The New 30" Apple Cinema HD Display ?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Nikonni, Sep 10, 2009.

1. Nikonni macrumors newbie

Anyone have any idea when these suckers might be updated, I want to buy but Im not paying £1100 for something with 700:1 Contrast.. Anyone hear anything new on these ? I dont know why they just didn't update them when the 24" came out ><

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

We still have no clue...but given product cycles, there wouldn't likely be one until January-February, but that assumes there is going to be one.

3. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

ACDs are probably one of the most unpredictable product lines. They could come out next week or next year. We don't know. They are updated extremely irregularly and there's no rumors I know of at the moment.

4. vaderhater245 macrumors 6502

It'd be interesting to see the price tag of the new model. cheaper or more expensive?

5. macintel4me macrumors 6502

That's even optimistic saying next year given Apple hasn't refreshed the 30" ACD in a few years.

6. fernande-mac macrumors regular

First question that comes to mind is: What's wrong with the current model?

The last change was from plastic encasing to aluminum with thin border so that you could have several monitors next to each other. The aluminum encasing was to match the line of Power Mac/Mac Pro desktop boxes.

What kind of improvements are you looking for in these displays?

7. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

I'm planning to buy one of the current refurbished 30" ACDs to replace my 23" ACD. When the new 30" ones come out, they will likely be expensive and have glossy screens.

8. fernande-mac macrumors regular

This spec is useless as every company uses a different reference point.

You really want to see the display operating under your working/gaming conditions.

The new models are probably going to look like the recent 24" display. The LED back lighting may help with brightness and contrast, but I am not fond of the glossy screen.

I am very pleased with my 23" legacy Apple Digital Display.

There are no delays or artifacts when rendering high movement scenes from games or movies.

It is very bright and readable even under direct sun light.

And the blacks are black.

9. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

Color is a far more reasonable metric. Of course, it doesn't have an easy to quote or recognize number (they've taken to using % reproduction of NTSC, which is several decades old and aRGB would be a much better metric), so it never winds up in package print.

 monitors are not, and have never been aimed at people who look for specs. They're aimed at video/photo professionals.

10. fernande-mac macrumors regular

That's true. They have "sacrificed" other specs for color accuracy.

If you look at feedback from users, you will find many photographers praising the display, but gamers and video enthusiasts complaining about the inability to connect this display to a BluRay player or PS3. :eek:

11. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

I'd like to see a revised display that's HDCP-complaint, for one. Sooner or later we'll be able to play BluRay discs on our macs and I'd be worried if I were buying a 30" display today that it might not support that down the road.

Another logical change (but not really a compelling one) would be a move to DisplayPort instead of dual-link DVI.

I assume that both of those changes will happen whenever BluRay happens, but that's not much help for someone who wants to buy a 30" display right now.

12. fernande-mac macrumors regular

You are right. Once Apple provides support for BluRay, I would expect many peripherals to be updated to compensate for the upgrade.

However, for what is supported in all the Mac configurations nowadays, I still believe that current display offerings are good.

Call me pessimistic, but I don't see any BluRay support from Apple any time soon.

The common PC user does not really benefit from BluRay media except for backups. Playing a 1080p movie on an iPhone, iPod touch, or a 17" laptop screen is not really going to look that much better and will require a lot of horse power to handle.

The only benefit would be for desktop users with 23" displays or bigger.

Although some people may consider they PCs as their main media player, I prefer to sit comfortably on my couch in front of my large HDTV instead of my computer. There isn't much cinematic experience I can get out of a 23-30" screen and stereo speakers. I would rather spend $300-400 on a PS3 as my main BluRay player attached to my existing amplifier + speaker setup instead of $2000-4000 on a Mac Pro just to watch movies.

13. canes960 macrumors 6502

They need to hurry up and update it so I can buy the updated verison

14. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I bought the updated 30" Cinema HD about 3 months ago.
    It's called the Dell 3008WFP. Love it.

15. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

My thougts exactly. Apple seems to have a nice track record catering to the goofs who enjoy over saturated glassy gloss screens.

16. lollicup macrumors regular

I love my 23 aluminum Apple cinena display

sure the blacks are lacking (probably why the contrast values aren't that high)

but other than that its a perfect monitor, great colors, HUGE viewing angle, even backlight, etc

I just wish they weren't still so expensive so i could sell it and get the 30" model :)

17. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

I gave up on the idea of getting a 30" ACD due to the fiasco that is the Apple miniDisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI adapter. It is too much money to spend with a risk that the adapter won't work on my uMBP.

I just ordered the Dell 3008 and a $15 mini to regular DisplayPort adapter. A new 3008 cost me about as much as a refurbished 30" ACD.

18. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

Oversaturated or undercalibrated? I don't have a 24" ACD.

19. mac88 macrumors 6502

An update would be great. I would love to go for a 30" ACD but even a refurb price is a little high for me.

20. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

No one ever said it was a bargain.

21. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

If you wanted something cheap, a Dell 3007, or HP 3065, or various other 30" models that aren't quite latest or greatest would work too.

I still feel very ambivalent about 30" monitors. The high resolution is nice, but the expense and disadvantages of 30" monitors make it a tough sell for home use. Of course, if I had a video editing suite that wasn't at home, that someone else was paying for...like I'm sure most 30" users do.

22. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

The 3007 would have cost me $1 less than the 3008 (3007 = $1299 + $99, 3008 = $1399), because I'd have to use Apple's $99 adapter, which doesn't work for a lot of people. Ditto for the HP or Samsung 30" With all but the Dell 3008 I'm stuck trying to get the Apple adapter to work.

I'm a software engineer and I do amateur motorsports photography. This is money very well spent for me.