The New iPad 2: Reasons for Faster Hardware Upgrades

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Err0xx, Dec 22, 2010.

1. Err0xx, Dec 22, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2010

Err0xx macrumors member

I think that so many people are comparing the iPad 2's release features to the iPhone release features as a guideline. People saying that the iPad 2 won't have a flash if it has a back-facing camera, because the 3G/3Gs didn't, etc. I think that these kind of comparisons are absurd at best. In my opinion, Apple will NOT hold back as many key features as it did with the iPhone until later versions simply because of one thing: Apple is currently "The company to beat" in the tablet/phone world and they have made themselves a target of other companies, as seen by the recent Motorola ad and several comments from Android executives.

There are tons of Android tablets coming out, some of which will no doubt be of excellent quality, not to mention that Honeycomb looks pretty damn good from what we know of it. Finally Android is becoming more consolidated and I can see a more unified Android version across the many Android devices with the release of 3.0+, especially in the tablet world since Honeycomb is the first version that Google deems "fit for a tablet." Given that most of the major players in the Android tablet world will all be on the same Honeycomb version, this is going to be lucrative for developers on an app-design basis: having a stronger base-level hardware to work with and a more standard/unified OS, sharing many similiarities with the iPad's platform in terms of unified software and strong hardware.

I can honestly see Android tablets giving the iPad a greater run-for-its-money in 2011 than Android phones gave the iPhone when it was released- Android in the phone world is seriously fragmented, but with the major Android tablets all coming under Honeycomb, it could be a different story. I think iPad 2 has to have a front facing camera, a rear facing camera with flash, a stronger processor, more RAM, a gyro, better graphics and a slightly improved screen to keep an edge on the tablet market, all while keeping pretty good battery life. No doubt that Motorola and Samsung are going to be bringing many of these options to the table and considering that many consumers will be entering the tablet world in 2011, the iPad must keep an advantage in features to compete with the more unified and feature-rich offerings from the Android devices in the world of tablets. So, in conclusion, I do NOT think that the iPad will follow the iPhone's slowly-updated-feature set trend; it can't afford to, as it has much more direct competition than the iPhone did during its early life cycle. I think that the iPad 2 will feature many of the same improvements of the iPhone 4, including 2 cameras, more RAM, etc. Now that the iPhone 4 is a bit ahead, or at least right on, the bell-curve in terms of technological offerings, I think each subsequent iPhone launch will be a direct reflection of the following iPad, in other words, the iPhone 5 will have many of the features that the iPad 3 will have, the iPhone 6 will have many of the new features that will be seen in the iPad 4, etc.

When Android becomes more unified, not if, but when IMO, the app market is going to explode; it's already been growing at a HUGE rate as it is and the new Android Marketplace revamp looks really nice. Apps alone are not going to keep iOS in the position it is now, in order for the iPad to keep its high sales, hardware is going to have to advance faster than it did on the iPhone. I think iPad 2 will see considerable updates, enough to make current owners upgrade and enough to bring in new buyers from the tablet market.

What do you guys think? Slow iPad hardware updates, as with the iPhone, or more aggressive updates due to more intense competition and Apple being the target of the big players in the mobile industry? I'll be interested to hear your comments!

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Of course there will be hardware upgrades, but that's still 2 seasons away.

Currently, iPad is more responsive than devices with duo core xyz atom processors.

Also, just about every single Android tablet is charging more for half the display size. Most Android tablets (if not all) do not have high quality IPS LED display, and no official tablet optimized app store.

3. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

But what you fail to realize (OP) is that Apple builds products that Steve likes, and he hopes that you like them too.

Apple doesn't do things just because the compition does. Nor is Apple trying to corner the market.

When Steve came back to Apple, it was in the poop hole. He has taken the stock from five bucks a share to over $300. He has also taken them from almost being bankrupt to having over 51 billion in cash. I'd say let him do it his way. Besides, he does make products I want.

4. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

I haven't seen any of those things you've been complaining about.

