The new iBook - Here it is ;)


The_Man

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2005
274
0
Good one.

I would like to see that exact same thing on apple.com tuesday (hopefully) after the updates.
 

amac4me

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
1,301
0
I wonder if Apple will release new iBooks after the "Buy a Mac. Get a free iPod mini." promotion. I would think that they would but would welcome any new iBooks as part of the promotion.

If they get these new iBooks out ASAP, it would be a great boost for sales considering the Back to Schook shopping season.
 

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
6,943
3
Citizens Bank Park
TheSisko said:
Would that dissappoint you? :rolleyes:
No. It just doesn't seem plausible. Why would Apple give the iBook almost exactly the same specs as its $1000 more big brother? Nice job with the pic, but next time maybe a little more realistic.
 

TheSisko

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2005
105
0
Switzerland
nightdweller25 said:
Looks god, just change the graphics card to the one the 12-inch PowerBook uses, and your there.
That makes no sense. Why would Apple change the graphics card to one with almost the same performance? According to Apple, Core Image runs faster on the processor than on the FX5200.
 

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
6,943
3
Citizens Bank Park
TheSisko said:
That makes no sense. Why would Apple change the graphics card to one with almost the same performance? According to Apple, Core Image runs faster on the processor than on the FX5200.
But I can't ever remember any iBook having a faster vid card than than the current PowerBooks of the time. Can anyone confirm or dispute this (my memory tends to be flakey)?
 

budugu

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2004
433
0
Boston, MA
9600 it will be!

Why not! ... as i mentioned in anothere thread ...emac, imac, power mac use 9600! with different menories and bandwidths 64, 128, 256! I think apple would want to consolidate it's line for now ... more than get into product differentiation. Thus a bottlenecked :p version of 9600 is what we are going to see!
 

TheSisko

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2005
105
0
Switzerland
grapes911 said:
But I can't ever remember any iBook having a faster vid card than than the current PowerBooks of the time. Can anyone confirm or dispute this (my memory tends to be flakey)?
I don't believe that this will happen either.
But in any case, a switch to FX5200 isn't a smart move by Apple. Either they should leave the present card and maybe give it 64MB or put in a Mobility R9600 and update the 12" PowerBook to Mobility R9700 at the same time.
 

katie ta achoo

macrumors G3
May 2, 2005
9,170
2
grapes911 said:
So basically it is a white powerbook?

Uhh, I don't see standard bluetooth!

So .. it's a white, crippled powerbook.

NO BLUETOOTH FOR YOU! Come back, one year!

(unless I can't read and it's in there. Whatever.)
 

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
10,635
0
Working for MI-6
Lacero said:
Lets hope the real new iBook is thinner. 0.6 inches anyone?
That would be very nice - but, I think that we will have to wait for the 'Books with Pentium M's before we see an Apple portable that thin.
 

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
8,803
0
grapes911 said:
But I can't ever remember any iBook having a faster vid card than than the current PowerBooks of the time. Can anyone confirm or dispute this (my memory tends to be flakey)?

www.apple-history.com seems to be a pretty accurate portrayal of macs and their specs on any given quarter of any given year

sometimes the difference between an ibook and the powerbook has been slight all around, but i could not imagine apple upping the ibook to current powerbook specs without also upping the powerbook specs

the clamshell ibook of july 1999 got airport capability and uniform motherboard architecture before the g3 powerbook did
 

AP_piano295

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2005
1,076
11
amac4me said:
I wonder if Apple will release new iBooks after the "Buy a Mac. Get a free iPod mini." promotion. I would think that they would but would welcome any new iBooks as part of the promotion.

If they get these new iBooks out ASAP, it would be a great boost for sales considering the Back to Schook shopping season.
WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN :D
Half the posts on this site are about the ibooks that (cross fingers, knock on wood) should be released sometime tommorow.
 

AP_piano295

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2005
1,076
11
budugu said:
Why not! ... as i mentioned in anothere thread ...emac, imac, power mac use 9600! with different menories and bandwidths 64, 128, 256! I think apple would want to consolidate it's line for now ... more than get into product differentiation. Thus a bottlenecked :p version of 9600 is what we are going to see!
bottlenecked... what does that mean :(