Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

One Still Sheep

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
I have seen a good number of posters on this forum talking about how much they hate the new iMac's design, and a few posters defending the redesign as brilliant. For my part, however, I have to say that the new machine doesn't strike me as particularly good or bad, it is really exactly what I expected Apple would do.

1. Kept current sizes and aluminium unibody (while making the machine more difficult to open).

2. Reduced upgrade/expandability options on the smaller models, while maintaining user-replaceable RAM on the 27". Sadly, no ability to easily swap the HDD (not that I expected one, but it would be a welcomed feature).

3. Less reflective (but not matte) lamented screen. Supposedly, 75% less reflective, which is certainly a good thing if accurate (27" Thunderbolt Display also?).

4. They removed the optical drive (I gave up fighting this battle when I figured out that they weren't ever going to support BluRay). This was clearly a case of planned obsolescence, and no one should have been surprised by it.

5. Somehow thinner and lighter (the official Apple slogan, I believe).

So, from my perspective, the new iMac design isn't really an issue for much emotion one way or the other: if Apple was going to make a new iMac it would be this, or something very similar (from my perspective). It is, based simply on early speculation, by all figures still quite a good machine and a worthwhile purchase for someone looking for an Apple all-in-one: the 21" model is for people who need a simple email/Facebook/web-browsing/YouTube machine and are willing to pay Apple prices for such a desktop, while the 27" remains (with tweaks) a fairly powerful machine capable of some gaming or Photoshopping a UFO into almost anything required.

One minor disappointment I must say though is that the $2000 model does not come with Core i7 as standard: for that kind of money there is no reason it should ship with an i5; shouldn't be the $200 upgrade that I imagine it will be when available.

The one thing I did (and still do) find truly laughable was the propaganda for this machine. I really couldn't help laughing during the keynote as Schiller gushed over the 5mm edge. Really? That's the selling point for this machine, the edge? Have you ever heard of anything being sold because it just has such an amazing edge? Maybe if it were a set of kitchen knifes, but a computer's main selling point is that it has a thin bit around the corners?

Don't get me wrong, the audience cheered like Apple was the messiah when the revealed that oh-so-thin bit on the big screen; Apple knows what they are doing; we are trained to believe thinner = better technology at this point, but still, all the perfectly angled photos in the Apple store just seem funny: Apple is saying that the principle selling point for an otherwise (presumably) descent computer is that it has a narrow frame of aluminium around it.

Dr FranknFurter

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2012
Cambridge UK
I have seen a good number of posters on this forum talking about how much they hate the new iMac's design, and a few posters defending the redesign as brilliant. For my part, however, I have to say that the new machine doesn't strike me as particularly good or bad, it is really exactly what I expected Apple would do.

1. Kept current sizes and aluminium unibody (while making the machine more difficult to open).

2. Reduced upgrade/expandability options on the smaller models, while maintaining user-replaceable RAM on the 27". Sadly, no ability to easily swap the HDD (not that I expected one, but it would be a welcomed feature).

3. Less reflective (but not matte) lamented screen. Supposedly, 75% less reflective, which is certainly a good thing if accurate (27" Thunderbolt Display also?).

4. They removed the optical drive (I gave up fighting this battle when I figured out that they weren't ever going to support BluRay). This was clearly a case of planned obsolescence, and no one should have been surprised by it.

5. Somehow thinner and lighter (the official Apple slogan, I believe).

So, from my perspective, the new iMac design isn't really an issue for much emotion one way or the other: if Apple was going to make a new iMac it would be this, or something very similar (from my perspective). It is, based simply on early speculation, by all figures still quite a good machine and a worthwhile purchase for someone looking for an Apple all-in-one: the 21" model is for people who need a simple email/Facebook/web-browsing/YouTube machine and are willing to pay Apple prices for such a desktop, while the 27" remains (with tweaks) a fairly powerful machine capable of some gaming or Photoshopping a UFO into almost anything required.

One minor disappointment I must say though is that the $2000 model does not come with Core i7 as standard: for that kind of money there is no reason it should ship with an i5; shouldn't be the $200 upgrade that I imagine it will be when available.

The one thing I did (and still do) find truly laughable was the propaganda for this machine. I really couldn't help laughing during the keynote as Schiller gushed over the 5mm edge. Really? That's the selling point for this machine, the edge? Have you ever heard of anything being sold because it just has such an amazing edge? Maybe if it were a set of kitchen knifes, but a computer's main selling point is that it has a thin bit around the corners?

