Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stooovie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2010
The idea is, you shouldn't worry or even notice app updates at all. It's not like users have much say about updating anyway. It's similar to web apps - you have zero say over what version of the web app of, say, Evernote or Spotify you use.

A different thing is, auto-updates tend to be a bit haphazard, yeah.

jonblatho

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2014
Oklahoma
I don’t like it, not due to it not being a tab, but because it’s behind your account info.

I’ve always set a restriction,
Accounts changes = disallowed, to add an extra layer of security - nobody can stumble into your iCloud settings and disable minor, but nonetheless significant stuff, without knowing your restrictions passcode.

Updates now require Account changes - allowed, as you can only get to the updates via the user icon, which is greyed out if you disallow account changes.

All that probably doesn’t make sense the way I’ve explained it, heh, but it is a valid complaint and a step back.
That sounds like a bug in that it’s an edge case they forgot to account for. Hopefully you’ve reported it somewhere other than here.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
It took me an embarrassingly long time to find it, but it works for me now. I think the point is that they want everyone to have automatic updating so there shouldn't be a need for a full tab.

That is likely however my biggest issue so far, and I realize it is a beta, is that I get a notice in the app that I need to update or the app isn't working as expected and I go look for an update. One is available but auto update has not occurred.
Has been a common item throughout the iOS 13 Beta.

For that matter, auto update has been very much hit / miss in iOS 12 also.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
You can also long press on the App Store icon to pull up the 3D Touch actions - one of those will update apps

No it doesn't.
XS Max iOS13 PB3
Long Press shows:
  • Search
  • Redeemed
  • Purchased
  • Rearrange Apps

Yeah, it does. Xs Max, iOS 13 DP4

IMG_1052.png

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2011
At least in beta I got the red dot for updates but there are no pending updates when I open the app

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2011
I just went through all the apps listed in the updates section that appeared to have no updates needed and found that once I opened the app it actually did need an update. Found about 10 of 20+ listed

Reactions: dk001

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
The idea is, you shouldn't worry or even notice app updates at all. It's not like users have much say about updating anyway. It's similar to web apps - you have zero say over what version of the web app of, say, Evernote or Spotify you use.

The problem with that idea is a lot of time I wouldn't have any idea interesting new features were added if I hadn't read the release notes for an update.

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
I agree.
Maybe something with the PB?

I saw the long press post and was like ... Yes!

But it doesn't at least for me. :(

it was inconsistent in ios 12 and appears to be similarly inconsistent in ios 13... i have a feeling it becomes inaccessible when it is in the midst of downloading one or more of said updates in the background, but this is a very opaque process so obviously it could be any number of reasons.

Reactions: dk001

johannnn

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2009
Sweden
What’s the actual problem with this change? Apps just update automatically regardless.

Are you OCD and want to approve every update manually, after reading the release notes and approves every bug fix?

Mr$tone

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2017
I think the new update system solves one important problem: Constantly manually checking for updates.
I have auto update enabled but have a habit of constantly (way to often) manually look for updates. I don’t know why. It’s a thing I do. Now with iOS 13 I have slowed that habit down a lot and put more trust to the auto update.
To those saying auto update doesn’t work you need to understand that it mostly triggers when on Wi-Fi, charging and idle. Like over night. It doesn’t kick in as soon as there’s an update and that I think is why I formerly had a habit of manually looking for updates.
The new ”hidden” manually update is actually a very well feature—at least mentally.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Hmm here is what it does on latest beta for iPad.

Have to check that out later.
Thx
[doublepost=1564328145][/doublepost]
What’s the actual problem with this change? Apps just update automatically regardless.

Are you OCD and want to approve every update manually, after reading the release notes and approves every bug fix?

Reread my original post.
I am running into apps that on launch tell me I need the latest update or there are new functions if I install the latest update. I’ll go into the App Store and look and sure enough I will have a crap load of updates that have not installed.
[doublepost=1564328352][/doublepost]Now this morning ... sigh. o_O
XS Max PB3
I long press and I can see the Update option. Yes!
But wait. I turned on Badges on App Store. No Badge. I open App Store. No updates badge. I open my ID and nope, no updates.

Hope they fix this soon. Then again, at this point I am not sure how it is supposed to really be working.
Until then I am doing a daily check for updates.

Last edited:

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
No badge except once - immediately after latest beta.

Never automatically updated apps. They sit there for days.

Qualifies as 100% bonkers broken not performing as intended.

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
I hate the new process for updating apps, just another example of how much Apple’s intuitive design has fallen - really awful decision by whoever came up with this, simply defies all user interface logic and is completely and entirely awful.

Mr$tone

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2017
I hate the new process for updating apps, just another example of how much Apple’s intuitive design has fallen - really awful decision by whoever came up with this, simply defies all user interface logic and is completely and entirely awful.
I think people are missing the point that Apple (probably) want people to rely more on auto update (which works fine if used as intentioned, i.e. on Wi-Fi, when charging and idle).

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2012
You can also long press on the App Store icon to pull up the 3D Touch actions - one of those will update apps

Weirdly this has stopped working for me.

It was fine the first couple of times, but since then it’s now opening up on the main Today view rather than straight into the Updates panel.

Thos makes it no quicker than just tapping the icon sadly.

Guessing this is another Beta bug.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
I agree with what many have said. I don't have the betas, I don't even have iOS 12. I'm on iOS 9, but, contrary to what Apple does with many settings (it moves them around, ALL the time, for no apparent reason other than to just... change), this is a regression.
Why couldn't they keep the tab? This makes no sense, at all. It seems it's another of Apple's "change for the sake of change".

Reactions: Shirasaki and dk001
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.