The New Apple Pippin Gaming Console?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by dcl007, Dec 3, 2007.

1. dcl007 macrumors newbie

dcl007

I purpose that Apple renew its ties with 3rd party publishers and create some exclusive game titles for a Mac console, and fast. I would not suggest that they name the platform after an actual fruit like the Pippin, but something that is as cool, if not cooler, than "XBOX 360", "PS3" or "Wii". The team at Apple have more than enough intuitiveness to come up with the technology but if they are even considering competing in the video game world they should start sketching up ideas soon. Although the new consoles like XBOX 360, PS3 and Wii are still pretty young, everyone knows there's always going to be a new gaming technology and I strongly believe Apple should be at the front of it.

Your thoughts?

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Apple have sweet f-all experience in making games or consoles. Console wars are an incredibly expensive business.

In closing - worst. idea. evar.

3. dcl007 thread starter macrumors newbie

dcl007

Please don't sugar coat it, tell me how you really feel ahaha.

4. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

while i agree, sony had just about as much experience making consoles when the playstation came out ... ;)

5. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

mmm a console too far - our house has :
    PS2
    PS3
    Xbox
    Xbox360
    PSP Slim & Lite
    DS Lite
    Nintento Wii

so maybe 1 more might be too much :p

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

No sir I can't see it happening. The market is already full of 3 consoles that fill the markets requirements. Microsoft want to make a handheld gaming platform too (I believe) which will be terrible, since the market is even more saturated there.

What could Apple provide that others don't in this market? iTunes?

7. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I'm with you on that one...although I wouldn't put the apple console out of the picture entirely without seeing the exclusives.

Bless

8. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I think it would be a lot harder, and considerably more expensive to break the current console market.

Didn't MS just have to wave goodbye to $1bn for a warranty extension scheme? Given Apple's recent hardware quality something like this wouldn't be too difficult to imagine. Sony are still making a loss on the PS3 etc.

Such a bad idea. It would be SO expensive, need SO much time, and SO many people to even begin to work, and then if it failed it would hurt them badly.

9. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

With their recent history, I could see Apple doing this just to get further market penetration with another popular product (cell phone, game console). On the other hand, I hope they don't take this path since it seems that they are already putting their efforts into computing on the back burner for these other projects (witness the delay in the release of Leopard)

10. dcl007 thread starter macrumors newbie

dcl007

These are all sweet points, exactly what I was hoping.
    No doubt that the creation of a Mac console would take a hell of a long time, but why not have one more option when going out christmas shopping or something? Can't hurt to have one more. Besides I still have my NES, Nintendo 64, Sega Genesis, Gameboy and the first XBOX, and I still play them from time to time (minus the gameboy).

11. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

Definately. I'd not bother without at least $5bn. But Apple do have far more than that in the bank :p remember i'm still not saying it's possible, clever or anything!

Lol. at least $1bn, prolly far more.

aaaaabsolutely.

12. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

No, Apple needs to make a media centric living room computer that happens to play games, rather than a game console that happens to play media and fit in the living room. Apple has the right idea with AppleTV, though it still has a long way to go. Basically they just need to turn the mac mini into a totally living room friendly device, and that'll take over the world. It'll play all the awesome games that you can play on any Mac, like WoW, but that'll just be as a result of it being an all around awesome living room computer rather than being a game console that can do other things.

13. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

No it won't, because to play "awesome games" it would have to have high spec graphics and processing, something a home media device doesn't need and that the expense of which would make most people not buy.

Apple need to have a passable gaming experience on the desktop before they could even consider gaming media centres, and maybe then consoles.

14. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

Slight edit :)

15. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

The Mac Mini is capable of delivering a very fun gaming experience, even on relatively modern games like WoW. And of course there are a gazillion slightly older titles that would run perfectly. And although the Mac mini can run amazing looking current games, the Wii has driven the message home - it's not so much about how dazzling the graphics are, it's about how fun and engaging the game is to play.

16. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

1 game :

Call of Duty 4 for Xbox 360 - excellent graphics/ excellent gameplay

this is how good games should be - if the Mini was pitched as a console of some type then it needs to get the basics right, but i think Apple might be way off if they want to compete with Xbox or even the Wii as they all have there own area in the gaming world.

The DS for example - crap graphics IMO - but fun play ! the same with the Wii - 360 and PS3 are candy for us gamers that want more.

17. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

It would be really, really cool, but the problem is this; the gaming market is not only too saturated, but also really expensive to enter. With the sole exception of Nintendo, everyone has to loss-lead the systems and sell tons of games to make up for it. To gain only a 16% marketshare with the original XBox Microsoft had to absorb a 4-5 billion dollar loss; just for a foothold!

