The new 24" for 2nd Display

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Soura2112, Oct 19, 2008.

1. Soura2112 macrumors 6502

I have wanted a 2nd display for my G5. I do a lot of video and photo editing, plus lots more (no games though). I was curious if you guys like the new display? I also have a mac pro laptop so I love how it works with that. But I want to make sure this display is worth it. I also do not see a Firewire hook up on it, but I have them on my G5 and my current display so I think I am okay with firewire, though I wish I had more.
    Thanks for any advice or reviews.

2. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

well, in my opinion the only good thing about the new display is that it's LED backlit.

For photo editing, the glassy screen would bother me. Also, to get it to work with your G5, you'll need to purchase a $99 adapter. That brings up the cost to $999 for a 24" display. A little pricey in my opinion.

3. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Nope. There is no adapter to go from DVI to DisplayPort. The adapters are for the new laptops to connect to a DVI (or VGA) monitor, not the other way around.

4. nanofrog macrumors G4

If you're doing graphics work, you might be better getting something else.
    The new 24" is a consumer product aimed at notebook users, not professionals.

The downside, is pro monitors aren't cheap. :( If you can wait, we may see Apple update the professional monitors with the Mac Pro, so look to MacWorld '09. If this doesn't happen, there are others, including LED back lit models already available. Jan. '09 might be long enough for others to be released, and the prices drop further.

A lot to consider, but waiting may be worth it, as you do have a currently working unit. Dead would be a different story. :p

5. vandlism macrumors 6502

The new 24" display is priced the same as the 23" Apple Cinema Display. They also both have the same resolution. Your best option is to go for the 20" or 23" Cinema Display as they have the ports you need with no extra adapters.