The New Graphics

Discussion in 'iMac' started by TomD1, Oct 28, 2012.

1. TomD1 macrumors newbie

I'm thinking of buying the iMac 2012 base 21.5 inch,

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Graphics-Cards-Benchmark-List.844.0.html
    this list clearly says the nvidia GT640M (nr. 80 in the list) is superior to the Radeon HD 6570M I'm using now (nr. 129 in the list).

But what does this mean in real world performance? Is it a huge boost? will I even notice it? Is it a weak card (512MB RAM)? How does it compare to the Radeon 6570M?

Thank you.

2. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

You'll only really notice it in games, or if you use professional applications that utilise the graphics card like Final Cut, etc.

3. blanka macrumors 68000

We should wait for real Mac benchmarks. Apple usually uses real DDR5 VRAM compared to most PC notebook shared RAM solutions. A HD6630 in the mini is also 20-30% faster than the ones found in PC notebooks.

4. TomD1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you,

so not that much of an improvement?

Does anyone know when reviewers like Engadget etc. get review-units?

5. Skulls macrumors newbie

512 video memory is enough for a 21". You don't have large areas in full screen.

GeForces are generally better when it comes to calculating physics in games. But that's only if you play games.
    Actually the most important reason for me whereas I'd always pick GeForce is GPU acceleration. Currently Adobe Premiere uses GeForce's CUDA to aid the rendering - it's called Mercury Engine and it has a tremendous effect. Not sure for After Effects though. But what's more important is the tendency - more and more software tends to use GPU acceleration: video players, editing software, browsers etc. The main reason i didn't buy 2011 imac was the video-card . I'd never buy a Radeon.

And the best advice is to wait some real benchmarks. I hope AnandTech will - this guy is the best tech tester: http://www.anandtech.com/tag/mac

6. the8thark macrumors 68040

the8thark

Nothing wrong with the Radeons. For 95% of people both major brand of GPU will work just fine. I prefer the Radeons myself. But I'm not that stuck in the mud that I won't ever buy a nvidia.

7. Cory Bauer macrumors 6502a

Mercury Engine requires 1GB VRAM minimum, does it not?