The new ForceTouch Trackpad is pretty amazing!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by HumpYourWayUp, May 31, 2015.

1. HumpYourWayUp macrumors regular

HumpYourWayUp

After owning a Mid-2012 15 inch Retina Macbook Pro for almost three years I bought the new maxed out 15 inch model. I am really happy with the overall big performance boost and the new GPU.

And the ForceTouch is really cool.
    I used the old Trackpad (in the Macbook and the standalone version) for years. So I was eager to try out the new trackpad. The first day you might need some time to adjust to it (in my case half a day)!!
    The click feels good (you can even change the intensity in the control panel). It is also nice that it clicks at the top of the trackpad (the old one was - how do you say - a rocker. So the top end of the pad was fixed - no clicking there :D).
    What is very cool is that apps start to utilize the new trackpad. Like iMovie which offers a feedback on the pad. For example when you reach the end of a clip. (I hope the next Final Cut update integrates this too).

The force click is also a nice addition even though I would love to have more control in the settings what it does.

Nice read for new ForceTouch owners:

http://www.cnet.com/how-to/14-ways-to-use-force-click-on-your-macbook/

Some people don't like the new ForceTouch but remember people also went berserk when Apple dropped the floppy disk - lol

2. Fthree macrumors 6502a

100% agree with you. AND thoroughly love the performance of the 15'

I haven't owned a 15 inch but tried a few out at the apple store and before the force touch i didn't like the way the older models "clicked"

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I agree, the Force Touch trackpad is great. I used it side by side with my mid 2009 MBP and the "click" feels different, but not enough to be a problem.

I've never been a fan of tap to click, so this is a great feature for me.

4. Cuniac macrumors 6502a

The Force touch trackpad is great. The click feels slightly different but I really like how it is now. I'm a little confused with the Force touch though. I was under the impression that the 2nd click was with the taptic engine but it feels physical. Maybe I was wrong and it is physical lol. Either way I love it

5. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

The trackpad doesn't have a physical click at all. The "click" you're feeling, in either situation, is the haptic feedback tricking you into feeling a click.

6. Cuniac macrumors 6502a

Seriously? I thought that was just the case on the MacBook but the MBP had 1st click was physical and 2nd was haptic

7. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Nope. Turn your rMBP off and push on the trackpad. It doesn't move.

8. Cuniac macrumors 6502a

Mind Blown

9. Fthree macrumors 6502a

Yes!

10. elmateo487 macrumors 6502a

Is no one having problems with the trackpad not releasing? So for example, you click into the volume slider of some web app, or quicktime etc and even if you let off with your finger the cursor will still be attached to the slider and moving the cursor still moves the slider?

11. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Nope. Do you have tap to click enabled?

12. elmateo487 macrumors 6502a

I do have it enabled. I can get it to happen all the time. Ill try and get a screencast of it

13. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I don't have tap to click enabled, I don't get along with the function.

Turn it off and see if you still have the issue?

14. elmateo487 macrumors 6502a

Here is a quick low quality screen grab. Note it happening at :21 and :53. It will lock into the slider, and thats that. You can't see it, but I am removing my finger from the trackpad, and it still remains locked in there until I click again.

I can't get it to happen with tap to click turned off.

15. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Sounds like it's related to tap to click.

16. elmateo487 macrumors 6502a

I would assume most things are new about the trackpad, and since this doesn't happen on my other two laptops, something must have changed in the tap to click if that is true.

17. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Maybe the behavior will be fixed in 10.10.4.

18. SCOLANATOR macrumors 6502a

SCOLANATOR

Yup I totally agree, I have had both next to each other for benchmarking and the old trackpad feels just so dated and cumbersome to use. It really feels like you're clicking, quite something!