Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jnl1211

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2011
NWIndiana

Attachments

• 16-9.png
    16-9.png
    297.5 KB · Views: 668

jnl1211

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2011
NWIndiana
Would someone be so kind to test if it's still possible to make hidden applications appear transparent in the Dock? I find it super handy, it can be enabled through Terminal

Like so?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-06-18 at 4.01.18 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-06-18 at 4.01.18 PM.png
    675.4 KB · Views: 678

Gradsta

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2011
Why 2D? I don't get it but its just a dock in the end. Is it purely based on looks?

I've come to realize that the 3D dock uses quite a bit more resources than its 2D counterpart. As a result, animations suffer when the 3D dock is enabled on older hardware (like my late 2008, unibody MacBook, for example). That's why I choose to use the 2D version. I much prefer smooth animations over a three-dimensional dock.

jackeill

macrumors member
May 2, 2010
I've come to realize that the 3D dock uses quite a bit more resources than its 2D counterpart. As a result, animations suffer when the 3D dock is enabled on older hardware (like my late 2008, unibody MacBook, for example). That's why I choose to use the 2D version. I much prefer smooth animations over a three-dimensional dock.
It is so because this blurry reflection on this frosted surface needs more computing power than straightforward reflection used in previous dock. However, it should be optimized so it doesn't affect UX...

Drew017

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2011
East coast, USA
I'm wondering if it is possible to copy over the Lion dock to ML in order to keep both a 3D dock and smooth transitions/ animations...

freedevil

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2007

I understand but honestly in the grand scheme of things your computer performance overall will be poor regardless of 3d or not. I was craping by with my 2006 iMac on Lion as well. I disabled every animation and it was still a terrible experience heh.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
If they changed the dock on Mountain Lion, they should change the one on iOS 6 since they basically used the same one. If they don’t, then they won’t match anymore. I know, third world problems.

Can you check if there is an option to use the old one real quick? Not a big deal though, I can always just hack it back with an app.

I wonder if they'll change it before the GM. can't think of any good reason to have mismatching dock styles (and I do prefer the new Mountain Lion one).

TheSuperSteve

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2011
Puerto Rico
I wonder if they'll change it before the GM. can't think of any good reason to have mismatching dock styles (and I do prefer the new Mountain Lion one).

Oh I like the new dock too, that's why I want it on iOS.

I'm thinking the new dock will probably be an iOS 6.1 or 7 thing if they don't do it before the GM. Why? I'm not sure. Apple works in... strange ways sometimes even though changing the graphic shouldn't take more than a few minutes.

Aodhan

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2012
Is it possible to use the dock with just the icons, without the glass platform beneath?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.