The new iBooks sucks!!!!

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by Han Solo 1, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Han Solo 1 macrumors 6502

So I exchanged my Retina Mini today for an iPad Air. I knew that the new iBooks look is not for me, so I backed up my mini (with the old iBooks) onto my work pc and went to Best Buy. When I got back, I restored and yep, the crappy milky white garbage greeted me upon opening the app.

What gives? I thought that everything restored as it was on the backup?

Is there any way to go back to the old iBooks?

I like iOS 7 mostly, but the pale white garbage looks horrible.

2. HengenJL macrumors 6502a

HengenJL

You will need to delete the new version of iBooks and then import the old copy of iBooks. The old copy of iBooks will be in the Trash Can on Windows / Mac as long as you have not emptied it since updating to the new version of iBooks.

3. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

Try Marvin, it is the best epub reader for the iPad.

4. chilady1 macrumors member

chilady1

Agreed. Many disappointed iBooks fans have moved to Marvin and love it!

5. sarakn macrumors 6502a

sarakn

Thank you for the Marvin suggestion. I was looking for an alternative to iBooks on the laptop.

I like how books diplayed using iBooks on the MBP, but it comes with that huge curse of not being about to edit metadata. On the ipad Air, I'm okay with it for now. Using calibre or Adobe Digital Editions to read a book is not the most pleasant experience.

6. dumastudetto macrumors 68020

iBooks is superior to Marvin in every conceivable way. I'm staggered that anyone could claim they have moved to it from iBooks without a huge stack of smilies accompanying the comment.

7. Nevaborn macrumors 65816

Nevaborn

What is wrong with iBooks, all they have done is get rid of the 70's wood shelving and put some minimalist art deco white ones.

They even kept the best feature of being able to turn the page and see the writing theough it, not quite iOS 7 ethos but it is really cool and adds to the experience of a book.

I mean it just took me like 4 seconds to get a 700 page book from the cloud back to my phone. I can't see what more you need. You have brightness and bookmarks.... Your supposed to compare a reader to what a real book experience offers and iBooks works as an alternative to a real book. More and more features is not a better solution it adds clutter. A book has no options but they work fine so does iBooks and I dont need to turn on a seperate light.

8. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

Have you tried Marvin? The fact that you can change between 100+ background colors and font colors, at least 26 different fonts, customize 3 different themes for day, night, and other. Single page, Two column page, or two column landscape for book reading. Adjust Text Size, Margin width, Line Spacing, Paragraph Indent, Paragraph Spacing, quickly and easily are just a few reasons it is superior to iBooks.

You can also connect to Calibre to transfer books. And my favorite, I can be reading a book on my iPhone and when I go to my iPad, just click a button, and it syncs to the page I left off on the other device.

9. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

What exactly changed with iBooks other than they removed the faux wood grain bookshelf? I use mostly the Nook app myself so the new iBooks app wasn't really shocking to me.

10. HengenJL macrumors 6502a

HengenJL

However none of you mention the downfall of not being able to import any purchased iBooks into Marvin...

11. deluxeshredder macrumors 6502a

Faux-wood bookshelf was replaced with rows of disgusting PowerPoint-style shelves, and the subtle book textures were replaced with a simple white blackground.

Many iOS users didn't pay 1.5-2x the price of an Android equivalent to have a unique high-end UI replaced with trendy girly Android-lite bop.

12. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

that is way too much fluff for a book reading app. I agree with evanborn it should be nice and simple to just open up and read a book. I dont want to have to choose between 100 colors for my page or choose between 50 different ways to turn the page. But thats just my opinion, everyone is different so I guess its good to have so many choices in the app store.

just out of curiousity how do purchase books for Marvin? do you have to convert your kindle, nook or ibooks and remove the DRM? or does Marvin link to an ebook store?

13. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

It took me 10 minutes to set up my 3 themes. I have one for day reading, one for night, and the other a soft beige color for brighter light. Depending on the time of day, is what theme I use.

I came from a Nook reader where the font size was either tiny or huge, no in-between. I like the options. And my 56 year OLD eyes like them too.

I use my iPad primarily as a epub reader. I read at least one book a week, usually 2 so options are a HUGE priority for me.

Marvin is not connected to any book store, unlike iBooks, and the Nook and Kindle reader Apps. And the books must be DRM free.

All my books are stored in Calibre, as epubs with no DRM, and I transfer what I plan on reading into Marvin. When the book is done, it gets deleted out of Marvin, and I move on to the next book.

14. ohhmaar macrumors newbie

You've got to try out http://readmill.com
    It's such a great service for reading, it has and iPhone and an iPad app.

15. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

So, you managed to find a way to now complain about the removal of skeuomorphisms. Congratulations, I didn't see that coming.

Although the iOS6 iBooks was pretty damn great: What's wrong with Sepia?

16. Han Solo 1 thread starter macrumors 6502

What they did was change it so that you have a bunch of thumbnails floating in a pool of milk.

Thank goodness I still had my backup. I'm back to the "70's wood shelving" that doesn't burn my damn eyes out when I open the app.

Frakking Apple.