The New Intel PowerBook Chip Has Arrived!

ajampam

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2005
Apple!Freak said:
See, here it is. :)

Except it won't hit the market till next year.

Hmmm....I thought that Yonah would be out next year, but didnt expect the first mactels to come with those....I would have very much preferred something of the Merom platform......

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
I wonder (seriously: not trying to make any sort of joke here) if any Arab/Islamic Mac users will be ticked off that the new Intel notebook chips are made in Israel and have Israeli/Jewish names.

Any Arab/Islamic Mac users want to chime in? What do you think about this?

Man In Black

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2005
California
clayj said:
I wonder (seriously: not trying to make any sort of joke here) if any Arab/Islamic Mac users will be ticked off that the new Intel notebook chips are made in Israel and have Israeli/Jewish names.

Im Iranian....but im not religeous or political. So I dont care. :D

zami

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2003
South London
clayj said:

What other chips are made in Israel?

I think it is a big mistake and a provocation. The whole market seems to be in american/israeli hands.

savar

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2003
District of Columbia
zami said:

I think it is a big mistake and a provocation. The whole market seems to be in american/israeli hands.
Well what should they do? The Intel lab in Israel is the company's most productive in the world. Israel is a very advanced, extremely well-educated nation. Frankly its the reason why I am partial to their cause...the whole rest of the east is such a wasteland of senseless killing and archaic mores.

osiris315

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2005
Valencia, Spain
savar said:
...the whole rest of the east is such a wasteland of senseless killing and archaic mores.
That's a bit of a silly response!

A typical tunnel-visioned American response, who doesn't know or understand anything in the Middle-East further than what they can grasp off the TV.

Oh and Moors (not 'mores') were medieval Muslim inhabitants of Iberia and north Africa, not from Arabia.

Kushiro

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2005
Genève, Suisse
osiris315 said:
Oh and Moors (not 'mores') were medieval Muslim inhabitants of Iberia and north Africa, not from Arabia.
I do believe that savar meant 'mores' in the sense of 'social norms,' and not 'Moors' in the sense of 'the people of Northern Africa/Iberia.'

mvc

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2003
Outer-Roa
Please, get a better education before you rant...

osiris315 said:
That's a bit of a silly response!

A typical tunnel-visioned American response, who doesn't know or understand anything in the Middle-East further than what they can grasp off the TV.

Mores are strongly held social beliefs or taboos . The original poster was not referring to Moorish people. Next time you criticise someone else's general knowledge or understanding, you'd better make very sure of your own facts first.

Pot meet kettle, Stone, meet glass house.

As for American Tunnel vision, well, it could be said that there is also a lot of knee-jerk Anti American tunnel vision in Europe ;-)

Nice looking chip by the way ;)

DeSnousa

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
Lets try to keep this on topic :)

As for the image wow it cease to amaze me how small the processors are. I wonder how small a G5 chips is, unless the chip is that big part in the Powermac.

javiercr

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2005
London
zami said:

The market is in the hands of whoever was smart enough to become a market leader, I don't care who makes it, if a muslim country made an 8 core, 8Ghz, 5watt processor we'd all buy it and why would it be a provocation?

zami

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2003
South London
javiercr said:
The market is in the hands of whoever was smart enough to become a market leader, I don't care who makes it, if a muslim country made an 8 core, 8Ghz, 5watt processor we'd all buy it and why would it be a provocation?

Not true. The US would never permit what they consider to be a strategic resource to fall into the hands of their enemies. Look at the fuss about Iran and nuclear power while Israel has more nuclear warheads than the UK and France combined.

Will it have "Made in Israel" on the chip? Of course it won't and I wonder why.

lopresmb

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2005
thats pretty cool, I can't wait to see what they put in the new macs, and if its the yonah, sweet. Even a current pentium M would be awesome, but a more powerful, lower consumption would be even better?

--also, is the Yonah aslo dual core, or will there be a dual core version of it?

jrv3034

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2002
topgunn said:
Oh, Noooo, I'm so sorry. It's the MOOPS. The correct answer
is, The MOOPS.
THAT was funny!

I bet there's a bunch of folks here that have no idea what you're writing...

They must be OUT OF THE LOOP!!!!! ;)

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
topgunn said:
Oh, Noooo, I'm so sorry. It's the MOOPS. The correct answer
is, The MOOPS.
Nice pull! But, clearly, the poster you refer to just made a small typo. ;)

Back OT, nice looking chip. Can't wait to see how the new product lines compare to current PPC fare. I'm still hopeful for a MWSF announcement, with new InteliMac PB's shipping in March.

Voidness

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2005
Null
clayj said:

Check this out:

http://www.intel.com/jobs/israel/sites/haifa.htm

Both the MMX Technology and Centrino were developed in Isreal. Yonah (Technicaly a Pentium M, in reality a glorified Pentium 3) is part of the Centrino technology. It might not be made in Isreal, but the all R&D took place there, that's for sure.

From what I know, no one gives a damn about this in arab countries. Everyone has Centrino laptops, and they love it. There isn't even a market for AMD there, no one knows about their processors. As for Apple over there, they're ridiculously expensive it isn't even funny.

Intel does a horrible job when it comes to releasing next-gen processors. As for as I remember, they've issued recalls for every single processor generation since the Pentium 1 when the processor was first released ( latest being the Pentium 4 Extreme Edition, over here http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=25267 ) So be prepared to return your new shiny Intel Mac when you first get it. :(

I also don't want that stupid "Intel Inside" sticker on my next Powerbook :mad:

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
Ohmgod, antiAmerican stuff on a Mac forum. (seems like an oxymoron -- Macs are American.) All we Yanks believe is we get off our tvs? Huh? From what I've seen of the BBC, it is pure propaganda, ala George Orwell, and they have been lately caught making up news. I never get news off the TV. And if I happen to hear it on the radio or TV, it's a rehash of what I already read on my own.

As for doing a constructive, productive thing by producing a moral Capitalistic invention of the new Intel chipped Mac PB, if that's a "provocation" to anti Semites around the world, I'm confused. A provocation would be, in my mind, blowing up the Tube. Inventions that push forward our culture and civilization are wonderful things, not "provocations".

There used to be a PLO training school in the old Soviet Union where Arafat got old time Leninist terrorist tactics taught to his people in order to fight "the Jews", called as I remember Patrice Lumbumba university. This sort of Orwellian "doubletalk" on the word "provocation" sounds like one of the first year's lessons at Patrice Lumbumba.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.