Don't get me wrong, the audience cheered like Apple was the messiah when the revealed that oh-so-thin bit on the big screen; Apple knows what they are doing; we are trained to believe thinner = better technology at this point, but still, all the perfectly angled photos in the Apple store just seem funny: Apple is saying that the principle selling point for an otherwise (presumably) descent computer is that it has a narrow frame of aluminium around it.

Although I will be buying this version as i've been waiting since last year! :D I do share you resoned points above. I to think it strange that Apple is seeminly obsessed with the Edge. As much as I appreiciate thin and beautifull designs I to cannot see the advantage of making it so thin at the cost of some (if not all) features. I guess it's just the Apple way and we either love it and buy it or not.

Personally I would of liked to see it a bit thicker all the way accross with the SD slot on the side and user upgradable RAM on both versions and at a push user replacable hard drives:)

NextGenApple

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2011
£1099 and £1249 for a UK spec just to go on facebook,Twitter and watch youtube Vids is a LOT to pay just to do those things, if as you say thats what the base is for. One would think/hope they would choose iPad or something to do that.

If that was the case why not give it a lesser processor same form factor and sell it for around £850 or so. Apple are taking advantage of people liking of the iPhone and thinking they will be like zombies and pay/buy anything with the logo on. The price for base 13" rMBP is shocking considering the storage space offered, thats another story though for another day.

For hardcore work some are still complaining the 27" are a let down. The price increase for lesser specs/hardware than last years model is a concern. As is thinner, it's not like you're carrying the iMac around. its as if Apple are getting too big for their boots due to ios success. Love Apple but every dog has its fay ask BB/NOKIA etc

One Still Sheep

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
£1099 and £1249 for a UK spec just to go on facebook,Twitter and watch youtube Vids is a LOT to pay just to do those things, if as you say thats what the base is for. One would think/hope they would choose iPad or something to do that.

Well, my statement was somewhat hyperbolic. While I'm sure there are plenty of people who have bought an iMac and used it for little more than Facebook, it is true that an iPad would be a better choice given the price difference. My point is that the lower end of the iMac line would probably suffice a fair percentage of the population (in terms of their desktop requirements); this would also include using all the programs in iLife, as well as something such program suites as Office, etc.

Put more simply: outside of serious work (and I suppose gaming, but I don't know much about that), the lower end of the iMac line will probably prove a capable computer.

Of course if you are wanting the best value for your dollar, an all-in-one is not the best way to go; tower-based systems (whether full, slim, or miniature setups) are simply more economical. Additionally, Apple computers are just more expensive (no denying that -- not that I would want to, I'm not a fanboy), as something like the Dell XPS all-in-one line can be had for significantly less money.

I've often thought that part of the appeal of Apple is that it doesn't cover their computers in plastic; I'm surprised more companies haven't picked up on this simple trick. Easy business strategy: don't use plastic on anything and charge the customer more. Of course, I wouldn't use aluminum as Apple will probably sue you for using an element that they invented, but just about anything other than plastic will make people think it is worth more. There is a subconscious connection of plastic = cheap, metal = valuable.

NextGenApple

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2011
Wasn't having ago and I may have come across as being abrupt, so accept my apology. Yes Agree with your 2nd post.

One Still Sheep

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
Wasn't having ago and I may have come across as being abrupt, so accept my apology. Yes Agree with your 2nd post.

No need to apologize, I didn't think you were being rude. I actually agreed with your post for the most part as well.

One of these days Apple will probably go too far and loose a lot of their fan base. It's hard to say if this would be a good or bad thing for them in the long run; Apple may be a bit too popular for its own good at the moment.

Whackman

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2012
yeah same here. They are totally neglecting creative proffesionals.

No more iMac for me. The Mac mini is much better value. But i'm thinking whether i should buy anymore Apple desktops at all.

The new iMac, although a nice looking desktop, is just for apple wannahave junkies now.

Yesterday i almost bought a new Mac mini. But i couldn't do it. I'm beginning to dislike the way apple is going.

So, for now, i'm still working on my old Mac mini and reconsidering my option.

In any case, NO iMAC for me.

emjaymert

macrumors member
May 26, 2008
I was lucky enough to snag a 2011 21.5" i7 Imac off the refurbished area yesterday :) For me this is a much better choice over the 2012 i5 model.

One Still Sheep

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
I was lucky enough to snag a 2011 21.5" i7 Imac off the refurbished area yesterday :) For me this is a much better choice over the 2012 i5 model.

