:

I was wondering.
    With the 15'' MBP now updated, the 17'' model is also marked as "new" at the Apple Store. The design is left the same though... they just increased the ram, the HD and the resolution of the screen. What about the GeForce 8600GT? Apparently there are or could be problems with those in MBP's of the old generation. But what about this "new" 17'' model? I mean if its marked as "new" they can't afford putting a card inside that may be defective?

So if i buy the "new" MacBook 17'' model with the old design now (I hate the new design) could there still be problems with the 8600GT??

thanks for your advice^^
    Greetz
    Chris

2. kingtj macrumors 68020

Defective GPUs?

I *think* the deal is, the 8600GT GPUs that had the defects are believed to all be ones manufactured up through a certain time period. (I want to say I read September of '08, but not positive on that?)

Ones being manufactured now, or in the real recent past, should be issue-free. I assume Apple is only using the latest batches in production of any new 17" Macbook Pros.

3. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

First of all, it not "new." It is the same model as the previous ones. I went to the Apple store to confirm this. The salesman said Apple is selling this model with ram maxed out. Same HD res screen, same keyboard, same graphics, etc. The only model that has truly changed is the 15" Pro and of course the Macbook.

He told me that they had some in stock in the back room ready for sale. I said well I will buy now for cash if you let me look at it first. He said sorry can't do that. Have to buy it first then look at it. Wow....I said what kind of deal is that? He said that is how he was instructed to handle "lookers" request. I said well I have $3500 cash in my pocket and I am ready to buy if you will let me look first - he still said no. So I figured well Apple doesn't want my money - so I will take it elsewhere.

4. Freewayjim macrumors regular

Freewayjim

5. thedarkhorse macrumors 6502a

There's a new 17" coming, rumors are that display issues and optical drive issues are delaying it's release.
    So for the meantime Apple just put a bunch of the bto options as standard in the 17", added new hd options and called it new.