The New Bootcamp (4.01) does this let me install Win7 on an optibay system now??????

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Bobby Corwen, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

Ok so a few months ago there was no way to get Win7 on an optibay rig without some serious drive swapping. You had to remove and replace drives just to get around the fact that the disk reader was no longer internl and because of Win7's boot requirements.

Now we have the new Bootcamp (it even looks for wifi) and it will let you see USB ports and so on and so forth.

I have an SSD in the primary and HDD in the sencondary optibay. Early 2011 MBP with up to date Lion.

I have an empty 4GB USB pen drive.

I have Refit.

I have a Win7 disk.

My question is what are my options? Can I install Win7 to Bootcamp from my HDD or only my SSD?

I would be willing to do anything software wise without having to open up my case.

Please.

Help me.

For the sake of the Old Republic...

2. macfan74318 macrumors member

You can use the new bootcamp to install via usb disk drive to either drive.

Macfan74318

3. Bobby Corwen thread starter macrumors 68030

I tried this but it restarted and went black screen for awhile?

Was I just not waiting long? Waited like 2 min almost.

4. JronMasteR macrumors 6502

JronMasteR

Hi there. I had the same problem. I ended up putting the superdrive back in. I just saw your thread and was hoping that the issue would be resolved now. So I tried booting from my Win 7 DVD using the external superdrive but it didn't work. Sadly...

5. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Can Win7 not install from an external DVD driver? What about all those netbooks without DVD drives? Surely there must be a way around this.

6. Bobby Corwen thread starter macrumors 68030

What about a USB pen drive? If I copy the Win7 files to that?

7. iammike1 macrumors 6502a

iammike1

Having the same issue here. Really aggravating and I'm not willing to reinstall the optical drive.

Would defeat the purpose anyway since I'm trying to install Windows to the 1TB in the old optical bay.

8. macfan74318 macrumors member

I know there is a option for a USB Drive but I wont let me select it. Also I have not been able to boot into the disk

----------

Also when looking at the info.plst I saw this

<key>USBBootSupportedModels</key>
    <array>
    <string>IM130</string>
    <string>MM50</string>
    <string>MP60</string>
    <string>MB80</string>
    <string>MBP90</string>
    <string>MBA40</string>
    </array>

I dont know how add the 13 15 or 17 Macbook Pro's because I dont know the identifier but I someone knew this then we would be able to use a USB Drive