5. Err0xx thread starter macrumors member

The original U.S. Constitution worked well too, even though it didn't even have a definition for what a U.S. Citizen was; just because something worked, doesn't mean it will continue to do so, without change. Consider the possibility that the "competition" begins doing stuff better. Making hardware updates slower then the competition, while relying on the crutch of a superior software base, at the moment, seems like a temporary "fix" at best. I totally agree with you- Apple throws out products that I LOVE. I have an iPad, iPhone 4, MacBook pro, iMac- don't own a Windows machine or an Android and I don't plan to. It just seems that everyone is assuming, in the discussions that I've read, that Apple will continue it's slow hardware-update trends with the iPad just because that was the case with the iPhone, which was in an era of much less direct competition. In order to continue dominating in the mobile market as it has these past few years, can the product-release model that Apple has established for itself continue or does it need a faster pace?

6. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

How about just sitting back and enjoy the products you like, buy what fits you, and move on. That way you dont have to think about it too much and really enjoy what else life has to offer!:)

7. Err0xx thread starter macrumors member

There are journalists who write about wars, politicians that talk about laws and reviewers who talk about products. Why can't I, in my free time as a student, talk about the tech that I love without being ridiculed by someone, with the advice of "moving on?" I enjoy using the products that I like and discussing where they might be going- I find it fun and entertaining, if you don't, then stay out of threads titled as this one is and don't comment. Thanks. Oh, and I enjoy what else life has to offer, such as the freedom of using my time how i want.

8. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

WOW, didnt realize you were touchy! Sheesh man, no really, move on, in 5 years you wont care about this...just enjoy your products, buy what products hit the market you like....its not hard.....

9. Gordon Gekko macrumors regular

The problem with the Android tablets is that they require data contracts will mobile carriers where the iPad doesn't. Can't Android manufactures grasp the concept that some people may only want a tablet form factor device that works on WiFi?

10. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

Yes, it needs a faster pace. They also need to open the USB functionality of the dock connector. Let people design USB devices to work with the iPad such as webcams (that way we have a CHOICE, and not have to have one built in), printers, scanners, wired Ethernet, and whatever else anyone can dream up.

I also feel that other tablet makers (like the iPad, not the tablet pc's that have been around for the past 10 years), are building devices and trying to add crap that some people feel the iPad is missing. Just look at all the devices that are labeled "plays flash" or has front and rear cameras. My favorite is the hdmi port. Then when you read the fine print, it states the it does not output protected content. Streaming is the way to go.

I could go on and on, but yea, I hope they pick up the update pace, but it needs to be real updates, not crappy useless features.

11. hcho3 macrumors 68030

You are not going to be able to get what you want from apple. Apple wants to control user experience with itunes and they will make the way they want and they feel confident people will enjoy them. Apple isn't interested in making powerful tablet. They are interesting in gaining market share and apps.

If you are apple share holder and listen to what steve said during the last share holder meeting, you would exactly know what he was talking about. There was someone who asked Steve about making 7 inch tablet, and he questioned Steve's authority. Steve basically said, you are wrong.

Everyone silenced out. Steve drives apple and he will continue the way he wants to take apple as long as these sales improve. Yes, they are improving and breaking the new records every quarter. By all means, Steve wants no interference.

12. chain752 macrumors newbie

Dude, chill.

13. MrWillie, Dec 22, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2010

MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

Nope, $599 at Best Buy for the Tab. ($100 more than the iPad, for a much smaller screen, but more RAM). Of course there is also the Chinese knock offs..

Edit: Best Buy has them on sale for $499.

14. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

In the UK, the Galaxy Tab with 3G is cheaper than the cheapest WiFi only iPad, and that's without any contract on the Tab and £200 of free downloads as a bonus.

15. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

But how much less expensive would it be if you could get it without the 3G radio and the rear camera ? (I would want both cameras removed).

16. Gordon Gekko macrumors regular

True, but if you want 3G you can't just get it for a month, you need to go the whole 2 years or nothing.

17. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

But if you get the Tab, you have to PAY for the 3G radio whether you us it or not. I saved $130 by getting the wifi only iPad, I never would have used the 3G.