The new iMessage

Discussion in 'iOS 10' started by xero9, Jun 13, 2016.

1. xero9 macrumors 6502a

Anyone else NOT a fan of all the crap they're shoving into iMessage? It looks freaking terrible and possibly really annoying depending on who your contacts are.

Was really hoping for iMessage on iCloud (like WhatsApp Web) and Apple Pay within Messages, but not this..

2. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Apple is following a trend. More and more people around the world are spending more time in messaging apps than anywhere else.

If I recall correctly some of them allow you to make payments or send someone money (which you can do in iOS 10 now). The appstore has tons of emoji keyboards that people download and use like Bitmoji and That Kim Kardashian app. Heck even Google's new iOS keyboard displays google searches in the keyboard itself.

Apple is basically lighting a beacon saying "come to iMessage" to all developers.

3. AppleFan91 macrumors 65816

AppleFan91

I'm waiting until I can get my hands on it later today before I pass judgement. That's when a bunch of stuff will be found not mentioned in the keynote. I will say I'm disappointed in the lack of Dark mode, Apple Pay in iMessages and a swype feature for the native keyboard.

4. chatbr macrumors member

I dont mind added functionality as long as its optional. You dont have to use it if you dont like. I dont like the gimmicky stuff but I welcome payments and integration with other apps.

5. thatJohann macrumors 6502a

thatJohann

I love all the new features. It's direct fire against Facebook messenger and snapchat. I'm super excited. Anyone else?

6. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

I actually like some of the changes they made with iMessage.

7. Paddle1 macrumors 68030

8. ajiuo macrumors 65816

I'm not particularly impressed with iOS 10 at all... Seems like the least impressive version... Has some cool stuff but none of the key features that anyone wants... No customizable control center, no dark mode, no hiding apps, no peer-to-peer Apple Pay... Pretty much any cool rumor that existed is not true

9. DJLAXL, Jun 13, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2016

DJLAXL macrumors 6502

DJLAXL

Love the API stuff. Friends always send me links to stuff....it will be nice to have it there in the app. Customization and fun is always nice, and will reserve judgement. Definitely wont use the emoji replacement though lol.

10. xero9 thread starter macrumors 6502a

In a way you can't say don't use it if you don't want to, because I can't control what people send to me. I don't want a bunch of full screen messages showing up. It's just gimmicky.

Ahhh crap I forgot about dark mode. When I saw it for tvOS, I thought for sure they'd include it in iOS10. Maybe 11.

11. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

People can send you animated gifs, big emojis now If they wanted to. What's the difference?

12. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

Apple made it a part of the OS in a keynote and he's gone all grumpy old man who wants the kids off his lawn.

13. AndyK macrumors 65816

AndyK

Clearly aiming for the teen market, I imagine anyone over the age of somethingTeen won't even use it & even toggle it off if possible.

14. xero9 thread starter macrumors 6502a

It just looks crammed and very child-like. Something I'd expect BlackBerry to put out into their BBM product.

The rest of iOS 10 looks promising, but this one aspect, which I use 90% of my phone for, I am not a fan of.

15. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

The thing is 90% of people use messaging and that is why they added all these features to it.

16. Paddle1 macrumors 68030

You might not be, but others will be. There's nothing wrong with allowing people to have a choice.

17. Speechless macrumors 6502

VERY excited about the new features. Highlight from the event.

18. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

Then don't use it and try to get the people you iMessage to not use it. Simple, right?

19. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Then what the heck would they whine about?

20. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

There is plenty to whine about in the new iOS.

21. clukas macrumors 6502a

clukas

Such as the new look of notifications ... not really a fan :eek:.

22. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

The harder thing to do is find a positive!

23. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

Some people aren't a fan of the new design of anything iOS 10.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 13, 2016 ---
    On this board or from the presentation?

24. boston04and07 macrumors 65816

boston04and07

I was really, really hoping for actual cloud integration with Messages. If we still aren't able to sync chat histories and message deletions with iOS 10, I'll be quite disappointed...

25. Ryanclbryant macrumors member

Ryanclbryant

They've taken a lot of cues from Facebook Messenger - I expect that a lot of folks on the forum here won't be interested in the new features, but it will help developers by attracting a wider audience (back) to iOS. I personally am going to use a fraction of the full potential in iMessage, but as a developer I'm excited that Apple is stuffing features in that all kinds of people will be interested in because it means there is a stronger likelihood they will have a chance to interact with my app.