The new iMac is a rip off... (NOT)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by applegenius83, May 5, 2011.

1. applegenius83 macrumors newbie

I thought I'd put this up because of the many times I've been asked whether or not to buy the new 27" iMac...
    I don't know how many times I've heard Apple is ripping people off because you can get a PC with the same hardware for way less $$$. I decided I would check this with a new iMac against a Dell Alienware desktop. Here's what you get:
    Alienware:
    Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English
    Lunar Shadow, Alienware Area-51 Chassis
    Intel® Core™ i7 960 Quad Core Processor (3.2GHz, 8MB Cache)
    6GB DDR3 1333MHz (3x 2GB) Tri Channel Memory
    ATI Radeon™ HD 6950
    1TB - SATA-II, 3Gb/s, 7,200RPM, 32MB Cache HDD
    Dell UltraSharp U2711 27-inch Monitor
    3Yr Ltd. Warranty- Advance Exchange
    Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio
    Single Drive: 24X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write capability
    AlienFX Color, Quasar Blue
    Steam and Portal™ Factory Installed
    No Keyboard
    1 Year Basic Service Plan
    Alienware™ High-Performance Liquid Cooling

This system is priced by Dell at $3098.

The Apple system follows:
    3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 (2600)
    8GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB
    1TB Serial ATA Drive
    AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2GB GDDR5
    Apple Magic Mouse + Magic Trackpad
    Apple Keyboard with Numeric Keypad (English) & User's Guide
    That obviously has the 27" LED backlit monitor built into it...

Here's my evaluation: with the Dell, you get a slightly faster graphics card with half as much memory, 6GB of RAM vs 8GB in Apple, the CPU in the Alienware is about a third slower according to benchmarks, plus you have no input devices whereas the Apple has Magic Mouse, Keyboard and trackpad. The Apple display on the iMac is in my opinion an unquestionably better display, because it has LED backlighting.
    I almost forgot to mention: The iMac is $530 cheaper, priced at $2568. :apple:

2. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

For more comparison, that iMac doesn´t rip you off:

So, let's break apart the iMac with price eh?

27" 2560x1440 IPS display: $1000
    Intel Core i5 2400 3.1GHz: $190
    Radeon HD 6970M 1GB (HD 6850): $170
    1TB 7200RPM HDD: $60
    4GB 1333MHz RAM: $40
    Motherboard: $100
    Power Supply: ~$60
    Bluetooth+Wireless+DVD drive: $50
    Peripherals: $100
    Casing: $100
    Speakers: $20 - $30 for same class speakers as the iMac has

Total: $1900. Apple charges $1999. That's not including the OS, or any fans, heat-sinks, and other little tidbits which you'd have to buy to build your own rig.

Of course Apple paid cheaper for each those parts since they bought them in large quantities, but who doesn´t, that´s how :apple: gaining profit from

3. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

I agree that the iMac is great value but that's not so great a comparison.

Alienware charges too much. They've also not had a chance to upgrade to SB CPUs yet. Additionally and probably most important, the 6950 1GB in the Alienware will thrash the 6970M 2GB beyond all reason.

4. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Indeed, Alienware is on the high-end of price for PCs. You could build a very nice machine for much less - though, without the good screen. Not everyone needs (and some people don't want) a 27-inch 2560x1440 display.

5. Cell-666 macrumors 6502

I built this PC in October. Price the Mac up with SSD's I paid £1680 (about $2700) this s a self build btw.

Intel Core i7-950 Quad Core Processor
    Gigabyte GA X58A-UD3R Socket 1366 Motherboard
    6GB Corsair XMS3 1600MHz DDR3 Triple Channel Memory Kit
    120GB OCZ Vertex Series 2.5" SSD
    60GB OCZ Vertex Series 2.5" SSD
    EVGA GeForce GTX 580 1536MB* *
    NH-D14 Dual Radiator and Fan Quiet CPU Cooler
    900W Evo Labs 80+ ATX Power Supply
    27" Iiyama Prolite PLB2712HDS-B1 LCD TFT Monitor* *
    Win7 Ultimate with disc etc

I've just ordered the below iMac at £2270 (about $3700) abce PC doesn't include mouse, keyboard, speakers and case. But still give a decent comparison. If you add the SSD on the mac spec it becomes very expensive.