If you don't mind me asking, what did that run you? I haven't seen an i7 refurbished in that screen size.

Probably the biggest failing of the 2011 models is that (if I remember correctly) they lack USB 3.0. The newest iteration of USB is not necessary, but would be a useful interface to have available (more so than thunderbolt). Even so, best of luck with your new machine.

SpeedJ

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2012
I think the new Mac looks nice......from the front.
I think that it looks really silly from the side & for the edge to be a selling point is laughable indeed.

As far as I know, to run Photoshop optimally you should have 2 or 3 SSD's, (at least 3 drives)..one for the OS, one for PS & one as a scratch disk. I don't think you have room inside an iMac for them.
Also, there are some weeks that I need to burn around six CDs for customers in my Photography business.
I can hear some say that I can buy an external burner or external SSD & utilize Thunderbolt but isn't the point of an all in one machine, to reduce desk clutter.

I guess the new iMac is not for me. It really is a shame as I was looking forward to trying out the Apple OS that so many rave about. Sigh!

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
And here is why

I agree. I think the machine looks nice, but its exactly what you mentioned. Going forward, I think were going to see a lot more iMeh. The portables will probably get some love, as they are a significant part of the 15% of revenue. Everything else, well you know.

Attachments

• Screen-Shot-2012-10-25-at-2.34.13-PM.png
    Screen-Shot-2012-10-25-at-2.34.13-PM.png
    39.1 KB · Views: 73

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
I am quite happy with the new 2012 iMac. My favorite features:

1) Finally a reasonable amount of SSD space. I will buy the largest 100% SSD version, and use it in conjunction with my external 8TB Pegasus R4 Thunderbolt array (configured as 4TB RAID 10). I would have preferred 1TB SSD... but still... this will do until I buy a replacement in about 2 years. By then, I would expect about 2TB SSD.

2) I suspect that the SD slot will be significantly faster than the "slow as death" SD slot in the older machines. I am about 90+% sure which controller Apple is using this time... and if I am right... it is great. I am fine with it being in the back.

I am personally not an ODD advocate, and embracing its demise. Still, I would have preferred an ODD for one more product generation. It is not a huge deal, as I only use optical media a few times a year... and I do have a superdrive... but still, I would have preferred it to be integrated one more time.

/Jim

NextGenApple

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2011
Also increase the price of the product that has no ODD then say people can buy one. More £££ for Apple as if I was in the situation I would choose a Apple USB drive. The whole thing is money orientated. Anyone thinking they'll get into the iMac like before better think again. Hopefully Revision 2 will be better and I can purchase. If not ill stick with 2011 iMac I have and think of something to do.

One Still Sheep

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
I think the new Mac looks nice......from the front.
I think that it looks really silly from the side & for the edge to be a selling point is laughable indeed.

As far as I know, to run Photoshop optimally you should have 2 or 3 SSD's, (at least 3 drives)..one for the OS, one for PS & one as a scratch disk. I don't think you have room inside an iMac for them.
Also, there are some weeks that I need to burn around six CDs for customers in my Photography business.
I can hear some say that I can buy an external burner or external SSD & utilize Thunderbolt but isn't the point of an all in one machine, to reduce desk clutter.

I guess the new iMac is not for me. It really is a shame as I was looking forward to trying out the Apple OS that so many rave about. Sigh!

Well, someone could certainly use Photoshop on even a lower-end iMac, it just wouldn't be the ideal situation; I've done far more, with far less, in a pinch. Of course this isn't to say that it's ideal. I understand people's gripes against low-end hardware (as I gripe a good deal myself), but we should be careful to remember that having a less than perfect setup does not necessitate an inability to perform well, and in my personal experience, out-perform all competitors.

I say all of this to simply point out that if you really want to try an iMac maybe you should, just be aware of your options and potential hurdles prior to committing. If, for example, someone really needs, or wants, an all-in-one for graphically intense applications, the 2012 27" may actually be the best choice (there is also the HP Z1, but frankly I find that system to be even more over-hyped than Apple -- though in a somewhat different way).

Of course this does not let Apple off the hook: my position toward Apple is that they have allowed their obsession with design to rule their company, but this does not mean that their products are unworthy of purchase. The pity is that the iMac has very little competition. This is really for two reasons: first, because few companies other than Apple are making the type of all-in-one that the video-editing/photography/graphic artist market wants, and secondly, because many of these same people want an Apple because they want an Apple (whether for the OS or because if looks so shiny).