I doubt Apple could afford to dive in to the market, since they typically would sell the product for a profit (no one would buy it next to competitors) or wouldn't have the third party support to land initial exclusives and thus not make up their loss.

Now, Apple COULD theoretically enter the handheld market. Personally, I think the best idea right now is to position the iPhone/iPod Touch as a gaming handheld. Not the casual game crap that Apple is pushing over iTunes, but serious games. Look at the kind of things Nintendo has going on the DS, like Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (controlled entirely with the touch screen), or point and click adventures, or Brain Age/Brain Training, or Elite Beat Agents (which would be PERFECT for the iPhone).

THAT would be interesting.

18. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Exactly. So cool to use your own tracks, though Apple would probably block that and charge us for the privilege.

But hey ho - Apple will offer basic gaming solutions and have third parties make them for them - just to appease the small minority who do game on their hardware. After all who really games on their ipod anyway ?

As many others have said. The market is too saturated as it is. Apple would be stupid to bother risking it.

19. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

How in the world would they produce games for a new game console when they can't even do it for their own line of computers?

20. pcypert macrumors 6502

They need to team with the Wii and get the appleTV paired with the Wii. Perfect for both systems. Nintendo sucks with content system apart from VC and no hard drive. AppleTV is kind of lame on it's own without some major hacking. Wii points cards that can get iTunes, VC, Movies, etc...all on one box in your living room...now we're talking :)

21. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Nintendo has and will continue to do fine without anyone's help. Especially with the Wii.

The game console industry has always proven that there is always the top two, and the also-ran. Anyone with a 4th console on is essentially ignored.

Apple needs to stick with computers and iPods...

22. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

Sony was supposed to create the "SNES CD" add-on with Nintendo. Sony wanted too much money for it (basically) and Nintendo walked away. Sony also created the sound chips that the SNES used. So they had some help with getting started in the console sector.

Apple probably could revive the Pippin, as long as they could stand to make one of two choices. Either make a system that goes up against the 360 and PS3 [losing tons of money in the process], or make a system that goes up against the Wii [and get creamed very very badly]. Not a whole lot of choice there. I don't even know if making a handheld would be a good idea. How would Apple attract developers to thier platform? The iPod Touch/iPhone would be a cool platform for games, if they were cheaper (less than 199, preferably as close to 99 as possible). They would need a killer app, something that would get tons of people lined up to get it.

Basically, I don't see Apple doing console games of any sort any time soon.

23. applekid macrumors 68020

Sorry to rant here, but I assume by you saying WoW is "modern," I take it you mean a hardware intensive game? This isn't pointed towards you, but instead towards all of the silly WoW threads that pop up weekly...

This is the system requirements for WoW: http://us.blizzard.com/support/article.xml?articleId=21054 . I don't understand why every Mac release we have to get a thread asking "will WoW run on my Mac?" OF COURSE IT'LL RUN ON YOUR MAC! The game is old! Blizzard has done a lot with the patches to improve the eye candy so that newer systems can take advantage of it, but damn... This game was running on Macs from about 6 years ago at bare minimum! *ahem*

But yes. Nintendo has already proven graphics don't matter. It's all about gameplay. (Although, with a game like Bioshock, an immersive story gets the job done, too.) But, Apple isn't a game company and not really a company that supported games all that well. Sure they wanted to bring Half Life 2 over to the Mac (according to the blog by IMG's editor-in-chief) and got EA to Cider-ize their games, but we all know Mac game performance ain't there. OpenGL and GPU drivers could be better, but Apple doesn't put in their full efforts on that anyway. Maybe if I saw some real effort in Mac gaming, I could try to support an Apple game console.

I want Apple in my living room, but I can't justify buying an AppleTV. Ever since the 360 added H.264 support, I've been using an external hard drive to watch my DVD rips of TV shows and movies. I only wish my iTunes content would be playable on the 360. I could see Apple partnering up with any of the three game console companies to provide iTunes content, but from seeing how Apple keeps iTunes all to itself, that probably isn't all that probable.

I'd also say there is room in the market for more competition, but it would take lots of risks, exclusives, and effort. If Microsoft or Sony can do it, so can another company. It's just the chance of failure is high by looking at some of the companies that attempted or dropped out of the console wars in the last two decades.

If there's any indication that Apple might be interested even in the slightest, it's those occasional game-related rumors we get.

24. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Eh? Didn't the PS1 and 2 prove this already?

25. Virgil-TB2 macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

Apple believes in open standards, so given that, you won't see any "DirectX" shenanigans from them. :)

Once you understand that idea, then an "Apple console" could only really exist if it's just a dedicated hardware box running OS-X but with "suped-up" specs.

So then if it's a small dedicated OS-X box connected to your TV that plays games,...

... my bet is we are either talking about a future version of AppleTV or they just won't do it at all.