The new ipad and magazines

Discussion in 'iPad' started by lapino, Mar 23, 2012.

1. lapino macrumors regular

I read a LOT of magazines on my iPad and thus was very excited to get myself the new Ipad, which thanks to its increased resolution would definitely make magazines look and read even better.

To my surprise, most of the subscriptions I have turn out to be a big disappointment because there's no support for retina (yet) and magazines seem to be rendered specifically for the iPad1 and iPad2. Some of my subsciptions in newsstand : Esquire, Wired, T-Magazine, Popular Photography, Popular Mechanics... all look HORRIBLE on the retina screen.

Anyone know if these publishers have announced they will update for Retina? Very much thinking about cancelling my subscription until they do.

2. brand macrumors 601

brand

It might be worth contacting the publishers directly. Just a thought.

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I tried a couple of freebies yesterday...They look awful....I don't think you are likely to see the non retinal titles change soon though...As posted, contact the publisher or the magazines editor directly.

4. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Give time.

The only mag I have is Distro, and its updated.

5. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

The publishers are not going to go and redo all of their back issues for the Retina display, although you will start seeing new issues get updated going forward. Also, are you getting these subscriptions through Newsstand or an app like Zinio? I have noticed that the magazines through Newsstand look substantially better than the Zinio magazines (which are nothing more than PDF versions).

6. lapino thread starter macrumors regular

Quite the opposite today I'm afraid. Zinio is retina-ready and the PDFs distributed by Zinio look very very sharp on my new iPad. Also, the National Geographic magazine through Zinio is retina-capable too. The magazines I view using newsstand (using their own app) are very pixelated.

7. kvizzel macrumors 6502a

8. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I agree but this is not the place to "ask the question", but it is the place where we should rally the users to go to the magazine sites and ask for THEM to change.

9. kvizzel macrumors 6502a

they will change it... it just takes time...

give them time, be patient.

10. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I have no doubt!

11. FilipH macrumors regular

Flipboard suddenly makes a lot more sense with the new ipad. This really gives you a free magazine that covers a lot of intrests.

I used it first on the ipad 1 when it was just released and found the overall experience to be to slow and uninteresting.

Several updates later, i suddenly find flipboard to have become quite the kickass app on my ipad...

12. Pravda macrumors 6502a

Pravda

Have a question, I have a few magazine paper subscriptions, I read that I can get the same magazines for free onto my iPad. How do I go about doing that?

Thanks.