3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 Sandygate
    8GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB
    2TB Serial ATA Drive
    AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2GB GDDR5
    MAGIC MOUSE+MAGIC TRACKPAD-Z

As far as rip off, people are paying into the brand, which enables Apple to charge for their goods at a premium. I for one am looking forward to receiving my first iMac, even though i have been building my own PC's for 20 years, and MS has finally produced a very good OS in Win7, I've now bought into the brand with iPhones, iPads, ATV2.

My assimilation is complete lol.

6. smiddlehurst macrumors 65816

While I agree on both points I do wish those who come up with PC specs to match the iMac would realise you MUST compare like-for-like. Even if you personally don't want the 27" IPS display you can't simply drop it out of the spec as it makes up something like two thirds of the price of the iMac (if you buy the equivalent Cinema Display seperately).

Ultimately though such comparisons are usually silly anyway as there are certain factors with a Mac you're paying for that aren't easily quantified. Design, for example. I'm one of those who grew up with large beige boxes and am now willing to pay a premium so that my computers don't look like.. umm... computers. All of those little touches that Apple do so well (and that most manufacturers don't bother with for some odd reason) do have a value attached, it's just that the specific value varies according to individual preferences.

7. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

More like half of the price. haha. Even then I would go with one of Dell's u2711's off of eBay, as you can save over $100 easily that route.

8. ProphetX macrumors regular

I say if you don't like the price. Don't buy it.

9. iCheddar macrumors 6502a

iCheddar

I do see the great value in the iMac, but it's that $1000 for the 27" display that kills it for me. I'd much rather Apple just offer the mythical headless mac. Give me the $1000 system, but without the display. :D

10. G4er? macrumors 6502a

The only thing I would want to rip off the iMac is the built in screen. I'm getting tired of no product between the mini and the Mac Pro.

iChedder,
    I'd even pay $1500 for the mythical headless Mac if the case is easy to get into and has room for two hard drives and the optical drive.

11. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

iMac: £1999

Not having a Windows 'genuine advantage': priceless.

12. applegenius83 thread starter macrumors newbie

Alienware charges too much. They've also not had a chance to upgrade to SB CPUs yet. Additionally and probably most important, the 6950 1GB in the Alienware will thrash the 6970M 2GB beyond all reason.

I agree Alienware charges too much. But don't most people say Apple charges too much as well? If Dell can't upgrade to SB, how come Apple can? That far ahead of the competition? Last I heard Dell was the third top PC maker in the world. Your saying they haven't had a chance to go SB? They've had months.
    6950 thrash a 6970M? Think again! If you look at the actual benchmarks http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html we're talking 1/10 performance difference, even with a mobile card.

13. applegenius83 thread starter macrumors newbie

BTW those are SWEET systems you got! The GTX 580 is THE BOMB! Are those Vertex 3 or Vertex 2 SSDs?

14. jbyun04 macrumors 6502a

jbyun04

I don't know many PC users that would buy Alienware... I can piece a computer better than the iMac at a cheaper price and that's what 99.5% of PC fanboys would do anyway.

Also, there's the upgrade factor. If your iMac dies, you gotta buy the whole thing all over again. In the end PC's are cheaper if you know how to take care of it and don't fall into getting ripped off by "technicians".

That being said, ever since I switched to Mac I've never once had to bother with any maintenance stuff (except cycling the battery) and OSX hasn't buggered out on me. Oh, and I don't get "Windows is now installing updates" every 2 days. ;)

On the bright side of Apple's pricing, at least the computers come with decent graphics power in the MBP and some serious power in the iMacs. I can't wait to see what's coming out next year when I upgrade.