Simply put, Apple neglects this market because they CAN; iPad users might fancy an Android, and MacBook users can always find a high-end laptop, but iMac users, for the most part, aren't going anywhere.

emjaymert

macrumors member
May 26, 2008
If you don't mind me asking, what did that run you? I haven't seen an i7 refurbished in that screen size.

1,229 plus tax.I kept my eye on the refurbished area frequently.Here is my receipt:

We'll send you an email when
your order is ready for pick up.

Refurbished iMac 21.5-inch 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
$1,229.00
$1,229.00
Pick Up: Ships to store. Available Nov 6 at App

Last edited:

One Still Sheep

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
1,229 plus tax.I kept my eye on the refurbished area frequently.Here is my receipt:

We'll send you an email when
your order is ready for pick up.

Refurbished iMac 21.5-inch 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
$1,229.00
$1,229.00
Pick Up: Ships to store. Available Nov 6 at App

That's not too bad, I imagine the i7s go quickly.

Last edited:

SpeedJ

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2012
Well, someone could certainly use Photoshop on even a lower-end iMac, it just wouldn't be the ideal situation; I've done far more, with far less, in a pinch. Of course this isn't to say that it's ideal. I understand people's gripes against low-end hardware (as I gripe a good deal myself), but we should be careful to remember that having a less than perfect setup does not necessitate an inability to perform well, and in my personal experience, out-perform all competitors.

I think I might buy myself a PC & my wife an iMac & see how they perform against each other.

I certainly don't have anything against Apple & I would dearly love to test their OS but I just don't think an iMac will suit my personal needs.
I am often working on 2 gigabyte-plus files in Photoshop & also often have to sort through 40,000 images in Lightroom.
I know that perhaps a Mac Pro is more suitable for my needs but I'm not prepared to spring for that outlay.

jmpnop

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2010
They're making Mac closer to iToys with every release - no user-upgradable RAM, HDD, no optical disk drive, pro computer have 128GB storage and integrated graphics, Mac OS gets closer to iOS with every release. Now that components are glued to the board, they charge freakin lot for upgrades - $800 for 128GB to 512GB SSD upgrade, 8GB RAM for $200, wtf really! Apple no longer cares for customers (especially Mac customers), they've become a mere money grabbing company:(

One Still Sheep

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
Apple's Next Move

I began thinking about Apple's approach to the iMac and something rather obvious suddenly occurred to me.

If Apple continues to redesign the iMacs, given their companies sense of aesthetics, what will the new iMac look like? While I can't say for certain whether the machine will or won't have a "chin" or if the stand will ever swivel (and so on), I feel fairly confident about this one thing:

The_future.jpg

If I am correct in guessing that they will eventually remove ALL external ports, and make the device completely sealed off (a true all-in-one, I suppose), then what would be the logical next step?

Here's my guess:
circles.jpg

I think they will remove the SD card slot and Ethernet port. Both would be somewhat controversial if removed, but here is what I suspect would be Apple's reasoning:

Ethernet port: Everyone has super-fast Wifi, there is no need to have another cable plugged into the back of your computer. There is no reason to have two connections (the Wifi card and the Ethernet port) to perform one function (internet connection).

SD Card Slot: No one uses this thing any more. It's a hassle to plug in your card, and most cameras can connect wirelessly now anyway.

The SD card slot is particularly interesting because it WILL no doubt be used less due to its new position on the iMac; many people will opt to use an external device with a built-in card reader (for example a USB or Thunderbolt hub with a built-in SD slot) instead of reaching behind their screen (and most likely moving the screen) to plug in the card. The lack of use of this slot will, in turn, justify its removal.

This is all speculation, of course, but it is something which seems like a possibility (to me, at least).

fastlanephil

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2007

From what I can gather the only difference between the i5 and the i7 processors is mult-ithreading and very few application take advantage of it. Also I've read that multi-threading has issues with some of the applications that can use it.

So getting the i7 may just be a waste of your money.

Most of my apps don't even take advantage of multi-core processing. So that's where the i5 turbo boost feature pays off.

Mister Bumbo

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2012
From what I can gather the only difference between the i5 and the i7 processors is mult-ithreading and very few application take advantage of it. Also I've read that multi-threading has issues with some of the applications that can use it.

So getting the i7 may just be a waste of your money.

Most of my apps don't even take advantage of multi-core processing. So that's where the i5 turbo boost feature pays off.

Yep, that's about it. :) In some cases the i7 processors have more cache which is an performance increase, however so small it's almost negligible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.