The New Ipad and 3g

Discussion in 'iPad' started by dbs0026, Aug 7, 2012.

1. dbs0026 macrumors member

So while out of town in South Central, Ky, the Verizon "new" ipad could not connect to lte/3g/edge. The iphone 4s worked on Extended 3G, HTC Trophy had 3G service and the HTC Thunderbolt switched from LTE to 3G. The ipad though would continue to search.....no signal....search....no signal..

In talking to support they asked that I reset it via itunes.....great idea, if you had internet service.

Tried all ideas that support had (completely worthless though), as they would read the article that I found on the internet myself.

After much back and forth, I gave up, was pointless they couldn't figure it out. In talking to some higher levels at Apple, they instructed me the Verizon Ipad will NOT switch from LTE to 3g, it will only go from LTE to Edge.

Has anyone ever heard of this, the ipad can't work in 3g????

2. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

Verizon doesn't have edge. Their "3G" service is EV-DO. It's faster than edge but slower than what most providers call 3G. It's either LTE or EV-DO. If you turn off LTE in settings you should get their "3G." If you don't either you are out of the area or something is broken (I doubt it is "broken."). If you are on the iPad "prepaid" plan I don't think it will roam on other towers which is why you may not be getting anything.

3. dbs0026 thread starter macrumors member

Sorry, I meant ev-do, was typing one thing and thinking another

I doubt the device is broken, but the prepaid thing might be a better explanation. As I pay monthly on the device. I still don't recall ever hearing that this would be an issue or how the service worked though.

4. cfs macrumors 6502a

Not sure if this would work but maybe if you go into general under settings and reset thennetworl, and restart the device the sim may work. Just a thought.

5. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

With AT&T and T-Mobile if you are on a PrePaid plan vs. a contract plan you don't get the benefit of roaming on other networks. I've "heard" VZW prepaid keeps you off some towers but I'm not not 100% sure. Did you try turning off LTE in settings?

6. dbs0026 thread starter macrumors member

Tried that, didn't work......

----------

Tried turning off LTE also, no go, still wouldn't pick up the 3g settings in that area.

I am willing to bet that Verizon does keep you off some towers, which is total BS, you paid for the data, let the person use it. Otherwise spell it out plain as day, "You might not get service everywhere, it depends on where we let you have service"