Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iGav

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 9, 2002
Who'd have thought... though not a surprise I guess when the new RS4 is being tipped as a better drivers car than the M3 and M3 CSL.

The one criticism I had of the original TT was the way that it drove, in original-unmolested guise it was cracking, with a rear end soooooo naughty :D but after the shameful demasculination... it lost that edge, but according to Autocar the new model is really rather good... even uttering it in the same breath as the Cayman. :eek:

Crikey.

I need to bag one of these for a 48 hour test drive. :D

Rinky dink link

jaydub

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2006
I got to see one in the flesh at the New York Intl Auto Show, they really do look nice. The proportions haven't changed much, and if the driving dynamics have finally matched the looks, it should be a great driver's car.

Speaking of the RS4, I just watched the episode of Top Gear where Clarkson drove it up and down the mountain against those climbers. So lovely....

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
You knew this was coming...

UGLY! It's ugly!!! :mad:

They've ruined the good looks of the original TT... this is more like that Nissan 350, or (as someone posted previously) the bastard son of a Porsche Cayman and a Ford Focus.

If they could have improved the driveability (which was already REALLY good) while keeping the original design, I'd be all over it. But now I'm gonna keep my 2002 TT until the wheels fall off.

XIII

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2004
England
clayj said:
You knew this was coming...

UGLY! It's ugly!!! :mad:

They've ruined the good looks of the original TT... this is more like that Nissan 350, or (as someone posted previously) the bastard son of a Porsche Cayman and a Ford Focus.

If they could have improved the driveability (which was already REALLY good) while keeping the original design, I'd be all over it. But now I'm gonna keep my 2002 TT until the wheels fall off.

Wrong wrong wrong. :p Some people call this opinion - I prefer fact :p

This one looks a lot better. The old TT was too.. argh. Too curvy and bumpy. I really didn't like it too much.

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
XIII said:
Wrong wrong wrong. :p Some people call this opinion - I prefer fact :p

This one looks a lot better. The old TT was too.. argh. Too curvy and bumpy. I really didn't like it too much.
The old TT won design awards, including Design of the Year back in 1999 from International Design magazine. (The same issue in which Apple won an award for the G4 Cube, IIRC.)

The new TT is derivative and isn't going to win any awards, except for obscure awards from car magazines.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I knew before even clicking that clayj would have an opinion here. ;)

I tend to agree with him... the new one is too... bland in appearance. But I like the specs and I bet it's more fun to drive. I think Clay should buy one just to compare the two.

XIII

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2004
England
clayj said:
The old TT won design awards, including Design of the Year back in 1999 from International Design magazine. (The same issue in which Apple won an award for the G4 Cube, IIRC.)

The new TT is derivative and isn't going to win any awards, except for obscure awards from car magazines.

It was a radical design, very curvy as I said, and very different. Personally, I didn't really like it. It was too cutsy. Obviously this is my opinion (and even design awards are opinion to a certain extent), but hey. We're all entitled to one..

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
jsw said:
I knew before even clicking that clayj would have an opinion here. ;)

I tend to agree with him... the new one is too... bland in appearance. But I like the specs and I bet it's more fun to drive. I think Clay should buy one just to compare the two.
Blasphemy.

I chose the TT (back in 2000... bought a black one, which I traded in for a silver one in 2002 before they f'ed up the design) solely based on its form. Function was an afterthought for me, since I knew just from looking at the form that the function would occur naturally as a result of the near-perfect form of the car. (Sort of a Howard Roark moment, I guess.)

The form of the new TT does NOTHING for me. I'm sure the function is there, but I simply don't like how they've messed up the car. Of course, this was inevitable, since a car designer can't keep his job if he's not constantly tinkering with the design.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.